Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...

And further, if they want trollies, they should be on tracks, not those cute motorized, rubber-tired versions.  Why don't they buy a fleet of double-decker buses?:lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen. Wooden, straight-backed seats on metal rails are okay because it's a pretty smooth ride, but put them on a trolley-bus that runs on the road with potholes and all, and you're sure to end up with a sore ass.

"The Richmond region has been blessed with far-sighted vision and effective leadership in the past that has resulted in a road network second to none in the Commonwealth. It is our challenge in this new century to build on that foundation and create a modern surface transportation system that encompasses roads, rails, and transit with interconnections among them all."

from a good interview with Gerald P. McCarthy, the Richmond District representative on the Commonwealth Transportation Board. Definitely worth reading:

Q&A: Transit, Rail, will improve transportation

"The Richmond region has been blessed with far-sighted vision and effective leadership in the past that has resulted in a road network second to none in the Commonwealth. It is our challenge in this new century to build on that foundation and create a modern surface transportation system that encompasses roads, rails, and transit with interconnections among them all."

from a good interview with Gerald P. McCarthy, the Richmond District representative on the Commonwealth Transportation Board. Definitely worth reading:

Q&A: Transit, Rail, will improve transportation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An excellent read, Coupe. :)

Edited by burt

I just wanted to know if anyone has seen Richmond's skyline from the 895 overpass (toll road) right on the James River.  It is a briliant shot.  I wish I had my camera on me when I was passing by.  If anyone has a picture of Richmond from this spot post it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The couple of times I've driven it, I was too damned scared to take my eyes off the road. :lol: If you have acrophobia, it's not the bridge for you! If you're that way again, John, I hope you can snap some pictures and post them here. I'd really like to see the skyline from there.

I know that there is a shot from that vantage point on RCW...I'll just have to find it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can find it in Ryan's portfolio, Eric, please post it here. You know that a 3200-home/apartment development is planned on the Henrico shore of the James under and on both sides of the Pocohontas (I-895) bridge. :)

If you can find it in Ryan's portfolio, Eric, please post it here.  You know that a 3200-home/apartment development is planned on the Henrico shore of the James under and on both sides of the Pocohontas (I-895) bridge. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really!? I have never heard of this project. Are you pulling my leg Burt? :huh:

Really!?  I have never heard of this project.  Are you pulling my leg Burt?  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the truth, Eric. In fact, Henrico has already approved it. The development is on a hugh tract of land called Wilton or something similar. Rocketts Landing will be just above it on the James and, as I understand it, they will almost connect. A new interchange will be built on the Pocahontas Pkwy (895) to handle the expected traffic. And of course, you know that an interchange and airport connector road are also planned off the Pocahontas. :)

yup, the Wilton Farm was purchased for this development purpose. A town center type area is also planned for the project, as well as an elementary school. 3200 houses/apartments is a lot, but western Chesterfield's proposed 5000+ home development will be even larger. Anyways, the Wilton project will be a big change for mostly rural varina.

I'm still trying to find that photo.  I know that I saw it either on RCW or on www.roadstothefuture.com which is a great site, by-the-way, if you are looking for some great shots of the Richmond road system.  Also includes DC, Baltimore, etc.  When I find this photo, I will post it...just be patient.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, boy! this roadstothefuture site will entertain me for hours. Thanks, Eric. :)

I read in today's paper that a consortium of an Australian company and an Irish bank may purchase the Pocahontas Pkwy (895). It apparently has operated in the red since opening a couple of years ago, but with the recent approval by Henrico Planning Commission of a 3200 residential development in Varina, a large increase in traffic is anticipated, making the Pkwy an attractive investment. See today's RTD for complete story.

• 1 month later...

this article almost slipped under our radar screen....almost :)

Airport connector road and road-widening near biotech park attain federal funding

"A highway and transit bill passed by Congress would bring $8.6 million for a Richmond International Airport connector road and $3.4 million for widening several streets in the Virginia Biotechnology Park downtown.......

.......also would provide $5 million for a new GRTC Transit System bus facility and $1.6 million for work on the Mayo Bridge.

It would provide $5.4 million for transportation projects in preparation for the 400th anniversary in 2007 of Jamestown's founding."

sooooo, maybe the mayo is getting a facelift afterall ????

All of the funding listed above is really good news. The Airport Connector from Pocahontas Pkwy will really be good news for air travelers south of the James, and that includes the Tri-Cities. In fact, Hopewell/Prince George users can approach the airport on I-295, Pocahontas and the connector, while booming southern and western Chesterfield can connect via 288, I-95, Pocahontas (bridge) and connector. Also, remember that an interchange for the new Wilton/Varina 3200-home development will be built.

Great announcement about funds for Mayo (14th street) Bridge. Maybe they can spruce up the columns and remove (or hide) the unsightly electrical wires swinging from pole to pole.

I sure hope that HR is getting its share of funding, too. :)

• 1 month later...