Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too sure about that....the new Harris Teeter is sooooo much better!!!

Better, that's possible. But the Marketplace does have a lot of business. The Marketplace is almost always full of people. There's enough shoppers in the area for the three grocery stores in Ghent to thrive. After all, that is the closest grocery shopping area for people from Larchmont to Riverview to West Ghent to downtown Norfolk.

• 3 months later...

Nothing new really going up but a few closures to report in Ghent.

• Ghent Auto Care/BP station is all taped up and closed. Gas was overpriced but it did work in a pinch and they had a free air pump for tires.
  • Rita's on 21st is closed. The signage is completely gone.
  • The Boot closed a month or so ago. The owners said they wanted to try new things or something.

There still seems to be a dearth of businesses on 21st. Really wish 201 Twenty One would fill up with more shops. Chipotle seems to be off to a busy start though so that is good news, at least for the tax revenue it will generate. Probably not so good for Machismo or Moe's.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the Pilot about that. The owner is planning to open a different restaurant in that space.

There was also an interesting article in the Pilot today about someone opening Virginia's first Urban Winery. Sounds like most of the grapes will come from Horton's in Orange County VA but production will take place in Ghent. Could be interesting... http://hamptonroads.com/2012/03/virginias-first-urban-winery-open-norfolk-may

Anyone hear any new news on Norfolk's second brewery? Full Boar Brewing was supposed to be opening in the West Ghent section sometime this year I believe.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The sale of the land to the developer has been approved for the Ghent Station project (If that's what they'll even call it).  The city also had a drawing of how it would look.

http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2012/12/sale-of-land-for-ghent-station.html

Wow, I was kind if hoping there wouldn't be a parking lot, especially that much parking lot.  Removing urban blights with a suburban shopping center I guess.  Why not move the grocery store/retail shop part of the project along the sidewalk and move all the parking to the back along the railroad.  It would make it look infinitely more urban from the street.  I hope the city requires aesthetic changes.

Wow, I was kind if hoping there wouldn't be a parking lot, especially that much parking lot. Removing urban blights with a suburban shopping center I guess. Why not move the grocery store/retail shop part of the project along the sidewalk and move all the parking to the back along the railroad. It would make it look infinitely more urban from the street. I hope the city requires aesthetic changes.

During the meeting, they discussed your exact point, because most on City Council wanted that. But apparently, Fresh Market has some requirement for a parking lot to be seen from the street to draw in customers? And if they didn't agree, they'd lose the project. So basically they all reluctantly approved because they'd rather have a subpar design over losing the project. Hate to say it, but I agree. Ghent needs some kind of "gourmet grocier."

A simple street sign saying "parking in back" would have sufficed. Don't quite see farm fresh or the city's rationale for this. This is hardly the first urban market that has ever been constructed. Perhaps they could see how it's done in the hundreds of other major cities with markets to get a clue. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Yuck on the Fresh Market design but if they just let HT build that big lot, I guess it's fair. I'd prefer it being next to the street but I guess Norfolk kind of picks and chooses what it will enforce. I notice Cook Out looks like a standard drive-through but Chick-fil-a had to move their store around? Weird. Maybe it has something to do with the city basically giving cfa the land for free. 

Bangkok Garden is currently closed and is moving to a new space right by Sleepy's. A local chain called Fire Ninja is opening in their old spot. I've had their food and it is really so-so. Some Palace Shoppes stores are getting new facades which is an improvement from the flesh stucco/gold lettering design that has been in effect for a few decades it seems. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived