Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

As a future rider, I’m going to hate this stop too.  It’s only 1 block from the City Hall stop.   It’s completejy unnecessary.

A stop between Scott’s Addition  and Staples Mill would have been a better use of that money (especially if that huge apartment development at the old Virginia wildlife management complex is still in the works)..  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cbl1 said:

Per GRTC website -Pulse corridor cones/barriers removal starting this week with full scale testing going on with buses on routes next week.

http://ridegrtc.com/news-initiatives/news-updates/removal-of-pulse-construction-barrels-grtc-operational-exercises

I'm looking forward to this system finally getting off the ground and running.  I think it's going to make a big difference in the economic investment that is taking place along the BRT corridor.  I expect to see a whole lot of density established along the route in the coming years...especially if the ridership meets or exceeds expectations.  Opening day can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Pulse is such a half baked idea that was only conceived because of a TIGER grant. 

I think it will cause a mess of traffic. Some of the lanes are more narrow than they already were. The Allison Street intersection is going to be an absolute nightmare when the Whole Foods opens.

It may end up getting the ridership they expect (only 3500), but I think a lot of this number will be people who already use the bus system...and yuppies from Rocketts Landing going downtown.

Edited by Tarzan6179

42 minutes ago, Tarzan6179 said:

The Pulse is such a half baked idea that was only conceived because of a TIGER grant. 

I think it will cause a mess of traffic. Some of the lanes are more narrow than they already were. The Allison Street intersection is going to be an absolute nightmare when the Whole Foods opens.

It may end up getting the ridership they expect (only 3500), but I think a lot of this number will be people who already use the bus system...and yuppies from Rocketts Landing going downtown.

Let’s give it a chance and see how it plays out. If it’s a disaster, it can always be undone. But, if it helps connect people to their jobs / services  faster, encourages more choice riders, and acts as a catalyst to expand transit to other parts of the region thereby better connecting jobs to poverty (Richmond ranks horribly here), then it may be worth a little extra traffic on Broad Street. 

• Like 3

Traffic flow is already better on Broad Street.  Turning the third lane into a dedicated turn lane makes it all work much better.  The backups at Belvedere and Broad aren’t as lengthy now that the light cycles have changed. 

I live directiy across from the Arts District station and drive Broad Street 2-4 times  a day (for work).  It keeps getting g easier and easier as more people learn the new traffic patterns. 

• Like 4

Not necessarily the best quality about it but it's also brought a large sum of new development proposals along the line, from Scotts Addition to Jackson Ward to that new wyndham proposed in Shockoe, so those who say it will drive away and discourage investment couldn't have run any farther in the wrong direction

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

Whats wrong with it being used mostly by people who already use it? While I would love to see more ridership, I also want to see the bus system get faster and more reliable for the people who depend on it. 

Also BRT is not this outrageous idea that Richmond is on the cutting edge of. It a well established and consistently effective type of public transportation that has been used all over the world for a couple decades. 

I'm also guessing you don't ride the bus, and never have in the City of Richmond which is why you only see this as an inconvenience in your personal daily travel.

This is not about an inconvenience to my personal daily travel. It's about doing what's best for the city. I'm not sure why you make such assumptions. I live in the city and have used the bus frequently for over 5 years at least. BRT has not been nearly as successful in America as other countries, but I'm not a hater of the BRT concept. I just think the project was rushed through and only pursued because there was a bunch of federal money available for it. I just don't think it's necessary. We are fundamentally changing Broad Street and it seems like a huge risk. I really doubt the people who use the bus now are that stoked on the BRT. In fact, I've spoken with several who are not. They've had their bus routes constantly changed through the construction, all while they are still subjected to the "temporary" joke of a transfer plaza. The ugly cliche cookie cutter modernist stations next to a Whole Foods reek of gentrification. The people who use the bus now do not want that. They want improved CARE van service. They want more reliable service and coverage, which  GRTC is supposed to do this summer and that's great, though I can't help but to think how much more they could've done with just the city's financial investment in BRT.

12 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Traffic flow is already better on Broad Street.  Turning the third lane into a dedicated turn lane makes it all work much better.  The backups at Belvedere and Broad aren’t as lengthy now that the light cycles have changed.  

I live directiy across from the Arts District station and drive Broad Street 2-4 times  a day (for work).  It keeps getting g easier and easier as more people learn the new traffic patterns.  

Very interesting. I have not noticed, but will be sure to check it out.

12 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Not necessarily the best quality about it but it's also brought a large sum of new development proposals along the line, from Scotts Addition to Jackson Ward to that new wyndham proposed in Shockoe, so those who say it will drive away and discourage investment couldn't have run any farther in the wrong direction 

Are we really ready to chalk up the development of Scott's Addition to BRT? I definitely think it can and has already spurred some investment, but I'm sure plenty are waiting on the sidelines to see how it plays out.

I'm prepared to say Scott's Addition future growth is contingent on good public transportation like the Pulse.   The pulse opens up all of Richmond to Scott's Addition and makes it a prime spot for future growth with the ease of access to downtown jobs.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

First time poster. Rode it end to end with my wife and kids today. It was crowded, to say the least. The bus really moves between Staples Mill and Science Museum or maybe even VCU, then it’s a slog. Seems as though they’re still working out the signal priority feature. We got off at Rockett’s Landing and ate at the Urban Farmhouse, which seems to be struggling (the employees were pretty up-front about that). The ride back to Willow Lawn seemed a bit more efficient. I’ll be taking it for free to work downtown, and then see how it goes.

Welcome to the forum!  Come back and post often. Thanks for your review of the Pulse.  I hope it is successful!