Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

I hate to see that old bridge go, but it is really due there. I really do not understand keeping it 2 lanes, as both ends of the bridge are, in fact, 4 laned. Currently, the bridge is a bottleneck where the road narrows to 2 lanes, in order to cross the river.

I hate to see that old bridge go, but it is really due there. I really do not understand keeping it 2 lanes, as both ends of the bridge are, in fact, 4 laned. Currently, the bridge is a bottleneck where the road narrows to 2 lanes, in order to cross the river.

I agree. Why in the world would there only be two lanes other than the two lane thing on the north side of the river. They should at least keep it four lanes to the light at the corner of the shopping center and U of R and then go back to two lanes going through the neighborhood if you keep straight through the light. Really though, that bridge needed to be replaced 15 years ago! It was really bad 10 years ago when I used to have to cross it on an almost daily basis.

The prospect of 43,000 cars (expected capacity and a more than 50% increase over current usage) passing over the Huguenot bridge each day sometime in the future does not sit well with me. Cary and River already are already quite congested in the morning as it is, and these two narrow residential roads should never be expected to carry this much traffic.

The prospect of 43,000 cars (expected capacity and a more than 50% increase over current usage) passing over the Huguenot bridge each day sometime in the future does not sit well with me. Cary and River already are already quite congested in the morning as it is, and these two narrow residential roads should never be expected to carry this much traffic.

I would hate to see River Road and Cary Street Road widened, even as clogged as they are getting. It is such a beautiful drive from Goochland all the way to Windsor Farms.

I agree, but unless they manage to add another river crossing between Powhite and Chippenham, it is only going to get worse :(

I agree, but unless they manage to add another river crossing between Powhite and Chippenham, it is only going to get worse :(

I cross via Chippenham at least twice daily, and most of the time it's not very crowded at all. It's puzzling to me, as Huguenot can be at a dead crawl while traffic flies down the Willey. I realize it might not be the preferred route, but if a few folks shifted their routes a bit west, their commutes would be easier.

You'd still have a bottleneck where Cary becomes 2 lanes and you know they are NEVER going to widen that stretch of road and I'm really not sure what percentage of the traffic actually stops in that shopping area or turns left onto River Rd. I don't think the city wants to see that road become more of a thoroughfare than it already is.

• 2 weeks later...

Area transit called underfunded

Amazing that officials from the city are the only ones caller for a greater emphasis on mass-transit.

Regarding the recent legislation passed for transportation funding:

The law also reforms local land use for fast-growing localities. Richmond and neighboring counties must establish urban development areas by 2011.

These areas, in which localities will have the power to impose road-impact fees, are meant to discourage urban sprawl.

^^Thought that was interesting.

The city's perspective on regional transportation issues:

A better balance is needed between highway investments and mass transit investments, said Harry E. Black, Richmond's deputy chief administrative officer. The city's goal is to reduce the number of single-passenger vehicles on the city's roads, he said.

At least we know that local officials are looking ahead regarding transportation planning. Hopefully we'll never end up in the mess that many other areas face... though much of that will be dependent on state funding which has often screwed over those other areas.

From a story by Steve Glischinski in Trains Magazine's July issue:

CSX PROPOSES HUGE UPGRADE

"CSX has unveiled an ambitious plan to convert its Washington, D.C. to Miami main line to a three-and four-track corridor with no grade crossings. On the 1,200 miles of line, CSX said passenger trains could travel unimpeded at 110 mph and freight trains could operate at speeds of 50 to 70 mph.

"Some 1,700 grade crossings would be closed, with some replaced by bridges. There would be four main tracks between Washington and Richmond, Va., on the former Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac, and three tracks between Richmond and Miami.

"The plan would require a huge federal government investment. Last year, the U.S. Department of Transportation solicited applications to "accelerate development of multi-state transportation corridors of the future for one or more transportation modes." The DOT will select up to five major transportation corridors for the funding. The DOT is now choosing up to five finalists after the application deadline ended on April 2."

There was a picture accompanying the story of a train passing through Ashland "where the carrier's proposed massive four-track upgrade would not be made."

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

Talks are resuming about an extension of Powhite Parkway.

I saw an ad in Richmond magazine for Lake Chesdin and it showed the proposed extension of Powhite as a road that would swoop west, then south and east joining I-95 in Colonial Heights with a spur to Lake Chesdin (which is the dammed-up Appomattox River west of Petersburg).

The plan described in this story doesn't even extend to Hull Street Road.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/content/cva/r...07-08-0221.html

If Spottsylvania joined VRE, that would be another county closer to Richmond/Henrico with only two counties in between -- Caroline and Hanover. :) Main Street Station, maybe your day is coming!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-12-0151.html

Frequently asked questions about VRE:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-12-0192.html

Edited by burt

Well they replaced the span of the James River bridge on 95, the bridges over 95 like 5th and 7th streets have been hit so many times, I think they're just reparing them. They are old though.

Well they replaced the span of the James River bridge on 95, the bridges over 95 like 5th and 7th streets have been hit so many times, I think they're just reparing them. They are old though.

Im starting to be leary of driving underneath of them, they are rusted in a lot of spaces, and the welding makes me even more nervous because you are welding to structurally unsound beams... :o

Im starting to be leary of driving underneath of them, they are rusted in a lot of spaces, and the welding makes me even more nervous because you are welding to structurally unsound beams... :o

This is not Boston, we will be all right :)

Talk about rusty bridges! How about those trestles going in and out of Main Street Station? They've been there since the turn of the last Century.

Dont make it so I cant walk to the bottom too. :lol: Maybe we should start a rust spotting thread for the governor to come in and check out the status of the roads...

Dont make it so I cant walk to the bottom too. :lol: Maybe we should start a rust spotting thread for the governor to come in and check out the status of the roads...

External rust isn't really an indicator of the structural integrity of steel beams. Many of the beams they used to frame the new VCU buildings were rusted before they were even on site!

Edited by ric75

Don't know if anyone has heard yet, but Transurban, an Australian company, has pledged to build a connector road between the Pocahontas Parkway (Route 895) or was that I-895? and the Richmond International Airport. The construction would begin in 2008 and the connector would be completed in early 2010. That will cut a lot of time traveling from the parkway to the airport, thus that the airport traffic has grown by 32 percent in two years, making the connector road a necessity. VDOT will review and approve any plans that Transurban has in place before construction can begin. The cost of the road is mostly covered by a $150 million loan from the federal government. People in eastern Henrico County should see this as a welcome sign for faster access to the airport. ;)

Don't know if anyone has heard yet, but Transurban, an Australian company, has pledged to build a connector road between the Pocahontas Parkway (Route 895) or was that I-895? and the Richmond International Airport. The construction would begin in 2008 and the connector would be completed in early 2010. That will cut a lot of time traveling from the parkway to the airport, thus that the airport traffic has grown by 32 percent in two years, making the connector road a necessity. VDOT will review and approve any plans that Transurban has in place before construction can begin. The cost of the road is mostly covered by a $150 million loan from the federal government. People in eastern Henrico County should see this as a welcome sign for faster access to the airport. ;)

Thanks, ODU. It's great, long anticipated news and I've posted the Times Dispatch story on the RIC airport thread.