Wesley Heights Projects

715nchurch

That site was for 80 years a pentecostal church known as Cannon Cathedral and also Garr Auditorium. The sign atop the building said Jesus Saves and was meant to be seen by airplanes, which flew much closer to the ground in those days. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/47080/west-charlotte-townhome-church/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garr_Auditorium

As an aside the neighboring Fire station #5 has long been branded Fort Apache, and they paint the trucks and station with the name. I know not how that tradition started and it would have been an affront to the neighbors at the time and is even more so today. Surrounded by savages?

I see this was posted in this thread three years ago:

https://savejesussaves.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/garr-church-turns-80-1930-2010/

I worked in this neighborhood  in the 1970's and then built a Habitat house there on Auten Street in 1992. The change has been phenomenal though the pace has been slower than I would prefer.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

As an aside the neighboring Fire station #5 has long been branded Fort Apache, and they paint the trucks and station with the name. I know not how that tradition started and it would have been an affront to the neighbors at the time and is even more so today. Surrounded by savages?

Not named for the people they served but more the type of calls they ran. Shootings in front of the firehouse, heavy fire volume, lots of crime related calls, etc. It was a place at the time that it wasn't very safe even for firemen and women to venture beyond the four walls of the firehouse. 

But yeah most nicknames describe the house/area, FF's or calls they run. Ex: South Charlotte always has a lightning strike fire during bad thunderstorms so local houses have storm related names.  24 is "In the eye of the storm" and 9 is "Storm Troopers". 

Garr Memorial Church moved to 7700 Wallace Road, where the sign still stood in the back of the sanctuary until just a few months ago.  Hendrick Automotive bought the property and will tear down this building.   Garr merged with Mint Hill Community Church and formed Greater Life Church .  They are building the new church in Mint Hill off of Highway 51 and plan on opening being in there after the first of the year.  

As far as I know, the sign will be making the trip to the new location.

26 minutes ago, Hunted said:

I THINK I'm in the right thread for this one. If it's not Wesley Heights, then it's close enough.

this is SoDaSoPa, please put it in the SoDaSoPa thread 

image.thumb.png.afce73e9d65c698b5c5942793b9b02b5.png

Plop in Ally center, a fully built out Legacy Union, a 200' Spectrum on the right side, and Lennar, a fully built out Spirit Square filling the gap on the left, and Uptown is talking serious business.

Archived