Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

Orulz, let me see if I follow you on this. Your proposal for southbound SEHSR would be the simulated "A" line from Dunlop to N/S, thence via your purple connection to "S" line north of the N/S belt? Would that avoid the compromises on "S" north of Burgess?
I think you got it. I'll put together a better map, using Illustrator instead of Paint to explain things better.

And is there still a bridge across the Appomattox on the simulated "A" from Dunlop to N/S?
No, that bridge is gone, as is the old S-line bridge. Some supports and abutments remain for both, but given their age, they're probably not suitable for use anymore.

Another question: Is the old "S" line still operational north from "Pete" Interlocking to Chester? I thought that line was abandoned years ago.
No, it's out of service. I believe that the entire S-line between Burgess and Chester was abandoned in 1967 when ACL and SAL merged.

Another curious relic of the old abandoned "S" line is that it defines much of Petersburg's and Colonial Heights' western borders, between the independent cities and Dinwiddie/Chesterfield counties.

I'm glad to see there's someone else interested in this sort of stuff on here :)

Oh, yes. Orulz. I'm addicted to trains.

Do you think MSS is truly capable of handling a lot of traffic? Some say the platforms are not long enough to accommodate the Floirida trains. I don't know why! They were long enough for the Silver Service and Chessie until about the 1960s. But since all the storage trackage has been removed it can operate only as a pass-thru station.

And I believe the Doswell connection should be upgraded for use by express trains to and from the north, south and east (and possibly, the west) thus avoiding Ashland and Acca. However, people in the know scoff at that idea.

Edited by burt

Do you think MSS is truly capable of handling a lot of traffic? Some say the platforms are not long enough to accommodate the Floirida trains. I don't know why! They were long enough for the Silver Service and Chessie until about the 1960s. But since all the storage trackage has been removed it can operate only as a pass-thru station.
I think Main Street station can absolutely handle the traffic, albeit not in its present configuration

I've heard talk about eventually restoring the train shed, although that could only be used for trains terminating in Richmond bound to/from the northeast corridor. I think that topic always goes along with the occasional talk of extending electrification to Richmond.

Both viaducts that run by Main Street Station are double-track (the eastern one for trains bound for Newport News; the western one for trains bound for Petersburg/Norfolk/Raleigh/Florida.) There's no reason reason that a platform couldn't be built on the second tracks on both sides of the station, and a second viaduct could even be built along the line to Florida to further increase capacity, since there's nothing more there than a parking lot, anyway.

And I believe the Doswell connection should be upgraded for use by express trains to and from the north, south and east (and possibly, the west) thus avoiding Ashland and Acca. However, people in the know scoff at that idea.
Acca has problems, but those can be solved by upgrades and modifications to the layout. Ashland is a problem, too - but the Doswell connection is just so crooked and the mainline through downtown is straight as an arrow. So even if trains were limited to 60mph for a mile on either side of town, it'd still be faster than the alternate route ever could be.

Ashland's interesting. Riding the Silver Star through there, you feel like you're in a streetcar rather than a long-distance passenger train. Ideally, to solve the traffic conflicts, a trench could be built (or less satisfactorily, an elevated track) but there may not be enough space to allow even that.If that turns out to be the case, a bypass would be nice. Until the problem is solved, however, why not just stop the trains in Ashland, so the speed restrictions will be obeyed just as a part of slowing the trains down for the stop?

Several trains DO stop in Ashland to drop off and pick up passengers.

Also, the eastern viaduct at MSS now has only a single track. Why they tore up the other one I don't know. And I can't say anything about the western viaduct because I haven't see it. But I suspect it is single track as well.

Several trains DO stop in Ashland to drop off and pick up passengers.
I mean stopping the high speed trains in Ashland as well. Sure it eats into the schedule, but if the trains are already going slow, then no big deal, right?

lso, the eastern viaduct at MSS now has only a single track. Why they tore up the other one I don't know. And I can't say anything about the western viaduct because I haven't see it. But I suspect it is single track as well.
OK, I stand corrected. Both viaducts are wide enough for two tracks, but both are single-track. The eastern viaduct was probably converted to single-track in order to widen the platform for accessibility. Who knows why the western viaduct was changed.

Am lookinng at the color jacket of the book VIRGINIA RAILWAY DEPOTS. It's a wonderful depiction of the Silver Comet approaching MSS from the south, and on the east bound track, the diesel locomotive of a Chessie train headed for Newport News. In the painting, the western viaduct is double tracked and the loading platform extends along the viaduct across Main Street.

The James River Bridge is single track, I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Aussie Company to Take Over Pocahontas Pkwy, build Airport Connector

In a deal worth $522 million, Virginia will lease the financially ailing toll road to Transurban, an Australian company, for the next 99 years.

In return, Transurban will build the much-desired Airport Connector to Richmond International Airport, assuming the company gets federal loans for the $40 million $50 million project....

Under the basic agreement, Transurban also will:

# pay off the Pocahontas Parkway Association's debt of about $460 million;

# repay about $45 million, plus interest, that VDOT spent to run the road;

# take over responsibility for the road's upkeep; and

# share profits with the state if parkway traffic is better than expected.

Should the state's transportation needs change, the proposed deal allows VDOT to buy out Transurban after 40 years.

This seems like a good deal for everyone involved... I just wish the tolls were lower. If they were smart, they'd realize it is the reason the road is underused!!!

I just wish the tolls were lower. If they were smart, they'd realize it is the reason the road is underused!!!

Amen to that! It also still sounds uncertain whether the airport connector road will be built because they still need to get financial backing to do it...and you know how that can go sometimes. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hope that they can and will get the connector road started sooner rather than later.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Today's TD reports that GRTC wants to establish bus service from suburban Richmond to connect with VRE trains in Fredericksburg. They feel that a pick-up spot downtown would not generate enough traffic and suggest Glenside and Fair Oaks Park & Ride lots in Henrico as pick-up spots.

Virginia Railway Express acknowledges that a significant number of Richmond area residents commute to Northern Virginia and hints that an extension from Fredericksburg to Spottsylvania and even Caroline Counties may be feasible.

If they extend that far south, why not come all the way to Staples Mill Amtrak station? Until (and a big IF) CSX improves track connections to Main Street Station, it's not likely there will be rail service via VRE from MSS.

It is reported that more than half of the Amtrak trains on CSX trackage between Richmond and Washington run more than 10 minutes late. That's disgusting!!!

Read this story, titled "Demand seen for express buses to Fredericksburg" on the Metro page of today's TD.

Edited by burt

This Elmont switch-over should improve rail traffic in both directions north of Staples Mill Station, but I'm waiting to hear that connection between Acca Yard and the main line to Main Street Station has been completed. In fact, I don't think work has even begun!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice article in last week's City Edition about Richmond's rail history.... it's not online, otherwise I'd link to it.

I read that over the weekend. I was surprised to learn about the triple-crossing's middle line not having enough clearance to let Amtrak double-decker cars through.

• 2 weeks later...

Amtrak is thinking very seriously of cancelling one of two daily trains connecting Washington to Newport News at the end of October. That's very bad news for Newport News, Williamsburg as well as Richmond's struggling Main Street Station.

Perhaps, Guy, Coupe or Tburban will link the story which can be found online on the Home page as well as in the Business section of today's RTD.

Edited by burt