Wesley Heights Projects

715nchurch

As a resident of Seversville...this is great news! And to respond to the community center comment, there is Bruns Elementary and Phillip O'Berry community center just down the street...so no need for another community center. Thanks for looking out for us though.

A nice end to a bike ride with the kids. That's a great little greenway and path.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Celadon is looking pretty excellent! If you haven't been over there in a while (or maybe even forgot about this project) time to represent! I hope once they finish this one up, and move on to another similar project quickly.

I snapped a drive by picture today but I haven't uploaded it; maybe later on. But I'd suggest everyone head out there and take a look, you will be surprised.

Celadon is looking pretty excellent! If you haven't been over there in a while (or maybe even forgot about this project) time to represent! I hope once they finish this one up, and move on to another similar project quickly.

I snapped a drive by picture today but I haven't uploaded it; maybe later on. But I'd suggest everyone head out there and take a look, you will be surprised.

Wow I thought this project fell victim to the credit/mortage crunch and disapeered off the planet. Please, please do post the pictures!

Here are some terrible driveby pics. You'll have to go see this in person to appreciate.

I can't seem to get these to post...anyone got any ideas? I'm putting %7Boption%7D tags around the links and getting an error message saying Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed.

http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=celadon3xh2.jpg

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=celadon4en6.jpg

http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=celadon2ll6.jpg

I can't seem to get these to post...anyone got any ideas? I'm putting tags around the links and getting an error message saying Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed.

It's because you are trying to post a dynamic image. 8-) To get the true location of the image right click on it and click "view image" and then copy the link from that page instead.

• 4 months later...

Surprisingly, construction of the infrastructure is well underway for Wesley Village (located at the corner of Freedom and Thrift). They have road graded, major sewer lines in, and even water/sewer lines for several building pads. The project is supposed to be about 500 total unit and I believe its supposed to be a mix of apts and condos. I have a hard time they are going to go vertical with any units, but who knows. I think that location is a little too fringe given the current market conditions.

I also recently drove thour Lela Courts for the first time since build-out. I really don't mind the single-family homes, even though I wouldn't have minded to see a bit more variety in facade materials (meaning more brick), but overall they are attractive. The townhomes are a different story. I wanted to like them, but they just aren't that attractive. They also get a major strike with their perpendicular parking in front.

Also, driving by The Grandin (new condos at Grandin and Morehead), they are looking pretty worn out for only being 4-5 years old.

• 6 months later...

The massive lot next to old Griffin Tire up from the Bojangles on W. Trade has been cleared and 'Historic West End Market' signs have been erected. Looks like the cleaned up site is ready to host a pretty big farmers market. Anyone have additional info such as dates and times?

The massive lot next to old Griffin Tire up from the Bojangles on W. Trade has been cleared and 'Historic West End Market' signs have been erected. Looks like the cleaned up site is ready to host a pretty big farmers market. Anyone have additional info such as dates and times?

In a flier sent to Wesley Heights residents it said that the market would be on Saturdays from 9 until 2. I am really excited about getting this sort of pedestrian activity in this area. Hopefully this will begin to help link and unite the neighborhoods.

Here is the link to the markets website. http://www.historicwestendmarket.com/

In a flier sent to Wesley Heights residents it said that the market would be on Saturdays from 9 until 2. I am really excited about getting this sort of pedestrian activity in this area. Hopefully this will begin to help link and unite the neighborhoods.

Here is the link to the markets website. http://www.historicwestendmarket.com/

Charlotte Area Farmer's Market thread

I am told that there are supposed to be over 30 vendors tomorrow, and steps have been taken to ensure that there is variety among the goods.

Pretty nice. I think there is definitely room for improvement and growth before it really hits its potential, but I was impressed with the variety in the vendors. It was interesting to have an artist with some wonderful sketches and watercolors of city monuments right next to, well, airbrushed on velvet "compositions" of Michael Jackson and Barack Obama (in separate works... didn't see any with both).

Since it runs through November, I foresee some Christmas shopping in that market's future. I think the difference between success and failure for the market may be in letting people know it is there. I was at the Tailgate Market afterward and a couple of the crafts people there didn't even know it existed.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Phase 1 of the Apartments is almost completed.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/787154.html

Is a restaurant named Pinky's going in across the street ?

Pinky's has been moving painfully slow. I've noticed construction dumpsters and the clean out has begun. A temporary power post has been installed so it looks like a go. The apartments are looking really good and the new intersection of Freedom & Tuckaseegee should be opening any day now. This section of West Morehead is slowly moving forward dispite the economy. A new lunch only restaurant named Savor opened a couple of months ago, too. Really good food.

• 1 month later...

Pinky's has been moving painfully slow. I've noticed construction dumpsters and the clean out has begun. A temporary power post has been installed so it looks like a go. The apartments are looking really good and the new intersection of Freedom & Tuckaseegee should be opening any day now. This section of West Morehead is slowly moving forward dispite the economy. A new lunch only restaurant named Savor opened a couple of months ago, too. Really good food.

Ditto on Savor -- I had a really good lunch there a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone have an update on Pinky's? I drove by recently, and didn't see any action at the site.

Anyone know what is going in at the corner of Morehead and Freedom, if anything? Construction crews have been tearing up concrete and cleaning up the inside of the buildings there for a couple weeks now.

Morehead and Freedom - isn't that the location of Pinky's? According to a news story a few weeks ago, they were having code problems with the VW Bug on the roof (reportedly it violates the city's sign ordinance).

Morehead and Freedom - isn't that the location of Pinky's? According to a news story a few weeks ago, they were having code problems with the VW Bug on the roof (reportedly it violates the city's sign ordinance).

The building with the VW Bug is across the intersection from the one I'm talking about. I was referring to the large building near savor. It is a large brick building with a rounded roof and two smaller store fronts attached at the side. They cleaned out the inside of the large building and are doing some interior work in one of the other empty spaces.

This is latest info on the street.

The buildings that are being rehabilitated are being leased out. There was a foundation from on old building which is being dug up and removed so parking can be added. The parking spaces out front are going away and will be turned into outdoor dining. A national chain was looking at one of the spaces. Can't say who until the deal is inked. One of the other spaces will be a hamburger/sports bar kind of place. A theater company will occupy another section and will be bringing in live performance theater. The owners are looking for someone to open a "Common Market" kind of place in there as well. The buildings are actually pretty big and there is space for more restaurants etc. Right now the windows are being replaced and the old roof is being repaired.

Pinky's is still a go and the expect to start construction soon. They lost their battle to keep the VW on the roof. The zoning board of adjustments thought of the VW was a sign and is ordering it removed. I live in Camp Greene and I am sad to see it go. All the surrounding communities and businesses wanted the bug to stay. We lost the JFG sign, Coffee Cup, and now the VW. This section of Morehead was wanting to build on (and loved) our kitschy past but zonings wisdom is determined to make us look sterile. Why must everything be so bland? Anyway, Pinky's has had a tough time getting everything approved but you should see progress soon.

They lost their battle to keep the VW on the roof. The zoning board of adjustments thought of the VW was a sign and is ordering it removed. I live in Camp Greene and I am sad to see it go. All the surrounding communities and businesses wanted the bug to stay.

In all seriousness, what moron at city zoning should be contacted about this. That is just frelling absurd.

Archived