Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

This was on the RVA reddit site last week - I think we have a very similar version of this way back somewhere on this thread - but since this was a new post on the RVA reddit site, I thought it might be interesting to post (re-post?) it here.

Obviously just a schematic - but it's a nice effort. Far from perfect - but it's cool to see that there are folks who are thinking about stuff like this.

I'd be happy just to get SOMETHING underway on a north-south PULSE route. Given the Central Virginia project list for which CVTA is recommending the infrastructure money be parsed out to fund, I wonder if/when we'll see any kind of work get underway on a north-south PULSE route? No question, PULSE is in the Richmond 300 plan - and it's even in the City Center SAP. I think with Manchester growing by leaps and bounds and given all the new construction in the pipeline - the city probably wants to at least start some realistic planning to get a PULSE route into Manchester sooner than later. Given the amount of development going on, it will be needed in the next few years.

UPk45jmO4XkdvSSmTbuU0MD-6ZLVBhmTTpTs4yC6cgk.webp

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting - GRTC has received enough federal funding to extend the zero-far/free bus service program through FY 2023. GRTC will study the impacts of the program. The funding is completely from federal money - nothing is coming from the city budget to fund this program in FY23.

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/grtc-will-be-able-to-fund-to-zero-fare-initiative-in-the-upcoming-year-according/article_aae5263e-3fd0-59a1-885a-e643d90f5892.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

This will help us become a railroad "hub" of some sorts. 

$58M Federal grant to support Raleigh to Richmond rail corridor (cbs17.com)

Good stuff. "R2R" -- is a good idea all the way around. Glad to see this is happening.

"Even if it is to the Commonwealth of Virginia" - Jesus - give politicians a microphone and they think they're the second coming of George Carlin. (insert non-existant but much-needed eye-roll emoji here)

• Like 1

This project is sorely needed and if built to 110 mph (which should be done when first building the corridor with later electrification), is scheduled to shave off 2 hours on the trip from Richmond to Raleigh, bringing it down to under 2.5 hours between the 2, easily competitive with driving. This could be a slam dunk for Amtrak, Virginia and North Carolina! Wondering though if part of this project would include financing to bring this service into MSS from across the James over a new bridge. If anyone has that answer, I’d love to know! Hopefully though this route offers a lot more than 4 trains between the 2 cities each day as there could easily be demand due to no air travel between the two cities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

Wondering though if part of this project would include financing to bring this service into MSS from across the James over a new bridge. If anyone has that answer, I’d love to know! 

That thought crossed my mind as well. The new bridge and the routing of trains from the south through MSS needs to happen.

Just as a follow-up - regarding the replacement bridge and re-routing trains currently taking the Beltine to come through downtown to serve MSS: if officials in NC are projecting trains could be up and running along the CSX S-Line in 3-to-7 years - and since we know that the Virginia portion of the overall initiative includes (if I remember correctly) over $1 billion needed to handle the Richmond portion of adding platform space at Staples Mill, the bridge crossing downtown, etc., I'm wondering if we will have the infrastructure actually in place within 3-to-7 years should trains start coming north from Raleigh by that time? My biggest concern is that the bridge won't be built, trains will get diverted to the A-Line and stop at Staples Mill - and who knows WHEN the downtown RVA portion of this decade-long project will be ready. I hope and pray the Virginia representation on the Southeast Corridor Commission will push hard to get grant funding flowing not just to cover the extremely expensive NOVA portion (which, again, if I recall) is getting priority on the timeline) but also to get the money necessary to get that new bridge built here. I always tend to be concerned that no matter what, RVA's "importance" takes a back seat to everyone elses "importance" - and the RVA part of the process, while not an "afterthought" specifically, becomes secondary to other parts of these kinds of projects.

Has there been any talk or plans ever to complete I-295 on over to I-85 south of Petersburg.   The current I-295 is a good bypass if you are staying on 95 but I-85 leads to Piedmont of the Carolinas  where the major of both states populations live not to mention further south  Atlanta.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Has there been any talk or plans ever to complete I-295 on over to I-85 south of Petersburg.   The current I-295 is a good bypass if you are staying on 95 but I-85 leads to Piedmont of the Carolinas  where the major of both states populations live not to mention further south  Atlanta.   

