Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

Last new post of the day, promise.

What is new and planned in Ghent? Blair MS is rising up and I guess if I wasn't so lazy I could go snap some shots of that.

Besides the big housing development on the site of the old Mary Jane factory are there any other new housing or retail projects going up in Ghent?

My biggest curiosities are:

1. That little store on the corner of PA and Colonial. Used to be a pharmacy and then a pet store for about 5 minutes. It was for lease for the longest and now it is empty. Is something coming there? Is it a "dead lease" to keep other businesses away from Harris Teeter?

2. And how about the old BB&T building on 21st? They remodeled that and now it sits empty.

3. The lot on Colonial in between some apartments and across from the back to the HT. It was for sale forever and now the sign is gone. A new condo development?

4. Where is that new book store that is moving from Portsmouth going to go? I read something about it but can't seem to remember where that was supposed to go.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that Gold's Gym is planning to open it's fourth Hampton Roads area gym in the Ghent area. I think someone told me it was going to be where a Food Lion used to be--I don't know the area well enough to know if there even was a Food Lion there.

If the Gold's Gym there is anything like the new one in Newport News, then it's gonna be sweet.

The gym is going where the Farm Fresh was on 21st Street.  It's that massive brick building that at one time was a Sear's or something.  The Food Lion in Colley Village is "across the tracks" so I doubt that we will see anything happening there anytime soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering why they would ever build.... across the tracks myself

Across the tracks is more of a industrial section of the city

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As rough as Park Place et environs is I see the forces of gentrification and rehabilitation taking over within the next 10 years there. Ghent is popular and people want more places like it. The area around ODU is acquiring energy and is becoming popular. That small area between may seem desirable to redevelopers in the not too distant future.

As rough as Park Place et environs is I see the forces of gentrification and rehabilitation taking over within the next 10 years there.  Ghent is popular and people want more places like it.  The area around ODU is acquiring energy and is becoming popular.  That small area between may seem desirable to redevelopers in the not too distant future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets hope so, there is alot of potential for development along hampton blvd. between ODU and Sentara. With all of the development along Hampton Blvd already at ODU it would be a great compliment to the area if it continued down the corridor towards Sentara. ^_^

Not trying to promote one business over the other but there is a new bookstore in Ghent on 21st. It's more like Prince Books than a BN or Borders. It's across from the Pizza Hut and is very nice inside.

I also noticed they are tearing down the old Antique Market building (about time!) but I was wondering if that is part of the housing that is going up or is it a seperate project?

ONE LAST ??? Has anyone else noticed that there is an ols warehouse on Colley and 45th (I think) that is being gutted and remodelled? What is the story with that? It would be cool apartments but I doubt that is what the plab is or we would have seen something by now.

ONE LAST ??? Has anyone else noticed that there is an ols warehouse on Colley and 45th (I think) that is being gutted and remodelled?  What is the story with that?  It would be cool apartments but I doubt that is what the plab is or we would have seen something by now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I also wondered what they were doing to that building. I think it is being renovated for some kind of business or industrial use. I don't really see it as becoming a residential complex to tell you the truth.

whats the name of that big development on Monticello(sp?) by that wendys where that mary jane bakers was demolished? they have demolished everything and have it gated up. wheres the info on that development? im thinking about buying in there when its completed.

whats it called? how big is it supposto be? wheres a link?

• 5 weeks later...

Don't know how many of you care but here is something that has been brewing in Ghent for a long time... I find it interesting that in the article someone is complaining about how it will cost an extra $500K to move the historic Guild House (which the church could sell for much more than that!).

The plan is absolutely hideous and ruins the historic view of Stockley Gardens. The problem is that religious buildings have a lot looser restrictions than most other entities."St. Luke's Plan Raises Ire"

Anyway look for a similar battle in the years to come when the Larchmont Baptist and Methodist churches plan a wholesale demolition of all the houses that sit between them (on Surrey and Larchmont Crescents). The Methodist church has quietly been buying out all the houses and wants to turn all 6-8 of them into... you guessed it... A PARKING LOT, YAY!

---One more note, here is another article and a pic of the house they are tearing down. I am so happy that such a structure will be torn down to make way for a huge glass box. Go St. Puke oops I mean Luke... :sick:

St. Luke's gets the approval

• 2 weeks later...

Its going to be 2 places by the same developer. Condos and apartment across 3 square blocks.  Nancy Chandler already has an interest list, but they won't open sales until later this summer.

Condo website is here:

http://www.therowatghent.com/index.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they have both sites already in Norfolk Development i think and i think the other is bristol at ghent. I think they have 80 % of the space cleared and i could have sworn they where driving piles on the site too.

• 5 weeks later...

Well this is a little bit further north than Ghent but I have good news... unless someone else pounced on it before me. The old warehouses being redevloped near ODU (on Colley) ARE going to be apartments! I was thinking that it would make the coolest loft building in the area and now I see that there are "for rent" signs up on the site. Anyone know any more about this?

Well this is a little bit further north than Ghent but I have good news... unless someone else pounced on it before me.  The old warehouses being redevloped near ODU (on Colley) ARE going to be apartments!  I was thinking that it would make the coolest loft building in the area and now I see that there are "for rent" signs up on the site.  Anyone know any more about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They haven't really talked much about that. I can't believe that the hotel at riverview went for 2 million to the guy that owns Levins brass beds of va.

• 4 weeks later...

Well looks like there is something going up on Colonial near Harris Teater.  The little building that was a pharmacy then a pet store has been razed.  Across the street, the foundations have been set for something else, maybe row houses.

Anyone know about these two projects?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Ghent Neighborhood League, the former, now-flattened pet store is slated for another Marathon Development/Buddy Gadams condo project.

The most recent info from the GNL indicated 24 units, 1 and 2 bedrooms, priced from the upper $200Ks to the lower $300Ks, with a completion date of May 2006.

As far as the foundations across the street -- just down Colonial a little, I'm assuming -- I hadn't seen that anything had actually started happening on that vacant lot, but many months ago, I saw in Norfolk's City Planning/Zoning notes a reference to approval for the construction of four townhouses. They must finally be taking shape.

According to the Ghent Neighborhood League, the former, now-flattened pet store is slated for another Marathon Development/Buddy Gadams condo project.

The most recent info from the GNL indicated 24 units, 1 and 2 bedrooms, priced from the upper $200Ks to the lower $300Ks, with a completion date of May 2006.

As far as the foundations across the street -- just down Colonial a little, I'm assuming -- I hadn't seen that anything had actually started happening on that vacant lot, but many months ago, I saw in Norfolk's City Planning/Zoning notes a reference to approval for the construction of four townhouses.  They must finally be taking shape.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good and I'm glad to see more urban housing going there

Archived