Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

The Princess anne road in Norfolk and Vabeach aren't even connected

Actually, yes they are the same road. Over time the development of military highway changed things. But Princess ann still follows along Military Highway to kempsville road, down kempsville and chugging along to practically the North Carolina border.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey yall, first time poster, long time anonymous observer. What is the latest with Gold's Gym development at the old Farmfresh building off 21st street? Haven't heard any new updates since Bruce Wayne's article back in October of 04.

Welcome to the group Norfanatic, great nick btw. I am not sure of the current status of Gold's myself but perhaps someone here might have more info.

Hey yall, first time poster, long time anonymous observer. What is the latest with Gold's Gym development at the old Farmfresh building off 21st street? Haven't heard any new updates since Bruce Wayne's article back in October of 04.

First, Welcome, and second i have been looking for answers on this for a while now. I've asked people all around that area if they have heard anything but maybe Okinawa can talk to his bud and find out! :thumbsup:

First of all, welcome to the forum. There is a more recent article residing somewhere on this forum that I will post a link to when I find it. It is not about golds gym but it is about a nearby property and If i remember correctly it mentioned some of the issues with Golds Gym as well.

First of all, welcome to the forum. There is a more recent article residing somewhere on this forum that I will post a link to when I find it. It is not about golds gym but it is about a nearby property and If i remember correctly it mentioned some of the issues with Golds Gym as well.

Ok, I lied. Can't seem to find it, maybe I was thinking of something else. :huh:

Just got home and see that there is a huge fire in Ghent. So far, only WAVY has it online.

Good news is that it was a building being refurbbed so no one is losing their house. Bad thing is that the smoke and fire damage could spread.

There were a rash of fires in Park Place a few years back. Even when they are in bad shape, I always hate to see an old building go down like that :-(

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=4246181

I saw that they are tearing down the building that went up in flames the other night. It was called "Erin" and was next to somthing called "Killarney" so I guess that they had some Irish theme going on there.

I am curious to know what is going on/up on the corner of Westover and Colley. I know that there are plans for that medical office on the corner of Hampton and Redgate but did not know anything about the Westover and Redgate site. It is being cleared of something (I can't even remember what was there) so I am hoping something else is going up soon. Anyone know?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to looking at the site in Ghent where they are building the new condos. It's got a website at http://www.colonnadesinghent.com/ that has this pic. It looks nice and will be an interesting addition I think... Funny how they left out the John Knox Tower in the rendering though. You can see the road sign for Princess Anne though.

post-2510-1136608360_thumb.jpg

As for the other condo block going up on the corner of Hampton and Redgate, they have a sign up as well but I did not see if it has a webpage.

Well I finally got around to looking at the site in Ghent where they are building the new condos. It's got a website at http://www.colonnadesinghent.com/ that has this pic. It looks nice and will be an interesting addition I think... Funny how they left out the John Knox Tower in the rendering though. You can see the road sign for Princess Anne though.

post-2510-1136608360_thumb.jpg

As for the other condo block going up on the corner of Hampton and Redgate, they have a sign up as well but I did not see if it has a webpage.

another great project by Buddy! :yahoo:

if I didn't move west I think I would of ended up moving to Ghent. It was always one of my favorite neighborhoods in Norfolk. Second would be West Freemason.

I hope to move to Ghent one day myself. I just love the atmosphere and feel of the place. This looks to be like a great project as well. Buddy sure has been busy lately. :)

I read the latest Ghent Neighborhood League (GNL) newsletter this evening and it had some interesting tidbits, including:

1. Gold's Gym at the old Farm Fresh is apparently a dead plan. According to the article, Gold's will be moving where Plaza Azteca is now (old Spaghetti Warehouse). Plaza Azteca will then move to where the Bamboo Hut is on 22nd St and Colonial. The old Farm Fresh (which itself is an old Sears) may now be torn down to make more... surprise... housing.

2. The condo complex going in on the corner of Hampton Blvd and Redgate is to be called "The Ellington" and will feature 15 units in a 4-level building (bottom floor will be parking).

3. Charlie's Cafe and the dumpy antique shop next door have been purchased (how fast will it take to tear them down and put up condos?).

4. Harris Teeter wants to "significantly expand" all the way to Debree Avenue.

Anyway there is more but those are the highlights. I am just wondering how many more people are they going to fit into Ghent without getting some more going on the retail end?

Ghent is a bit bullish (and actually I am glad) about what retail opens there. They want to try to keep the character of that area which is great. It is refreshing to have small locally owned shops instead of lots of big box construction. Remember when Walgreens and Eckerds came the locals put up quite a fight although both chains eventually ended up building there anyway.

Ghent is a bit bullish (and actually I am glad) about what retail opens there. They want to try to keep the character of that area which is great. It is refreshing to have small locally owned shops instead of lots of big box construction. Remember when Walgreens and Eckerds came the locals put up quite a fight although both chains eventually ended up building there anyway.

I don't think he meant big box retail. He just wants more out there with more people moving in that keeps with the Ghent tradition. :good:

I don't think he meant big box retail. He just wants more out there with more people moving in that keeps with the Ghent tradition. :good:

Yes indeed. And the big boxes will continue elsewhere but Ghent will continue to have the charm it has. Ghent is definitely a gem in Norfolk's crown.

Yes indeed. And the big boxes will continue elsewhere but Ghent will continue to have the charm it has. Ghent is definitely a gem in Norfolk's crown.

Yes, ghent must be protected from the march of the big boxes. If I see a Walmart go there i'm gonna freak. More residential development is not a bad thing because eventually all those residents are going to demand new retail anyway.

Yes, ghent must be protected from the march of the big boxes. If I see a Walmart go there i'm gonna freak. More residential development is not a bad thing because eventually all those residents are going to demand new retail anyway.

Ghent and the big box? Where did that one come from? Ghent is totally full of chains as it is. It woul dnot hurt to have some that are a little unique to this area if they are gonna have them anyway...

But yeah, compared to Carytown or the Fan, we have a ways to go. And no, residential development does not always spur retail growth. Not as long as people have cars and are used to using them for everything already.

Ghent and the big box? Where did that one come from?

I'm saying that for now Ghent retains most of it's character. I would hate to see it invaded to the point that it turns into another Va. Beach Blvd or lynnhaven (aka suburbia on steriods).

Archived