Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

Website for the aptly named ''RVA Bike Share'', opening planned for Aug 29

https://www.rvabikes.com/

One cool section that will be fun to watch after it opens is the stats page that measures stats like Total distance ( mi ), Total trips, Active members, All-time Occasional members ,  Favorite return stations, and Favorite check-out stations 

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1

Incoming rant(sorry about this, just had to get it off my mind)

Recently I've been researching bright line, the new high speed rail line from Miami to Orlando, that will operate at speeds of up to 125 mph(it could be more but state regulations prohibit higher speeds). It got me thinking that the eventual Miami to Orlando corridor, which is about 200 miles, is similar in length to Virginias 3 urban metro areas, which got me thinking, with a population density similar to that of Austria and Spain(both of which have high speed bullet trains) why can't Virginia get something going either publicly, privately or a partnership of public and private. The 2 routes running from HR to RVA to DC are constantly growing in passenger numbers and are 2 of the most heavily traveled routes outside of the higher speed system from DC to Boston. So my question is how haven't private companies(both foreign and domestic) not seen the potential of this possible route. It would link 3 of the most populous regions in the midatlantic and could help connect the emerging NC crescent corridor to the northeast corridor making a east coast high speed rail line from Miami to Boston feasible. Plus all 3 of the metros are growing by at least 2.5% each census. Plus with all 3 being only around 200 miles apart, with a combined population of around 7 million, a rail line that would operate at around 150 mph with sleek modern trains that run frequently without delays (similar to what bright line is doing) would seem like a guaranteed profit for any investors in high speed rail. It baffles me how many foreign companies who are investing in Brightline and the TCR(Texas central railway) have failed to realize the potential of Virginias urban crescent as a high speed rail corridor. Sorry for the rant but it angers me how neither the state or federal government are willing to prioritize this as a gateway project that would be guaranteed to succeed.

Edited by blopp1234

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Incoming rant(sorry about this, just had to get it off my mind)

Recently I've been researching bright line, the new high speed rail line from Miami to Orlando, that will operate at speeds of up to 125 mph(it could be more but state regulations prohibit higher speeds). It got me thinking that the eventual Miami to Orlando corridor, which is about 200 miles, is similar in length to Virginias 3 urban metro areas, which got me thinking, with a population density similar to that of Austria and Spain(both of which have high speed bullet trains) why can't Virginia get something going either publicly, privately or a partnership of public and private. The 2 routes running from HR to RVA to DC are constantly growing in passenger numbers and are 2 of the most heavily traveled routes outside of the higher speed system from DC to Boston. So my question is how haven't private companies(both foreign and domestic) not seen the potential of this possible route. It would link 3 of the most populous regions in the midatlantic and could help connect the emerging NC crescent corridor to the northeast corridor making a east coast high speed rail line from Miami to Boston feasible. Plus all 3 of the metros are growing by at least 2.5% each census. Plus with all 3 being only around 200 miles apart, with a combined population of around 7 million, a rail line that would operate at around 150 mph with sleek modern trains that run frequently without delays (similar to what bright line is doing) would seem like a guaranteed profit for any investors in high speed rail. It baffles me how many foreign companies who are investing in Brightline and the TCR (Texas central railway) have failed to realize the potential of Virginias urban crescent as a high speed rail corridor. Sorry for the rant but it angers me how neither the state or federal government are willing to prioritize this as a gateway project that would be guaranteed to succeed.

Forget about monopolistic "private companies" that are only interested in stealing our tax dollars and holding us hostage. Why shouldn't the government just build this kind of state of the art public transportation network like they do in China, Japan, Europe, and so many other places? Why do we as Americans have to wait year after year for these kinds of innovations while the rest of the world builds them?

Have you ever noticed that when it comes to never-ending wars in the Middle East, the military-industrial complex, the private insurance industry, and big oil there's always more than enough money, but when it comes time to actually do something that benefits society at large (rather than the 1%) funding is always scarce? It's interesting how it always seems to work out that way.

When it comes to a public investment like a rail system we have to live by "profit motives" and "the market" but when it comes to bailing out to-big-to-fail (jail) banks the profit system goes by the wayside.

Edited by changingskyline
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

You both need to watch this.  It will probably answer your questions:

The last sentences of this video hit the nail on the head. Amtrak does not receive any investment. This is exactly the same scam they've engineered to steal our tax dollars for "for-profit" charter schools: starve public schools of investment and then claim they don't work and need to be privatized. Something like 6 trillion dollars of our money has been wasted on never-ending wars in the Middle East. For that money we could probably have real high speed rail (China has a similar land mass) and a lot of other things. Too bad this country has been hijacked by traitors. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just discovered that the Bolt Bus now runs routes out of Richmond.  Ever heard of the Bolt Bus?  I didn't until someone told me about it up here in the DC area.  It's run by Greyhound (which is not necessarily a good thing), but if you want to get to New York and back for really cheap - the Bolt Bus is awesome.  I have taken it a few times out of DC up to NY and back and it's been great!  Free electrical outlets onboard, free WiFi (but it's kind of slow), and best of all the prices are great!  You can travel from Richmond to NY for about $20-$30 each way (sometimes less)!  Really?  Gas would cost you at least that much if you were driving yourself.  You do have to stop in DC first, but that's not too bad.  Anyway, great deal.  Looks like they pick up and drop off at 351 W. Cary St. near downtown.  Here's a link to their website:

https://www.boltbus.com/

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Round trip RVA-NYC tolls are over $80, depending on what bridge or tunnel you take so it's an even better deal.

Very true!  Granted, this bus service is very similar to the Megabus, but just the fact that there is another bus company that leaves from Richmond shows that there is a greater demand for this type of service.  That's nothing but good news for Richmond and those consumers who use it!

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Hike said:

saw this - is the 3/2/3 option now a slower route as they have to go down to 2 tracks thru Ashland?

Yeah, because that would suck!  Can anyone say...bottleneck?  Defeats the purpose of this being "high speed" which was a stretch to begin with.

I agree that Ashland and Hanover residents have been pretty irksome regarding this.  One thing that has been missing from the discussion is that the purpose of eminent domain is to prevent a person from gaining a monopoly over land, especially at the expense of the general population.  The situation in Ashland seems like a prime example of how a group of individuals are using private ownership to prevent a (necessary) public good. 

The fact that there won't be a western bypass tells me that the third track through Ashland will happen eventually.

Personally, I like trench option, where the tracks would be covered in a trench by possibly an extension of the station, and a park. It would be cheaper than building tunnels and there wouldn't be anywhere close to the amount of backlash from the town. It would be similar to decking a sunken expressway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, while I still think the Main Street Station project is a bit of a missed opportunity, the interior of the train shed space is stunning. The roof structure is captivating. Once Franklin Street connection is finished and the Farmer’s market redone, the 1st level of Main Street Station should have commercial applications like restaurant space and perhaps a coworking space. 

• Like 2

I see they have finally started to expand the parking lot at staples mill station there is an article on the times dispatch website about it. Really wish we could get a new station on the boulevard and scrap staples mill station. Just doesn’t seem right for that one of be the busiest in all of Richmond and apparently according to the story the busiest station in the south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/22/2017 at 3:09 PM, eandslee said:

There is a rumor out there that GRTC will offer trips to the airport every 30 minutes starting in 2018.  I’m trying to confirm.  If true, this could be huge!

Found it!  Came from an email newsletter someone got:

Coming soon – regular weekday service to/from Richmond International Airport (RIC)! Henrico County and Richmond International Airport recently approved a Route 7A/B Nine Mile Henrico adjustment that will provide local bus stop service for RIC employees and travelers Weekdays, 6 AM – 7 PM, every 30 minutes. We look forward to providing more details about this exciting service improvement soon!

This route is shown on the proposed new bus route map as well.

• Like 2

I did pose a question to RVA Rapid Transit on Facebook about the operating hours of this bus service to and from the airport of 6:00AM - 7:00PM, and asked why only from 6AM-7PM...many flights leave earlier than that and many flight return later than that?  This was their response:

"Absolutely! This is a start, and once it gets going the need for longer hours will become more readily apparent. Full buses will also help. Extending the hours of the 7 for the whole route will help get this done, so if you know anyone in Henrico, tell their supervisors!

Also of note is many employees will use this, but many shifts also start early and end late. So many reasons for longer hours."

I just hope this service is highly advertised so that everyone knows it exists...otherwise, people will not use it (I also wonder what the fare will be?).  Apparently, the airport is excited about it.  I just can't believe there hasn't been public transit service to and from the airport EVER!  Crazy.

• Like 2

During my trip to Orlando this past weekend, I got to see some of the cool things they do down there in the way of public transportation.  They have a cool central transportation hub for the Lynx buses that is really attractive.  I was wondering if something like that would be feasible as part of the new arena development?  Also, as one who lives in Northern VA, I use the bus transfer station all the time at the Pentagon.  I think these are great examples of how a good bus transfer station should look like and function.  My only concern is space...is there enough space within the developable area in the plan to do something like this?

Lynx Transfer Station in Orlando, FL

Lynx.jpg

The back side of the Pentagon Bus Transfer Station (hard to find a good photo because you aren't supposed to take photos that close to the Pentagon):

PNT.jpg

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, eandslee said:

My only concern is space...is there enough space within the developable area in the plan to do something like this?

Perhaps E. Clay St. could be reconnected as a bus transfer center with use of the Blues Armory lobby and old Six Street Market lot.  One hurdle appears to be the upper level exit from the 5th Street garage, though that may be possible to remove/rework.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I really don’t like the MCV stops.  They seem excessive with the City Hall stops just two blocks away.   A horrible injustice has been done to the hospital building on the south side of Broad  Street.  It really obscured that beautiful facade. The station in front of the new VCU Pooice building is awkward too.  Makes the sidewalk very claustrophobic and if it weren’t for the police station,  I feel like it would be a hot spot for muggings. 

Aside from those areas, I love it.  The lanes do weave a bit but with the busses removed from travel lanes and all of the dedicated turn lanes ;with leading arrows) traffic should flow more smoothly than ever.  A few of my favorite turns have been eliminated but I realize that it isn’t all about me :) 

I think It’s the monumental church (not the egyptian) that is blocked by the station.  That one doesn't bother me as much because the building sits above the stop and isn’t as obscured.  I’d rather it not be there at all.  It’s too close to the 95 ramp and as a person with a manual transmission, I’d appreciate fewer obstacles trying to climb that hill in my pickup. 

Good to know about the murder.  I live on Broad pretty close to there.  I’ll be more diligent when out at night.