Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

Does anyone know if there are actual firm plans in the works to establish a central transit transfer point downtown? It was not an issue in the new Master Plan nor the Crupi Report. Vague references to such a facility under the shed of MSS are made, but so are suggestions of retail and/or markets.

Seems to me last I read on the subject, GRTC is thinking of two downtown transfer points without naming locations.

The vision was to have a multimodal transit center based at Main Street Station. I'm not sure where that has progressed... More of a vision at this point.

However, with the BRT proposal along Broad Street, I believe I read that GRTC is seeking 1 or 2 locations for establishing tranfers stations along the route.

GRTC use to have a "semi" transfer point in front of the State Library for certain bus routes. About 18-months ago, that was done away with due to the State /City's displeasure of unwanted loitering in front of the State Library. Some of those tranfers were dispersed to other parts of Downtown.

Edited by Shakman

IMO, there should be an enclosed structure where people won't freeze to death while waiting transfer from one bus to another; and it should be Center City.

The shelters such as the one on view in the latest http://www.richmondcenterstage.com update offer very little protection from the elements. They have roofs, but no sides to protect from winds, driving rain/snow, etc.

GRTC use to have a "semi" transfer point in front of the State Library for certain bus routes. About 18-months ago, that was done away with due to the State /City's displeasure of unwanted loitering in front of the State Library. Some of those tranfers were dispersed to other parts of Downtown.

That was only a temporary set up while construction displaced other stops... then people acted like it was a racial thing to move the people... as soon as someone gets used to something, they fight to keep it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

There's an interesting story in the latest issue of TRAINS Magazine titled "Any Hope for U.S. High-Speed Rail?"

There used to be a line running south from Petersburg to Raleigh. It was owned by the Seaboard Air Line Railway and carried many crack trains between Richmond and Raleigh and was referred to as the "S-line." The "A-line" to Raleigh, currently used by Amtrak, runs south from Petersburg via Emporia, Rocky Mount, and Selma, N.C., then doglegs back to Raleigh. The trip via the "S" line took 2 hours and 50 munutes from Richmond to Raleigh, while the present "A-line" between the two state capitals is a four-hour trip.

A proposed Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor calls for reconstruction of the S-line.

Says TRAINS Magazine:

"Spearheaded by investment from the states of North Cariolina and Virginia the project is further along than any other in the U.S. that would launch trains running at speeds above 90 mph over new track built specifically for such a service...

"...The goal is to extend the nation's sole island of high speed rail beyond Amtrak's 457-mile Boston-Washington corridor about another 450 miles south to Charlotte, N.C., initially, linking the new line with existing rights-of-way that are being incrementally upgraded north of Richmond and South of Raleigh...

"...Virginia has made triple-tracking CSX's former RF&P south of Washington its next priority."

It nice to read that this corridor from Washington via Richmond's MSS to Raleigh and Charlotte is getting more attention than other proposed passenger rail proposals. Of course, Congress has to act in order for funds to be made available.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond Looks at Restoring Streetcar Service

Rachel O. Flynn, director of community development, told a Greater Richmond Chamber audience that the city is working with GRTC Transit System to restore trolley service down the center of Broad Street as part of an emerging vision for the future of downtown.

The first step will be development of "bus rapid transit" service from downtown to the Boulevard, and eventually extending into Henrico County both west and east of the city...

Flynn said GRTC has secured a federal grant to help develop a rapid mass-transit system to move people to and from downtown more efficiently and with less dependence on automobiles.

Why can't the city afford it? Why is everything is "too expensive?" It was NEVER "too expensive" in the past and they created masterpieces. They did things right and nothing was ever "too expensive."

Wow with all the repetition, sounded like one of "those" posts. ;)

Edited by Cadeho

this bus rapid transit...from reading the article in today's RTD, it would have designated lanes either in the center of Broad or along the curb.

I just wonder how it'll navigate through traffic signals. would all lights turn red for this bus to come through the intersection?

It's an interesting idea. I'd love to see a rail system here in town. You know, it's always interesting to me to be in the city and you notice on certain streets where the pavement's worn away to reveal the old streetcar tracks. I noticed them on Laurel and Cherry streets a few weeks ago.

but in terms of a rail system...doesn't that cost hundreds of millions of dollars? who has that kind of money that's willing to pay for it? Did Norfolk secure federal funding and state funding for their rail line?

Edited by lch4

Norfolk's new light rail would not be possible without tough to get Federal and State? funding. I believe the signals would receive upgrades and the buses will have technology so that the lights would stay green for the buses to pass through... otherwise it's no difference than a normal bus.

• 5 weeks later...

I am on-board 110% with this!!!

I agree. This along with expanding the bus system to the surrounding counties with give more options of transportation. Hopefully this could equate to high ridership demand which could open the doors for some form of a light rail system along the main corridors coming into Downtown (i.e. Broad Street, Hull Street Rd, Chamberlaine Ave., Belvidere).

I recently read an article (forgot where) that GRTC will extend their contract with Martz bus line to continue the Richmond - Fredericksburg bus service. The contract will be extended, although ridership has been lower than expected. When I find the article, I will post a link.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone (other than me) been upset about the news of Greyhound upgrading their bus station in Richmond??? I'm upset because it was the promise that Main Street Station would become the transportation hub for the city, not the Boulevard! When is the city going to get onboard with their original plans! With this new upgrade to the current bus station, there is little chance the bus station will move downtown anytime soon. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Main Street Station: another boondoggle. Hardly any train stopping there, no buses, no anything...a boondoggle in the sense that it is not being utilized as it was once advertised.

• 4 weeks later...