Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

I understand why there are tolls, but to spend $25 million more dollars to efficiently collect more money just sound like RMA is taking Richmonders for a "ride".

But the RMA isn't a for profit entity...though it's run like a business, it's a "political subdivision" of the State. They'd have no reason to give people a ride. Millions were spent investing in the Smart Tag system that collects money more efficiently, and thank God they did that.

I mean obviously I don't like to pay tolls (though I'm not opposed to the idea of user fees because it only "taxes" users and not everyone), but the process should be as painless as possible.

JSI, while I wish that would be the case, it hasn't deterred people from leaving the city for decades.

• 2 weeks later...

If the Southeast High Speed rail service ever gets underway, it would cut rail travel between Richmond and Raleigh to 2:17 hours as oppossed to the current running time (on a good day) of 3:33 hours. (Times quoted are for Staples Mill Station; about 15 minutes could be deducted for those using Main Street Station.) The route would roughly parallel I-85 between Petersburg and Metro Raleigh and speeds would be as high as 110 MPH, averaging about 81 MPH.

There would be 10 sleek tilt-type trains a day between Charlotte and DC - 5 in each direction -- and as I understand it, all but a couple would run express Petersburg/Raleigh, thence via Greensboro to Charlotte. The "locals" would make stops in Henderson, NC and perhaps at a couple of stations between Greensboro/Charlotte. Winston-Salem could possible be an extension for some of the trains.

Edited by burt

Terrific pix, CommRE...expecially the skyline shot.

Do you remember when motorists reported seeing visions of Indian ghosts prior to the road's opening? Perhaps Chief Chickahominy is there to reassure the spirits. :)

This high level crossing of the James south of Richmond will soon have a connector road off of it to Richmond International Airport.

Is it designated Interstate 895 or just State Route 895?

CommRE, I hope you will allow Tommy (TBurban) to add the skyline shot in his Southern Photos of the Day thread. It can be found after the regional listings in USA South Subforums.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't find the article online, but buses could run into Henrico along Mechanicsville and Laburnam to the airport. The Central Gardens route would pass very near my house. Neat to be on two routes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chip Jones has a story today at inRich.com about the Department of Rail and Public Transportation laying off eight of its 37-member staff.

Mixed views from in-the-know observers range from deploring to applauding. Lois Walker, president of Virginians for High Speed Rail, said the action "sends an unfortunate message regarding passenger rail in Virginia."

Wiley Mitchell, a former Norfolk Southern Corp. atorney who chairs (Governor) Kaine's Rail Advisory Board said the restructuring has the potential "to move forward aggressively" on projects to upgrade rail service along the interstates 95 and 81 corridors.

The Huguenot Bridge will be replaced in 2011 in a 2-year project. The new bridge will carry 2 lanes of traffic but will have 10 ft emergency lanes on each side of the traffic lanes.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....05-17-0163.html

At least it will have two 10' "accident" lanes. But it does give one pause that a new bridge expected to carry in excess of 40,000 vehicles daily isn't built with at least two driving lanes in each directions. I suppose it's because the roads on the north side of the river are two-laned and do not intend to be widened ever -- to which, I have to say "hoorah". I'd personally hate to see that beautiful area marred with big wide roads cutting into the neighborhood.

Forgive my ignorance, but where is the Huguenot Bridge? What irks me is that I've probably passed over it before :dontknow:

It's the bridge connecting the area near Country Club of Virginia and River Road Shopping Center (near U of R) to Huguenot Road on the south side of the river. Also known as Rt. 147, Huguenot Road continues south to Chesterfield Towne Center at US 60 (Midlothian Tpk).

Edited by burt