Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading the real estate section in the pilot this morning and I saw a small listing for 15 new condo's in ghent. i think it was called the ellington. It said one block from the medical center. Is that the one on Cooley and westover or Hampton and westover?

*Colley*

I forgot if the Ellington was the development that was on Redgate where a Brady Bunch looking building used to be. The past few times that I have driven by there, it's just an empty lot and no more sign. Anyone know if it's been canceled?

I think it has been cancelled. The market has really cooled and I'm not sure it would sell if they went ahead and pushed forward with it. I haven't seen advertisements for it in the last few months, so I'd bet it has been pulled off the table. The other condo development right down the road, across from the BP on Colley, is just about finished. They have done a real nice job with that one. I cannot remember the name right now, but it looks like it fits well with its surroundings.

I think it has been cancelled. The market has really cooled and I'm not sure it would sell if they went ahead and pushed forward with it. I haven't seen advertisements for it in the last few months, so I'd bet it has been pulled off the table. The other condo development right down the road, across from the BP on Colley, is just about finished. They have done a real nice job with that one. I cannot remember the name right now, but it looks like it fits well with its surroundings.

Doh. There are supposed to be something like 5000 condos in the pipeline for Norfolk. Granby Towers, HH and a few other large ones don't seem to really fill the bulk of that type of number. All I can say is, I hope they all get builts. More inventory = more competition in the future.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...7&ran=99384

This really annoys me. This is prime real estate and they want to turn it into a parking lot. I'm most frustrated b/c there is a school right across the street that has a huge parking lot that is very under utilized. It seems to me that some business owners have made a stink about this and are overreacting.

I'd like to see this space utilized as a mixed use development. A parking lot just seems like a huge waste to me; not to mention that it will likely be pretty unattractive.

Norfolk needs to learn to lay off the condemnation button. I think its a bit ridiculous for them to try to take someones land for a parking lot. If it were blighted or it were blocking substantial development that was integral to the region I could see this but I think this one is going to be a hard sell in court (and more than a bit hypocritical considering the stink that was raised over the GSA trying to condemn a similar plot of land). I've never had any trouble finding parking in Ghent though sometimes i've had to walk a little, I think the situation is overblown, a little exercise doesn't hurt. Laziness should not be part of the criteria to deciding whether someones land should be taken.

Normally I would be completely against exercising eminent domain for a little extra parking, but I'm not sure that this is such a simple issue. More parking would help the Naro theater, which is a local resource, subsidized by the City. Some of the stores in the immediate vicinity are also little treasures. I would say that there may be is a definite public purpose served in this taking (should it occur). Make lazy people walk? Sure, as long as they are not elderly and healthy. I think this is a tough little call.

Normally I would be completely against exercising eminent domain for a little extra parking, but I'm not sure that this is such a simple issue. More parking would help the Naro theater, which is a local resource, subsidized by the City. Some of the stores in the immediate vicinity are also little treasures. I would say that there may be is a definite public purpose served in this taking (should it occur). Make lazy people walk? Sure, as long as they are not elderly and healthy. I think this is a tough little call.

I live in downtown now, but I used to live in Ghent on Gates ave. Over the past few years it seems Norfolk has had to decide between keeping the area growing and holding on to the characteristics that make it such a great neighborhood. I myself have never had a problem finding a parking spot, but middle class families in their gas guzzingling SUV's want easy access in and out...all the other cities in this area are built that way and it's ashame that Norfolk is losing how Ghent used to be to this sad American lifestyle. It started with Walgreens and Eckerd and RiteAid all of which bring volumes of people into the area (good) but in their CARS (bad). All have their parking lots facing the street - A HUGE MISTAKE IN URBAN PLANNING BUT PERFECT FOR SUBURBAN STYLE PLANNING. Then the 21st shopping center - AGAIN PARKING LOT IN FRONT FACING THE STREET, what a mess that is. Have you ever tried going there in the evening on any -- night it's hell. Because of poor planning and very bad decisions cars now RULE the Ghent Area. They've recently put up cross walk signs with flashing lights on Colley so you don't get run over...maybe the only good decision. Go ahead and build another parking lot....maybe Ghent can get a CVS pharmacy next....

