Favorite Central City Parks?

Hybrid0NE

I know that there's not anything as massive as NYC's Central Park in the Southeast but many of our cities do have excellent central parks tucked within the busy urban landscape. So which are your favorites?

I'd have to say Columbia's Finlay Park and Atlanta's Piedmont Park, rank highest in my memory. They both are fairly similiar; located within close proximately of the CBD (or CBD like area in ATL's case), contain numerous viewpoints that have excellent skyline views, abundant supply of water (lakes, streams), walking trails, leisure/picnic areas, venue for many local events and have unique landscape/terrain (a big plus for Finlay Park; goes from flat to semi-rugged as you traverse the park). I also enjoyed Greenville SC's Falls Park (i think it's their central park) and Charlotte's First Ward Park (i could be mistaken on the name of that one).

1995_Piedmont_Park.jpg

piedmont_park.jpg

finlaydtview.jpgfinalyfalls.jpg

fpark1.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that makes a great urban park can only come with age. Piedmont Park in Atlanta is around 100 years old (and has been renovated significantly over the past few years). It has great old trees and historic structures. While Finley Park in Columbia or Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta are great parks, they lack what only age will bring. These newer parks almost feel sterile to me. I think it is the lack of age, especially the big mature trees that come with that.

One thing that makes a great urban park can only come with age. Piedmont Park in Atlanta is around 100 years old (and has been renovated significantly over the past few years). It has great old trees and historic structures . . . These newer parks almost feel sterile to me. I think it is the lack of age, especially the big mature trees that come with that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why I like Centennial Park in Nashville. It was built in 1896-7, so it has more character than some of the others in the area.:)

These newer parks almost feel sterile to me. I think it is the lack of age, especially the big mature trees that come with that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree. don't get me wrong, i love new parks and the fact that they are getting built, but the older ones just have more character to them.

Forysth Park in Savannah would be tops for me. The urban parkscape with the most potential is in downtown Jax. The mile long continuous chain of parks along Hogans Creek, forming the bordor between downtown Jax and Springfield was once one of the greatest parks in the South. Unfortunately, the city has let it go down the tubes and become a haven for bums.

• 3 weeks later...

City Park in New Orleans is roughly twice the size of New York's Central Park, although it's not quite my favorite park in the city. Audubon Park is one of the most serene places around, and Lafayette Square in the heart of the CBD is just beautiful!

In my hometown with the population of about 11,000 in North Carolina, I think that the park there is very unique. It is the second oldest park of it's kind in America, which was laid out around 1760. The name of this park is called the Town Common. I find it unique by it's location which is close to downtown, it's history, size and the way is laid out.

Though it's not built yet, probably my favorite central city park WILL be the Railroad Reservation Park once it's built. As of right now in Birmingham, Linn Park is pretty nice. If they ever build that Westin in Birmingham, part of it will overlook Linn Park, so that will be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Memorial Park in Jacksonville. Amazing setting on the river, in one of the largest historic districts in the south. The miles of riverwalk downtown on the north and south banks is also rather nice.

Atlanta has some nice (if very small) parks. My personal favorite being Peidmont and Centennial Parks. if we can build that Beltline, I'm sure it will be beautiful

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd also like to add Grant Park to that list. It has the Cyclorama and the ATL Zoo.

• 9 months later...

At 1300 acres, City Park in New Orleans is widely recognized as the nation's second largest urban park (after Central Park). The first parcel of land was aquired in 1854, making it one of the country's oldest parks. It is also home to New Orleans Museum of Art and three 18 hole golf courses and Tad Gormley Stadium. Over 900,000 individuals from the metropolitan area visit the park annually accounting for nearly 11 million total visits.

http://www.neworleanscitypark.com/main.php

MapofPark.jpg

Carousel

Carousel_grownups.jpg

New Orleans Museum of Art

NOMA.jpg

Pavillion

Pavilion_ext_night.jpg

Peristyle

Peristyle.jpg

Popp Fountain

Popp1.jpg