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any plans or even talk, though that has always been a weird disconnect.  The layout of I-295 almost looks like they meant to connect it at the I-85 interchange, but then realized the battlefield park was in the way, so they went with a long extra loop around Fort Lee.  The presence of wetlands, national parks and military make any future connections unlikely and looping I-295 all the way to I-85 to bypass only 3 miles would be cost-prohibitive.  Perhaps some improvements to Business US-460 or ultimately designating VA-895 as an extension of I-85 (with concurrency along I-95 from Petersburg to the Pocahontas Bridge) could help streamline the route.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any plans or even talk, though that has always been a weird disconnect.  The layout of I-295 almost looks like they meant to connect it at the I-85 interchange, but then realized the battlefield park was in the way, so they went with a long extra loop around Fort Lee.  The presence of wetlands, national parks and military make any future connections unlikely and looping I-295 all the way to I-85 to bypass only 3 miles would be cost-prohibitive.  Perhaps some improvements to Business US-460 or ultimately designating VA-895 as an extension of I-85 (with concurrency along I-95 from Petersburg to the Pocahontas Bridge) could help streamline the route.

Pretty sure 295 was meant to be mostly a bypass of Richmond, but traffic never got heavy enough for most people to justify using it.  I feel like the stretch from Petersburg up to 64 is basically a total waste, no one uses it at all.  It should have jutted over to connect to 288 at 95 and given us a true beltway.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Why give more options to bypass our city?  Let them come and stop for a visit.

Though I doubt many people just driving through would ever stop in a downtown on a whim, I do believe forcing them to enjoy the amazing skyline on the Northbound approach has a positive impact.  The North Carolina cities may be bigger but none have a similar view from the interstate.  Even Charlotte is easy to drive by on I-85 without noticing (this really threw me off a few weeks ago).

• Like 3

Found this tidbit of info on Twitter just now:

Pulse Median Bus Only lanes will be coated red between downtown and Scott’s Addition beginning Tuesday, June 21. Pulse buses will operate in mixed traffic and serve adjacent curbside stops near road work. Details at:

ridegrtc.com/news-initiatives/news-updates/pulse-bus-only-lane-red-coating

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Icetera said:

Though I doubt many people just driving through would ever stop in a downtown on a whim, I do believe forcing them to enjoy the amazing skyline on the Northbound approach has a positive impact.  The North Carolina cities may be bigger but none have a similar view from the interstate.  Even Charlotte is easy to drive by on I-85 without noticing (this really threw me off a few weeks ago).

next time stop I will give you the nickel tour.  Yes our skyline is only prominent on I-77 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

next time stop I will give you the nickel tour.  Yes our skyline is only prominent on I-77 

That would be great!  I do need to wander down to Charlotte, and Raleigh, again as a lot has certainly changed in the ten years since I have last been to either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

That would be great!  I do need to wander down to Charlotte, and Raleigh, again as a lot has certainly changed in the ten years since I have last been to either.

Give me an hour and I will blow your socks off and I give tours a lot. 

• Like 3

Saw this sign across form Lowes just now (photo taken from my truck, so far away lol). 

I’ve been waiting years for these red lanes.  One more thing distancing the city from it’s small town past!   Wonder if they really will plant cherry trees? 

CDCDD840-3670-48F9-88E9-04883B1530BE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

Saw this sign across form Lowes just now (photo taken from my truck, so far away lol). 

I’ve been waiting years for these red lanes.  One more thing distancing the city from it’s small town past!   Wonder if they really will plant cherry trees? 

CDCDD840-3670-48F9-88E9-04883B1530BE.jpeg

Cherry trees would be sweet looking on W. Broad. Would be a really cool addition. And I LOVE the red BRT lanes. Agreed with moving us away from "small town" with the BRT lanes. Now we need to get a second PULSE line up and running - something going north-south.

Here's a close-up of the sign.

CDCDD840-3670-48F9-88E9-04883B1530BE.jpeg.951b8975ddf32d27f3056479af4c5707.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Yep!  Saw on Twitter that they will begin painting on Tuesday and won't be totally finished with the project until near the end of July!  Looking forward to this.

Hopefully this will help drivers know which lane they’re supposed to be in and more importantly , which one not to be in.

• Like 4