Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

I hope the airport will have a "people-mover" from the Pocahontas extension to the terminal.

Eric, are you listening?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I'm here Burt. I'm really trying to figure out what you mean by "people mover". In my head a people mover is like a bus or public transit system that moves people around town. I think, however, you are referring to this extension from the Pocahontas Parkway. I KNOW that the extension is going to be built and is going to be nice...can't wait. I also hope that there is a REAL "people mover" on a rail system from the airport to MSS that will be in place soon. That would be a dream at this point. Thanks for posting the map! Looks really good!

by people mover did you mean one of those conveyor belts people stand on in the airport? haha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. I'm talking about the kind of underground trains at Atlanta Hartsfield/Jackson International connecting concourses. Other airports have similar conveyances, but the moving belt would be better than nothing. :lol:

I'm sure the Pocahontas airport extension will not go directly to the terminal building, but on the other hand, guess it will connect directly to the airport's road system. So, on second thought, maybe a people mover won't be necessary until there is further concourse expansion. Who knows" Maybe soon there will be a separate International terminal at RIC. :)

Edited by burt

I think the extension would connect directly to airport drive.... so by people mover... would those giant moon rover vehicles they use at Dulles count? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really, because they operate on tarmacs and do the job of jetways.

Haven't you ever been in huge big Metropolitan airports that have the kind of people movers I've described?

Actually, the only airports I've been in are Richmond, Dulles, Ottawa, and London Heathrow...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Heathrow has one, and I'm pretty sure Charles DeGaulle and Frankfort also have similar carriers. I'v been in and out of so many airports (and they all look alike) that I can't remember where else than Atlanta I've seen them, but am sure I've been on more than one! Seems to me Tampa is another.

I think Heathrow has one, and I'm pretty sure Charles DeGaulle and Frankfort also have similar carriers.  I'v been in and out of so many airports (and they all look alike) that I can't remember where else than Atlanta I've seen them, but am sure I've been on more than one!  Seems to me Tampa is  another.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Downtown Detroit has a people mover system on a rail through the downtown, and I believe Miami also has one through its downtown.

• 5 weeks later...

Who would think that the Port of Richmond would have anything to do with The Trans Dominion Express and Amtrak? Well, according to reports, each might benefit the other.

The river port just downstream on the James but still within the city limits, wants to enhance its rail facilities so as to solicit more business from southwest Virginia and other areas. Under the plan being discussed, it would build a "loop" line and storage facilities so that Amtrak and TDX, the hoped for passenger connection from Bristol, Roanoke and Lynchburg, could load and unload at Main Street Station, then cross the James to the Port lay-over storage facility. Trains, after being serviced, could then use the "loop" line and return to MSS for loading and thence on to their respective destinations.

Read Chip Jones full story on today's RTD business page.

This also benefits HR too cause they ship the barges there to Norfolk, Newport News and Portsmouth! That would be a win win for both areas!

Absolutely. In addition to the barges, there are trans-Atlantic container ships that ply the James to Port of Richmond - about one per week, I believe.

Trans Dominion Express trains from Southwest Virginia could stop at Main Street Station and continue on to a new downtown station in Newport News. It would require some track work at MSS - like a "wye" north of the station - but that shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

Edited by burt

I read it.... I think linking southwestern virginia with its more prosperous neighbors to the east could do wonders for that region...

I think it would benefit all the way from the west to the far east of the state. Now this is a win for the state period and could bring more plants and such to the western part of the state.

exactly... I hope this transdominion express becomes a reality. Hell, maybe down the road people could commute to Richmond or elsewhere from the Southwest, bringing better pay to the region. Or heck, maybe even people from Richmond could take the train to work in Lynchburg or something.

Well this could be more of a push for better modes of transportation like train through the entire state. Connecting NOVA, Richmond, HR, and Roanoke/Charlotesville with fast trains!

NOVA to Richmond via main st station can be awesome if they can fix the ACCA yards just north of Richmond. Also, there are plans in the works to connect Richmond to HR which have been discussed on UP recently.Richmond could actually act as a hub of sorts, connecting people from the west to NOVa or HR or any combination like that. It would be good not only for Richmond but for the whole freakin' state!

NOVA to Richmond via main st station can be awesome if they can fix the ACCA yards just north of Richmond. Also, there are plans in the works to connect Richmond to HR which have been discussed on UP recently.Richmond could actually act as a hub of sorts, connecting people from the west to NOVa or HR or any combination like that. It would be good not only for Richmond but for the whole freakin' state!

Well Richmond can be the Hub due to it being the center of all the metros so I wouldn't gripe about that at all. :thumbsup:

here's the proposed map of how the TDX network would look....

Attractions.jpg

here's how the cost breaks down:

What is the actual cost to become operational?

Current studies support a liberal state cost estimate of up to $120 million to complete upgrades to the entire rail line, about the same cost as 10 miles of Interstate highway construction.

Does this cost include equipment?

No. This is the capital cost for tracks. Equipment will be purchased or leased over 15 years at about $2.9 million per year.

home.jpg

hopefully it happens...

• 2 weeks later...

Rail projects clear hurdle!

"Replacing aging train switches in Richmond's congested Acca Yard made the first cut of new rail projects recommended for state funding.

At a meeting yesterday of Gov. Mark R. Warner's Rail Advisory Board, state officials said some of Acca's switching devices -- key to moving trains in a timely manner across the freight yard -- were up to 50 years old.

Replacing them is a first step to speeding Amtrak passenger trains through CSX Corp.'s Acca facility to Main Street Station and on to Tidewater, officials said.......

.....A second set of proposals under consideration could help the Port of Richmond and possibly build a staging area for Amtrak trains at Main Street Station."

This is good news. Thank god the state established a dedicated rail fund!

here's how the cost breaks down:

What is the actual cost to become operational?

Current studies support a liberal state cost estimate of up to $120 million to complete upgrades to the entire rail line, about the same cost as 10 miles of Interstate highway construction.

Does this cost include equipment?

No. This is the capital cost for tracks. Equipment will be purchased or leased over 15 years at about $2.9 million per year.

$120 million for all that! Wow, that sounds like a bargain! I mean compared to the River LINE in Southern NJ which is 34 miles long and cost $1 BILLION! I wonder if that estimate will go up in the future?