Richmond Monuments/Memorials/Historic Districts

vdogg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the below link for more on Richmond's Historic Court End Neighborhood... things to do, places to see, etc...

Historic Court End

:thumbsup:

We take for granted the wonderful slide and video pictorials in The Times Dispatch. Phil Riggan is to be complimented for this set of Court End pix.

On a personal note, it's nice to see Morson's Row among Phil's photos. The one on the extreme right (#219 Governor Street) was owned by my Great Granpa. My mother intervened way back in the late 1930's or early 1940's to save them from demolition. I guess from the commentary accompanying the picture they were threatened again in more recent years. My parents were married in that house.

I believe we have the newest shot of the new Bed Hospital at VCU Medical. It and adjacent buildings tower over and surround the White House of the Confederacy.

Tommy, I wonder if permission would be required to put some of these excellent pictures in your Southern Photo of the Day thread?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this will get a decent showing:

ReconciliationStatue.jpg

Invited Guests Include

Former President William Clinton

Former President Jimmy Carter

The Ambassador of the Republic of Benin, West Africa

Archbishop Desmond Mpilo Tutu

The Lord Mayor of Liverpool, England

Morgan Freeman

Oprah Winfrey

Mr. Stephen Broadbent, Sculptor-Liverpool, England

Congressman Robert "Bobby"

Wow. :shok: That looks good, and man, we've got quite the crowd coming!

Quite the crowd INVITED, Tommy. Unfortunately, it's not likely most of them will arrive for the dedication.

I hope you and lots of other Richmonders can attend. Wish I could.

But hey! It just hit me -- if I can get a $59 roundtrip on Jet Blue, I just might do it. :)

That area of Main Street will be pretty nice once this plaza/monument is finished, and Main Street Station Plaza is finished.

Is Main Street Station Plaza the same as The Cathedral Walk.

And I just booked on Jetblue, so I will be there for the monument unvailing. The basic roundtrip fare is $53.96, plus tax of $10.84, Security fee of $5.00 and Passenger facility charge of $9.00 -- total of $78.80 round trip. In on Wed. March 28 and out on Mon. April 2. :)

• 2 months later...

College, and what I think to be Virginia Tech. I've been having some second thoughts lately.. I'm not so sure I want to be an architect anymore..I've been really getting into photography. Maybe a school for the arts would do me good. Who knows..

Sorry for getting off topic :whistling:

College, and what I think to be Virginia Tech. I've been having some second thoughts lately.. I'm not so sure I want to be an architect anymore..I've been really getting into photography. Maybe a school for the arts would do me good. Who knows..

:offtopic: Sorry, but I have to respond to you Tommy...go be an architect - there's more money in that AND you get to use your artistic creativity to do the job (the best of both worlds). Photography likely will not reap you as much income. That doesn't mean that you can't do it on the side as a hobby and still cash in from time to time. Just wanted to give my 2 cents from the point-of-view of someone who has been where you are. That, and 5 more cents might buy you a lemonade on the street corner. OK. I'm done now.

...Now let's talk about Monuments, memorials and historical districts!!!! Yeah!!!

:offtopic: Sorry, but I have to respond to you Tommy...go be an architect - there's more money in that AND you get to use your artistic creativity to do the job (the best of both worlds). Photography likely will not reap you as much income. That doesn't mean that you can't do it on the side as a hobby and still cash in from time to time. Just wanted to give my 2 cents from the point-of-view of someone who has been where you are. That, and 5 more cents might buy you a lemonade on the street corner. OK. I'm done now.

...Now let's talk about Monuments, memorials and historical districts!!!! Yeah!!!

You have no idea how much I appreciate other's opinions :) (not sarcastic, I promise :lol:) It's definitely something to think about though..I will have to give it more thought.

Ok..NOW back to monuments, memorials and historical districts!

Go after what you're passionate about. Get into something where you can wake up every morning, look yourself in the mirror, and be pleased with who you've become, and where you're life's going. If you're passionate about something, you'll be successful, and the money will come on its own.

Eric, what century are you in? 7

Architecture has been my passion for as long as I can remember, but I made the mistake of leaving High School and going to trade school, for what I thought would be enjoyable at the time (and affordable). This was probably the biggest mistake of my life. After completing all the suggested classes in community college, I just relocated jobs to Charlottesville in order to hopefully attend UVA and get back on track. Do not make the same mistake. Also, all my photographer graduate friends seem to still be in retail/food service, which is disappointing.

I am more and more thinking about becoming a developer, though. I am beginning to feel that architects are to limited on their designs by developers that just what now and cheap. As a developer, I could have more control of the overall project, and would love to me more involved in improving Richmond. I need to see how one would work their way into this business. Anyone have a few million dollars to loan me :)

Anyone have a few million dollars to loan me :)

Sadly, that how much it would take...but not really for one starting out. I'd say start with little projects first, such as flipping a house - take the money earned and put it toward a bigger project and so on until you can either gain the confidence in investors (because of your success and workmanship) and then move on to larger projects. I've got a buddy in Richmond right now who is a developer (currently he's working on a project on Monument Ave somewhere - I think they are apartments) who started out buying a bunch of houses, rented them out, gradually sold them and took the money to do a larger project. He worked for the city for a while and got in good with some top business leaders and investors in Richmond...he worked on the Berry Burke (his stake in the project was a little less than half) and has just taken off from there. So, my friend, it's not impossible to get into. You just have to work your way into developing through your own experience, knowledge, and through a bit of politicking! You did make it to UVA I assume. If not, at least build a background of knowledge regarding the trade of developing. It will pay off.

Archived