Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

According to the Ghent Neighborhood League, the former, now-flattened pet store is slated for another Marathon Development/Buddy Gadams condo project.

The most recent info from the GNL indicated 24 units, 1 and 2 bedrooms, priced from the upper $200Ks to the lower $300Ks, with a completion date of May 2006.

As far as the foundations across the street -- just down Colonial a little, I'm assuming -- I hadn't seen that anything had actually started happening on that vacant lot, but many months ago, I saw in Norfolk's City Planning/Zoning notes a reference to approval for the construction of four townhouses.  They must finally be taking shape.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum Cobalt! :)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What city do you live in if you don't mind me asking?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in Ghent, about a block from the new condos in question, actually.

Funny how I love to see all the development, when it's done well, while a neighbor of mine tonight was fretting about whether this "village," as she called it, could handle the influx of traffic and whether the old infrastructure could support the new residents.

Funny how I love to see all the development, when it's done well, while a neighbor of mine tonight was fretting about whether this "village," as she called it, could handle the influx of traffic and whether the old infrastructure could support the new residents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How does someone living in a city style "village" say how it can handle the influx of traffic . Sounds like a NIMBY

Welcome to the forum Cobalt!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. :)

I found the forum a couple of months ago when I was Googling something or other, and couldn't believe there was a group of people who got excited about local development like I did.

Most people to whom I mention development-type issues are pretty blas

I found the forum a couple of months ago when I was Googling something or other, and couldn't believe there was a group of people who got excited about local development like I did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL I know that feeling. It seems like you're the only one who cares about economic development in a city. I love this place and I know you will too! welcome! :D

Dude I would go around and tell people that they are building this or that and most of the responds are so what! I love coming in here and relaying my feelings of this area with you guys. I think we should advertise ourselves a little more to get more of us in here. I know there is more of us out there too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm I think the bigger worry is if the rent prices can stand the influx of yuppies and chains...

Hmm I think the bigger worry is if the rent prices can stand the influx of yuppies and chains...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's definitely a very real and worthy concern -- something I've voiced several times within the last few months. to people around me.

Part of what I love about Ghent is the diversity of people, including diversity of income levels, all mixed in together. But I'm really concerned about how much longer that can remain so with the rising real estate prices and rents.

The popularity of the neighborhood is certainly a double-edged sword in that regard.

• 2 months later...

If i lived in Norfolk, I'd live in Ghent before Downtown. Ghent is ideal. If Gold's Gym is built, Ghent will almost be complete in my eyes. I like to lift weights. I think Ghent can spread its charm throughout the area, towards ODU and Granby/lafayette Park area. Many homes in that area are just waiting to be restored to their original charm. Its already started, just drive around and see for yourself. In fact, Im buying a duplex on 29th street and will restore it, though it's not in bad condition. Quality landscaping will help and add to the development initiative.

If i lived in Norfolk, I'd live in Ghent before Downtown. Ghent is ideal. If Gold's Gym is built, Ghent will almost be complete in my eyes. I like to lift weights. I think Ghent can spread its charm throughout the area, towards ODU and Granby/lafayette Park area. Many homes in that area are just waiting to be restored to their original charm. Its already started, just drive around and see for yourself. In fact, Im buying a duplex on 29th street and will restore it, though it's not in bad condition. Quality landscaping will help and add to the development initiative.

I like the character of an older home but unfortunately I am not quite good as I wanna be with a hammer lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Ghent is a great place to live. I lived in an apartment there for numerous years. It was nice to just walk over to Colley Ave. and have dinner and then over to Starbucks for a coffee and to people watch. Ghent is somewhat urban living and it will be further connected to downtown with the on going redevelopment of Fort Norfolk / Atlanitic City area.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't call that the corner of PA and Colonial either. The store has a tiny entrance on Colonial and faces DeBree for the most part.

I thought the entrance was small also. Honestly, I am not sure if I remember where it is. It would be easy for anyone to miss this store being the way it was situated on the property.

Archived