As long as we're lapsing into sentimentalist rants about Ghent and how lovely it used to be defore it became trendy...I remember people getting their faces kicked in near Maury high school and thugs beating gay sailors in Stockley Gardens..things like that. And speaking of poor planning, half of the Hague is a freaking flood zone. Nevertheless, I love the place and have lived there also.

We live in a car dominated but mobile society. True, we use them inefficiently (SUVs) and auto ownership has gone through the roof. But that is not a de facto bad thing, but a sign of affluence. The problem is that there are just too many cars trying to use limited transportation resources. And people clearly don't want to give up the freedom and the privacy of their cars, not to mention the time savings that cars offer.

No one is talking about adding another chain drug store in the parking lot location. I'm not even sure that adding this little lot is a good idea. I just would like people to consider different points of view on topics such as this one. Don't get caught up in generalities about new urbanism or transit alternatives or mixed use design dogma. Think logically and think for yourselves.

Padman, did I read you correctly above when you said the Naro is subsidized by the city? Is it a movie theatre or a performing arts center?

I'd like to see pictures of it if any of you guys have some.

It's a movie theatre, nice but not grandiose. The City subsidized the Naro's renovation a few years ago. I don't remember how much money was involved, but it's more comfortable now. The only downside is that now City officials might object to certain political or social topics on screen. I don't know if that has happened recently, but there's always the potential.

Padman, did I read you correctly above when you said the Naro is subsidized by the city? Is it a movie theatre or a performing arts center?

I'd like to see pictures of it if any of you guys have some.

Its a movie theater for independant films. I have one in the Norfolk Pics somewhere. I will have to dig it up.

As long as we're lapsing into sentimentalist rants about Ghent and how lovely it used to be defore it became trendy...I remember people getting their faces kicked in near Maury high school and thugs beating gay sailors in Stockley Gardens..things like that. And speaking of poor planning, half of the Hague is a freaking flood zone. Nevertheless, I love the place and have lived there also.

We live in a car dominated but mobile society. True, we use them inefficiently (SUVs) and auto ownership has gone through the roof. But that is not a de facto bad thing, but a sign of affluence. The problem is that there are just too many cars trying to use limited transportation resources. And people clearly don't want to give up the freedom and the privacy of their cars, not to mention the time savings that cars offer.

No one is talking about adding another chain drug store in the parking lot location. I'm not even sure that adding this little lot is a good idea. I just would like people to consider different points of view on topics such as this one. Don't get caught up in generalities about new urbanism or transit alternatives or mixed use design dogma. Think logically and think for yourselves.

Did you understand my response? I'm not sure you did. Another parking lot = more cars = more big box businesses that must have high volume to survive; therefore shutting out mom and pops and all things interesting...it's very simple. Have you ever been to Town Center...not very interesting...hmm...but a sign of affluence?

It's the same principal as sprawl...we need more roads built for more cars, more cars more roads and on and on.

The Naro does not need a new parking lot to survive... and again I've never had a problem parking in Ghent..have you? By the way these are my own thoughts....are they logical? I'm sure you'll decide for me.

Does anyone know if this new parking area will be "pay to park"?

That's what it seems like to me. I can't imagine the city paying that amount of money for such a small plot and no charging some amount of money. I'm really not aware of too many places you can park for free in Norfolk anyway.

That's what it seems like to me. I can't imagine the city paying that amount of money for such a small plot and no charging some amount of money. I'm really not aware of too many places you can park for free in Norfolk anyway.

That brings up an interesting point, because parking behind Naro and No Frills is free now. Maybe 3 to 5 hour meters would be a good idea (except for employees and residents).

I really hate that they are planning a surface parking lot for a urban neighborhood. People come to Ghent for the urban feel of it. This is pushing it to a suburban environment. This idea is defeating all the things the city has been trying to accomplish for the past decade. I'm really disappointed in the city for this. I love going out there and walking everywhere I want to go!

Don't worry about it Russ. One tiny step backwards and many big steps forward. It will only get more urban over time. Ghent will never be suburban again (it was Norfolk's first suburb).

I guess what bothers me is that this region has soo much potential to be great and yet they take mediocre developments. We don't grow like we should. We don't attract businesses here that pay good wages. Maybe its the attitude to stay away from places that have alot of military that is holding us back. It just seems that Norfolk can't stay away from suburban development of some kind.

Archived