Richmond Monuments/Memorials/Historic Districts

vdogg

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an update on Coupe's news about the War Memorial at the north end of Lee Bridge.

Ground was broken today on the $8M+ project which should be completed in 2010.

From today's RTD (via Richmond dot com:)

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-180012/155567/

Forgive my ignorance..but what part is the expansion shown above? I've been to the memorial before, but I can't remember what's already there in the rendering.

I remember only the one oblong building with columns. Are there other buildings on the site?

Anyway, today's news story says the 18K square foot expansion will triple the size of the War Memorial on a hillside overlooking the James at the northern end of Lee Bridge.

The Carillon in Byrd Park is a far more imposing monument IMO. It honors war dead of World War One. I wish they would convert the grassy depression in front of it into a reflecting pool...which I think was the original intent.

I remember only the one oblong building with columns. Are there other buildings on the site?

Anyway, today's news story says the 18K square foot expansion will triple the size of the War Memorial on a hillside overlooking the James at the northern end of Lee Bridge.

The Carillon in Byrd Park is a far more imposing monument IMO. It honors war dead of World War One. I wish they would convert the grassy depression in front of it into a reflecting pool...which I think was the original intent.

I just noticed last week that the Carillon is lit from top to bottom in the night. Anyone else notice?

It looked quite nice seeing it lit. It makes for a good walk down Boulevard even better.

I don't think that its just for xmas. It has been lit for a mo0nth or so and very evenly, doesn't look temporary at all, looks great. I've been meaning to drive across the nickle bridge at night to see it.

I don't think that its just for xmas. It has been lit for a mo0nth or so and very evenly, doesn't look temporary at all, looks great. I've been meaning to drive across the nickle bridge at night to see it.

It's nice to hear the Carillon is illuminated. More iconic structures should be, IMO.

Is the big fountain in Byrd Park's Boat Lake lit up in multi colors at night? I always thought it was one of the most unappreciated attractions in Richmond.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It doesn't seem appropriate for Capital Square. People dieing while doing a job for which they are compensated (and for which the risks involved are considered in the compensation, it is no mystery to young recruits that police work is dangerous) isn't on par with citizens changing the political direction or enriching the culture of the commonwealth. Statesmen, artists, citizen activists are appropriate. Given how small the land around the Capital is, a site adjacent to the Capital would be better. That said, judging by the rendering it looks like it may be situated in the vest pocket park area between Old City Hall and the Capital, which would be a nice location for it.

One more thing, the design looks nice. It would be a nice addition to Richmond's monuments.

• 1 month later...

Dedication of the newly expanded Paul and Phyllis Galanti Education Center at The Virginia War Memorial was today, September 17th. The parking lot was full by 9AM, according to a RTD report.

The Memorial overlooks the James River and downtown Richmond and is at the Belvidere Street approach to The Lee Bridge.

Here is a story and video from a recent RTD story:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/sep/13/gala13-ar-502283/

The addition turned out great. The complex is particularly beautiful at night. The lighting scheme has been stepped up and while the female figured had previously been bathed in light, the intensity of the light has been increased and she just glows now, very shiny and bold. Very pretty.

The addition turned out great. The complex is particularly beautiful at night. The lighting scheme has been stepped up and while the female figured had previously been bathed in light, the intensity of the light has been increased and she just glows now, very shiny and bold. Very pretty.

Brent, is it true that it is best viewed from the 2nd Street exit ramp rather than Belvidere Street if headed north across Lee Bridge?

"The story starts here" will be the theme of the 150th Civil War Anniversary in Richmond.

The American Civil War Center and The National Park Service at the old Tredegar Iron Works will be the gateway for visitors.

See the website: http://www.ontorichmond.com

The grounds around Tredegar as well as neighboring Brown's Island across Haxall Canal are also the site of the annual Richmond Folk Festival and numerous other activities.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/sep/22/historic-tredegar-named-gateway-civil-war-150th-ar-519289/

• 2 months later...

Mark Holmberg, writer and commentator, adds his support to a plan approved by Richmond City council for a monument to Maggie L. Walker.

If funds can be raised (up to a million dollars) the statue would rise on the triangular plot where North Adams Street and Brook Road meet West Broad Street. The site is directly in front of Emerick Flats and about half a block from The Empire Theatre in Richmond's downtown Gallery District.

From Paul Hammond at Carver & Jackson Ward News:

http://www.cjwn.net/news/2010/11/24/mark-holmberg-on-maggie-walker/

• 1 year later...

John Murden, who is the leader of a number of Richmond blogs (Church Hill Peoples News at the top of the list) has researched the history of one of my favorite structures in Richmond. It is the World War I Memorial tower in Byrd Park commonly known as The Carrilon.

It's a long read but quite interesting. And the picture is superb. Apparently the tower as it appears was not the original design.

And though it is not mentioned I am sure that the grassy, recessed area was originally intended to be a reflecting pool.

From West of The Boulevard:

http://wotbn.net/the...orial-carillon/

PS: A contemporary note: President Obama attracted almost 20,000 people to a recent political rally in front of the monument.

Archived