Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

I'm saying that for now Ghent retains most of it's character. I would hate to see it invaded to the point that it turns into another Va. Beach Blvd or lynnhaven (aka suburbia on steriods).

Not sure if the city would ever let it get that far. Also by the way things look to be developing out there I don't think we should worry about it. I'm hoping that eventually that other neighborhoods will be like the Ghent development with its own personality. I want to see the entire city turn more urban. More row and townhouse style housing.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if the city would ever let it get that far. Also by the way things look to be developing out there I don't think we should worry about it. I'm hoping that eventually that other neighborhoods will be like the Ghent development with its own personality. I want to see the entire city turn more urban. More row and townhouse style housing.

Well I have always wished things would pick up in Colonial Place/Riverside and that area between Kellam and Colley. Park Place is pretty much a lost cause for the next decade at the least and same goes for Lambert's Point. Two great old neighborhoods being run into the ground by poverty and absentee landlords.

I think that as Ghent gets more and more expensive, Colonial Place could take in some "refugees" from deluge of yuppies. I know quite a few people who have moved there from Ghent over the past couple of years. I just wish the business district would take off there.

I don't have a picture, but could it be that funky late 50's-early 60's Brady-bunchy old doctor's office that was used for Kerry headquarters two years ago? The map in the paper appeared to show it in the NE corner of Hampton and Redgate.

Yeah that is the building... the paper said that it was built sometime in the late 40's? Nice way to do research. If it was built in that timeframe it would have been 20 years ahead of its time lol. You can tell just by looking at it that it is 50's-60's.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on the plan to replicate the Guild House on Stockley Gardens? I had understood that it would be rebuilt on the site of Pelham Place? I was never a big fan of the whole Christ & St. Luke's expansion plan. The rendering of the proposed building didn't look appropriate for Stockley Gardens (or an appropriate neighbor for the church building either).

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on the plan to replicate the Guild House on Stockley Gardens? I had understood that it would be rebuilt on the site of Pelham Place? I was never a big fan of the whole Christ & St. Luke's expansion plan. The rendering of the proposed building didn't look appropriate for Stockley Gardens (or an appropriate neighbor for the church building either).

I believe this may be what you're referring too. It broke ground in January.

The Colonnades in Ghent

Welcome to the Colonnades in Ghent! These twenty-four luxury condominiums comprise Ghent’s newest development, truly, in the heart of Ghent, in the middle of it all. The prestigious address of 450 West Princess Anne Road will be home to only a few residents. The beauty and the security of the columns of The Colonnades in Ghent surround your new home. Just outside your French doors onto your private balcony, you can see all that Ghent has to offer: Stockley Gardens Art Festivals, specialty shops, magnificent museums and historic neighborhood living. Enjoy!

rendering.jpg

site.jpg

site2.jpg

Since the beginning of the 20th century, Ghent has been a neighborhood, which residents of Norfolk are proud to call home. With its proximity to Downtown, Stockley Gardens, the Sentara Hospital Complex, and the 21st Street and Colley Avenue shopping corridor, Ghent offers something for everyone.

Marathon Development Group saw a wonderful opportunity at the corner of West Princess Anne Road and Colonial Avenue to not only provide upscale luxury condominium living with all of the modern conveniences, but to also create architecture befitting of Historic Ghent. Few people can boast private assigned parking in a gated garage beneath their luxury condominium in Ghent. The residents at The Colonnades in Ghent will have such an amenity!

This is a very unique project, it should fit in well with historic ghent.

Actually, no. I was referring to the new church building (administrative, mostly) which will be built on the site of the Guild House once it has been moved. Perhaps the condos above will be replacing the unfortunate Pelham Place?

Actually, no. I was referring to the new church building (administrative, mostly) which will be built on the site of the Guild House once it has been moved. Perhaps the condos above will be replacing the unfortunate Pelham Place?

In today's paper there is a rendering of the proposed expansion.

I grew up at 717 Stockley Gardens and our house was located right next door to the squat 2 story apartment buliding on the corner of Stockley and Raleigh. The owners of buildings like that and Pelham must make easy money because they have both stuck out like sore thumbs since I moved in in 1994. I moved to Oceean View in '03 when my parents moved to Philly. It was stay in Ghent in a four room apartment or move to OV to a 2 story condo for the same price.

Sometimes economics are a bit simple.

• 2 weeks later...

In today's paper there is a rendering of the proposed expansion.

I grew up at 717 Stockley Gardens and our house was located right next door to the squat 2 story apartment buliding on the corner of Stockley and Raleigh. The owners of buildings like that and Pelham must make easy money because they have both stuck out like sore thumbs since I moved in in 1994.

Although I can see your point about that building on Stockley (I do not know how on earth that still stands to be honest, or the 70's apartments across the way), I do see some merit to a building like Pelham Place. It is somewhat historic (it looks 20's or so with a bad 50's face-lift) and it has a very nice courtyard. I could definately see that being redone into something a bit nicer without having to tear it down and make more faux neo-colonial crap that is starting to infest Ghent more and more. The colors are terrible but the design is somewhat interesting. If they stripped away the paint and had a red brick & dark green/black color scheme, it would probably look somewhat industrial.

What are the plans of Pelham Place? Does the church own it? I thought that the church was going to relocate the beatuiful Guild House across the street although I am not sure where that will be. Even though a church is non-profit it is a shame that they don't follow guidelines even when they do not have to do so. Ohef Shalom Temple recently completed extensive renovations and the new back area blends in nicely with Ghent. A huge glass box jutting out of the back of one of Ghent's landmarks is an absolute disgrace. Are they still going to ruin both Stockley Gardens and the church?

My boyfriend and I bought a condo at The Row at Ghent. They said move in should occur around November. I will keep you guys updated with what I know. There is supposed to be a pre walk-thru sometime in April. It was wierd buying something without actually stepping foot inside.

Here is a picture of the design pallette from inside the sales center.

PICT1183.jpg

My boyfriend and I bought a condo at The Row at Ghent. They said move in should occur around November. I will keep you guys updated with what I know. There is supposed to be a pre walk-thru sometime in April. It was wierd buying something without actually stepping foot inside.

Here is a picture of the design pallette from inside the sales center.

PICT1183.jpg

Congratulations on the purchase! You will be moving to Norfolk in an exciting time so much much construction going on. Looks like The Row will be a nice place to live. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a copy of the Ghent Newsletter (I wish they would get this online) and there are some interesting tidbits:

-It says that "preliminary plans are underway to replace the PIZZA HUT..." with something mixed use. Yay!

-Robyn Thomas, an architect in Freemason (on the corner of Botetourt and Bute I beieve) will be moving to 21st Street in Ghent (and NOT to the former service station on the corner of Botetourt and York as was previously reported here) and is redeveloping 913 W. 21st into retail (good-more retail down 21st).

-There should be a new restuarant on the corner of 21st & Colley called the Kebob House (Middle Eastern? Yummy!). It should go in where there was that E-Tel place. I hope the food is good though, I think tha building used to be a garage.

-Gateway Bank has opened in the renovated BB&T (old) building by Rite Aide. I guess that the new bank will make the upstairs conference room available to be used by community groups.

-They have some candidate info for the Mayor race and Ward 2 race. I think that the mayoral elction is a foregone conclusion though.

Archived