Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

4 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Not too impressed by this seemingly very expensive parking lot for GRTC’s transfer station:

F952F67B-D4BD-4019-BC38-0F5EC6A8A7CE.jpeg

WTF??? Oh no.. they have GOT to be kidding! I thought there would AT LEAST be some kind of STRUCTURE involved - like - a building or something to fully enclose it. Jesus -- what a total waste of space. They don't need to put up a big parking lot for that - they could do that on surface streets in bus lanes if that's all they're going to do. I thought they were going to build a legitimate structure.

This had BETTER be temporary because it's a JOKE if this is what they've got planned as a permanent fixture there. What a total waste...

• Like 2

This is a TOTAL embarrassment for something in the downtown of a supposedly up-and-coming city.

The bus transfer plaza should be woven into a larger development that includes a structure of SOME kind - office building - mixed use - something including retail. (I don't know how it would fly with a residential building). 

This GRTC station is no better than extremely basic bus transfer places in either the far reaches of the city or in the suburbs here in Chicago. For Christ's sake - it doesn't even have a ROOF! 

Here are a few examples from around Chicagoland - and NONE of these are anywhere remotely CLOSE to downtown:

Screenshot (2239).png

Screenshot (2238).png

Screenshot (2237).png

Screenshot (2236).png

Screenshot (2235).png

33 minutes ago, eandslee said:

To be fair, this is SUPPOSED to be a temporary bus transfer station, but we’ll see how long it hangs around. 

Understood that it's supposed to be temporary - but you nailed it - how long is this thing going to be an albatross hanging round the neck of downtown?

Edited by I miss RVA

2 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

Why temporary? We already have a temporary one now, how about we just build the real one?

I'm guessing the city/GRTC want to wait until something more definite regarding City Center is established. Right now there's a ton of potential - and the only thing standing in the way of potential and something amazing downtown is air and opportunity. BUT - until the city makes a firm move and commitment on City Center - I don't think GRTC wants to attempt to build a permanent transfer plaza only to have to build ANOTHER one that fits better with whatever is planned for that part of downtown. I'm guessing THAT component won't even be seriously considered until the coliseum is removed.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Child2021 said:

I'm hope GRTC hasn't gave up on articulated buses yet, I think seeing those around would definitely signal things are changing around here.

Last I heard, they either were purchasing them or were going to purchase some. Haven't seen any updates about that in quite a while though.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, plain said:

I haven't been on here much over the weekend so I'm just now seeing this.

In case you missed it or didn't know, the new "temporary" plaza will include two extended slips for articulated buses...

You didn't miss much - the site was down for maintenance all day yesterday and last night as well.

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Details of GRTC’s historic bus service in Chesterfield county (Route 60) starting later next year:

https://www.chesterfield.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=3093

This is long overdue. If the county gives this a chance to really blossom, they will be surprised - most localities wait for development to justify mass transit, when economics and history both have shown in cities all over the world that the exact opposite is what works - extending transit promotes development. I'm not sure one year is enough time to see this start to sprout, but I guarantee you - if the county sticks with it, they will see an uptick in development all along that corridor. At some point I would hope this could get converted to a PULSE BRT line.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

https://www.axios.com/local/richmond/2022/11/07/richmond-grtc-new-route-line

GRTC Updates:

Sooner:

Meanwhile, GRTC is working to expand rush-hour capacity on the Pulse, with an order in for high-passenger buses (the kind with an accordion in the middle) that are expected to go into service in the next two to three years, Frontiero says.

• The longer buses will require longer platforms to be added to all Pulse stations.

Later:

What’s happening: GRTC commissioned a $700,000 study at the end of last month to evaluate potential routes for the new service.

• North of the city center, the new line would follow Chamberlayne Avenue and Highway 1 to Virginia Center Commons, per GRTC.
  • But to the south of the city center, the options are less obvious, with Richmond Highway, Hull Street and Midlothian Turnpike all options with different potential advantages.

I must say, if you're not subscribing the Axios Richmond for daily updates you're definitely missing out. It's quite the gem, easy to read every morning, and they break it down so well.  It's free.

Big news! We knew this was coming eventually but nice to see it moving now. Chamberlayne is the only north route that makes sense, no surprise there, but i thought any new route would be more south focused, I'm surprised they want to go as far north as VCC (though that is just an initial analysis, always likely to get trimmed back). My guess was they only go as far north as BPB or Azalea at the most.

For south I've said in the past Hull St then veering off to Midlothian makes the most sense given the goal of what a BRT is supposed to do - go thru dense development corridor.  Hull st past Midlothian does not fit that description.  Jeff Davis would work as well, ideally we have 3 total routes with north south going down there and another east west going from downtown down Hull to Midlothian. 

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

https://www.axios.com/local/richmond/2022/11/07/richmond-grtc-new-route-line

GRTC Updates:

Sooner:

Meanwhile, GRTC is working to expand rush-hour capacity on the Pulse, with an order in for high-passenger buses (the kind with an accordion in the middle) that are expected to go into service in the next two to three years, Frontiero says.

• The longer buses will require longer platforms to be added to all Pulse stations.

Later:

What’s happening: GRTC commissioned a $700,000 study at the end of last month to evaluate potential routes for the new service.

• North of the city center, the new line would follow Chamberlayne Avenue and Highway 1 to Virginia Center Commons, per GRTC.
  • But to the south of the city center, the options are less obvious, with Richmond Highway, Hull Street and Midlothian Turnpike all options with different potential advantages.

I must say, if you're not subscribing the Axios Richmond for daily updates you're definitely missing out. It's quite the gem, easy to read every morning, and they break it down so well.  It's free.

Proof why Pulse should be converted to light rail.

• Like 3

I also thought that GRTC had already purchased the larger capacity buses (I thought that someone on this forum had even seen them….maybe…that is if memory serves). 

This new North/South route needs to get up and runner sooner rather than later.  Also, extending the Pulse eastward to the airport and westward to Short Pump is critical!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

I also thought that GRTC had already purchased the larger capacity buses (I thought that someone on this forum had even seen them….maybe…that is if memory serves). 

This new North/South route needs to get up and runner sooner rather than later.  Also, extending the Pulse eastward to the airport and westward to Short Pump is critical!

I had seen them testing one that appeared to be borrowed from Alexandria.  I believe this was shortly prior to the pandemic.  Someone had also found where they had budgeted a few.

• Like 3