Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

I was reading the real estate section in the pilot this morning and I saw a small listing for 15 new condo's in ghent. i think it was called the ellington. It said one block from the medical center. Is that the one on Cooley and westover or Hampton and westover?

*Colley*

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading the real estate section in the pilot this morning and I saw a small listing for 15 new condo's in ghent. i think it was called the ellington. It said one block from the medical center. Is that the one on Cooley and westover or Hampton and westover?

*Colley*

I got a pic of those somewhere here. At lest the rendering pics at the site

• 1 month later...

In addition to the destruction of the Guild House, the new building is a rather routine glass box- straight out of the orthodox Modernist handbook from the 1950's. In a word, it's a very ugly addition to the streetscape of Stockley Gardens. Christ and St. Luke's can and should do better.

The rendition doesn't look too promising, but at least it's relatively unobtrusive. Architects in Europe have been marrying simple, glass, modern additions with traditional structures for some time. Apparently many architects feel that that is a better technique than trying to match-up old and ornate buildings with cheaper, stage-set, post modern structures. I'm on the fence on this one also, and that old guild hall doesn't do very much for me either. That church has grown a lot in membership, for a number of reasons, and it does need more space.

This is a really difficult problem. How much is blind sentimentalism a factor here? Norfolk has lost a lot of it's architectural heritage, and it wasn't a big city before the 20th century anyway. Is this where the line should be drawn? Is the issue symbolic of a larger problem involving a lack of full community participation, as this morning's paper intimated? Or do we build this glass house then throw stones later?

There are any number of things they could build which would be respectful of the church, the street, and the existing neighborhood without resorting to cliches- of the Modernist or Post-Modernist variety. I think the present design needs to be reevaluated.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else see the article in the paper a month or so ago about the extension of the walking/bike path in Ghent along the Elizabeth River?

They've done a nice job extending the path past Plum Point park, through that industrial area in West Ghent, and then down to Mallory Country Club. My understanding was that it was going to be further extended from there along the Elizabeth River. However, I'm not sure what that is going to look like. It seems like the current path ends at Norfolk Southern. I don't imagine they are going to give the city land to further develop the path? I just wanted to check in to see if anyone had any additional information on this. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if someone wrote this up in another area, but there is something going on in Ghent near the Palace Shops called the Palace Station. Looks like a strip mall to me... I see more parking than anything lese in that rendering. Snore.

Here is the link: http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...4&ran=36055

Now as for the space behind the BB&T (22nd & Colonial), does anyone know what is going there?

Don't know if someone wrote this up in another area, but there is something going on in Ghent near the Palace Shops called the Palace Station. Looks like a strip mall to me... I see more parking than anything lese in that rendering. Snore.

Here is the link: http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...4&ran=36055

Now as for the space behind the BB&T (22nd & Colonial), does anyone know what is going there?

Snore is right though reading into the article it looks like they will be reusing existing warehouses. That being the case it is definately an upgrade for the property and it also explains the suburban nature of the layout. I do wish it could be a bit denser though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that the BBT Ghent Market Study was due out soon. Anyone know about this or see the powerpoint? Apparently it was presented to the Ghent Neighborhood League. I was hoping to be able to see what the city consultants were projecting for the future of this area.

I can't find any report or even a mention that the presentation was made. The final report was due in early July but I don't see any evidence that it was completed. The initial report might not have been posted anywhere either.

Being a paper plane's throw from a Harris Teeter has to be good for that project.

One thing I find very interesting about this project: there are lots of examples where traditional structures or facades are preserved and modern towers are then built behind or within them (Hearst in NY, Citcorp in San Francisco, etc.) but here we have a traditional new structure wrapping a modern tower.

Anyone else see that they are converting the apartment building on Princess Anne and Colley (right across from Magnolia) into condos? They look pretty sleek and modern when compared with how it currently looks. They start at $350,000, which, believe it or not, isn't too expensive for the area.

Yes, I've been waiting for this building to be redone for a while. Cooke and Neff really let this building go. It will be great for the neighborhood when this project is complete since it is so visible on colley.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived