Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

39 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I thought of that too but it would really add to the loading/ unloading time.  It’s probably a safety violation too?  

I really would like to see them on the street but it sounds like a very expensive upgrade. 

They should have had those from the start anyway. I think most people thought the buses would be the accordion style when the Pulse started and were disappointed when they saw it was the regular buses.  I know I was.  It’s not an expensive upgrade if they are needed.  At this point they are a necessary upgrade. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, eandslee said:

They should have had those from the start anyway. I think most people thought the buses would be the accordion style when the Pulse started and were disappointed when they saw it was the regular buses.  I know I was.  It’s not an expensive upgrade if they are needed.  At this point they are a necessary upgrade. 

That was the original plan and then they downgraded (after already downgrading from LRT).  The whole system was supposed to be built in anticipation of upgrading to LRT so should't the stations already be able to handle the added length?

Edited by Icetera

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

That was the original plan and then they downgraded (after already downgrading from LRT).  The whole system was supposed to be built in anticipation of upgrading to LRT so should't the stations already be able to handle the added length?

You’d think, but not if they weren’t really planning on an eventual light rail line.  I hope that’s not the case. 

I agree.  It never occurred to me how small the platforms were until a few days ago (I was just so excited to have BRT up and running that it was hard to find any flaws lol).   I love the Pulse.  I take it 4-6 times a week.  

Now all I can see is the hurdles to expanded service.  Extending the platforms would require a lot of road redesign  too.  Extending it enough for light rail seems especially daunting.   There’s also the logistics of expanding platforms while having the busses in service.  Sorry to say but I think the accordion bus shouldn’t be explored.  Add more busses and extend the route(s) rather than rebuild the whole network :( 

32 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I agree.  It never occurred to me how small the platforms were until a few days ago (I was just so excited to have BRT up and running that it was hard to find any flaws lol).   I love the Pulse.  I take it 4-6 times a week.  

Now all I can see is the hurdles to expanded service.  Extending the platforms would require a lot of road redesign  too.  Extending it enough for light rail seems especially daunting.   There’s also the logistics of expanding platforms while having the busses in service.  Sorry to say but I think the accordion bus shouldn’t be explored.  Add more busses and extend the route(s) rather than rebuild the whole network :( 

Either way they will need to be rebuilt for LRT so may be easier to do it now rather than later.  As long as they work on one station at a time it should not be that bad and the work may consist of just removing some of the barrier at each end and adding the floor grip and skid-plate.

I am also loving the Pulse.  Between it and working from home the rest of the week, my cars typically move only twice a week.  I do now frequent businesses along the route rather than those not, so all that screaming about hurting business is bunk.

Also of note, there is a bill to create a Central Virginia Transportation Authority.  This would include raising the sales tax to 6%, like NOVA and HR, plus a fuels tax increase but may help our regional transportation needs.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB1541

EDIT:

Unfortunately, it does not look like the Tri-Cities area is included in the Central Virginia Transportation Authority, even though they are part of Greater Richmond.  That makes no sense to me.

Authority shall be weighted, based upon population of the locality, as follows: (i) the chief elected officers, or their designees, from the Counties of Chesterfield and Henrico and the City of Richmond shall each receive four votes; (ii) the chief elected officer, or his designee, from the County of Hanover shall receive three votes; (iii) the chief elected officers, or their designees, from the Counties of Goochland, New Kent, and Powhatan shall each receive two votes; and (iv) the chief elected officers, or their designees, from the Town of Ashland and the County of Charles City shall each receive one vote.

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 12:12 PM, Icetera said:

Also of note, there is a bill to create a Central Virginia Transportation Authority.  This would include raising the sales tax to 6%, like NOVA and HR, plus a fuels tax increase but may help our regional transportation needs.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB1541

Central Virginia Transportation Authority passed the House Friday.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, georgeglass said:

I live in this area and I think this plan sucks. Why can't they do a proper round-a-bout? There is plenty of room.  

I grew up on Forest Hill Avenue about 2 miles west of that intersection. There used to be a traffic light at the point where Semmes and Forest Hill meet. It sucked back then. LOL 

Looking at the photo, I seem to recall there used to be a building in the wedge-shaped lot right at the point. Wonder how long that's been gone?

Some observations while I was out running errands today:

Footings are in place for a lot of new light poles on I-64, in particular from Broad to the 95/64 interchange.

Speed bumps (god I hate them) are being put in on Grove heading west from the VMFA.

Bulb-outs and additional streetscape are being installed along Brookland Park Blvd.

The 130 new street trees in Scotts Addition aren't very large but definitely are noticeable.

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Some observations while I was out running errands today:

Footings are in place for a lot of new light poles on I-64, in particular from Broad to the 95/64 interchange.

Speed bumps (god I hate them) are being put in on Grove heading west from the VMFA.

Bulb-outs and additional streetscape are being installed along Brookland Park Blvd.

The 130 new street trees in Scotts Addition aren't very large but definitely are noticeable.

Nice! If the city is putting in trees, it definitely signals a big change in Scott's Addition. This is awesome!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Nice! If the city is putting in trees, it definitely signals a big change in Scott's Addition. This is awesome!

I believe the trees are being handled by locals rather than the city.  Schools first!

12 hours ago, rjp212 said:

I love speed bumps as they give me an excuse to test my 0-60 between each one!  Sucks for fuel mileage though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I believe the trees are being handled by locals rather than the city.  Schools first!

I love speed bumps as they give me an excuse to test my 0-60 between each one!  Sucks for fuel mileage though.

AHHHHHH yes! Schools first!!

I hear ya on the speed bumps. Doesn't do the brake pads any favors either. Or the shackles if you happen to forget to brake and get airborne enough times... In my wilder, youthful days, I actually did end up breaking the shackles on my car by doing mini Dukes of Hazzard "jumps" getting airborne at speed over a particular railroad grade crossing near where I worked. I was usually running late just about every morning and was hammering it to make it to the office on time.

• Haha 2