Wesley Heights Projects

715nchurch

that is really too bad about the vw bug. i get really angry about these kinds of decisions, especially when i've just gotten back from a trip to Atlanta or Nashville, places that have kept a lot of original flavor in their cores and benefit so much from it.

still, this stretch of west morehead has shaped up really, really well in a short timespan, and is doing better in keeping some character and grit than a lot of our other neighborhoods. my workplace moved to the neighborhood about 9 months ago and it seems to grow more comfortable and promising every month.

the theater is a great idea...add a couple of bars and a small music venue (even better, a comedy club!) and i could picture a little nightlife node developing here.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great. This would be a short walk for me and a great alternative for when I don't feel like walking down to the bars in center city.

No doubt. I have been living in Wesley Heights for 9 years now and the closest thing we had to nightlife was the Open Kitchen. It has been a rough road. I can't overstate how excited I am to have these activates on the cusp of being opened.

Its ok. Charlotte's world class mantra seems to be to achieve it in the most generic way possible. If its been done elsewhere, we should buy it and put it here. If its old, kitschy, unique, or interesting in any way, shape or form then it must go. Don't worry though, we'll get some sweet buildings for the people driving by on 85 to look at.

Meanwhile, cities like Greenville, SC continue to reinvent their old stuff. Instead of taking the more cost effective route of tearing down the old (and useless) "Hotel Poinsett" sign, they spent the time, effort and money to restore it. Its the little things like this that add to their downtown and make people want to go there. The loss of the VW is not a big deal in terms of the use of the property, but from the concept of creating detail and making Charlotte unique, it is a huge, huge loss. It's truly another sad day for Charlotte.

Tomorrow morning Fox New Rising from 5:30 to 9:30 am will be broadcasting from the corner of W. Morehead and Freedom in the Pinky's parking lot to protest the removal of the VW from the roof. Hopefully this will gain the attention of those with the power to make an exception and allow the VW to stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the community really rallied around "Save the Bug" it looks like this landmark will be saved after all.

The city staff has found a way to rezone the property to allow the VW Bug to remain on the roof as a landmark sign. This involves a complicated web of city policy that will make your eyes glaze over but it will be on the City Council's agenda for tomorrow. I expect them to approve this...poissbly unanimously.

All the details here:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/e6w2knocan3h6lasl5xxfedvv7463tzv7fct7dl3wtrvxfsbnrybj72mbdfawzgsyhdvz5hqjmdlzviqlyrtgdtg7lb/RCA22.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... with the current processes of demolition delayed... what is the whole story here and what of the huge fireplace... any photos?

Inquiring minds want to know....

well... this is interesting...

seems that the Jesus Saves building was itself saved... brick by brick.

Originally The Charlotte Auditorium located at 5th & College. In the 1920's , unable to pay the $ 250,000 asking price, Reverend Alfred Garr , an evangelical healer of tent revival fame, , moved his congregation to buy the demolished building from the demolition company for $2,500.00. Finding the original drawings. they cleaned the bricks and rebuilt the auditorium at it's present site in Wesley Heights .

Interesting reading regarding Faith Healing in Charlotte in the late 1920's and how a very large number of Charlotteans were consumed by it...

http://www.holytrini...ourti18138.html

CP_2002_04_270.jpg

A message from The Wesley Heights Board

http://www.wesleyheightshistoric.com

-

-

A quick update with respect to today's hearing pertaining to the demolition of the Cannon Cathedral:( Garr Auditorium)

This afternoon Code Enforcement voted to order the demolition of 3 of the 4 buildings currently sitting on the parcel at 200 Wesley Heights Way. This order becomes effective immediately barring a successful appeal by the owner's of the property. The owner's of the property and their legal team have 15 days in which to file an appeal with Superior Court.

We are never happy to see a building that has been a part of our community's history fall to the wrecking ball. However, Charlotte Code Enforcement felt compelled to make this decision as the current dilapidated state of these structures presents a variety of safety hazards for our neighbors.

Board Member,

Wesley Heights Community Association

www.neighborhoodlink.com/charlotte/wesleyheights/

Charlotte Code Enforcement and the City in general get too caught up with these asinine rules. What about the historic and architectural value of these buildings to the neighborhood and the city? Why not work with the property owner to either find a way to repair the building or buy it from him. I refuse to believe that a better solution could not be reached. Old buildings DO NOT present a hazard to the general public, but if that is official language from the City (rather than just the Wesley Heights HOA President) then that explains the reason that this city has a complete disregard for anything historic (except in Myers Park/Dilworth).

Charlotte Code Enforcement and the City in general get too caught up with these asinine rules. What about the historic and architectural value of these buildings to the neighborhood and the city? Why not work with the property owner to either find a way to repair the building or buy it from him. I refuse to believe that a better solution could not be reached. Old buildings DO NOT present a hazard to the general public, but if that is official language from the City (rather than just the Wesley Heights HOA President) then that explains the reason that this city has a complete disregard for anything historic (except in Myers Park/Dilworth).

This building is completely rotted inside 3/4 of the roof has colapsed into the structure and there are holes in the 2 levels of floor you can drop a car through. This building needed to be stabilized 20 years ago to make it a building that could have been restored. Don't blame the city blame the owners of the building they have been approached over the years to sell the building to be rehabed but they would not sell, they let it sit there and rot. They were going to tear it down in 2007 and build condo's on the land, look at 2007 or 2008 rezoning to see the plans. I love old building but this one is to far gone.

At this point the building is a safety hazard and last I knew the owners didn't want to sell. They wanted to build condos but then the market tanked. They didn't secure the building and now the roof has collapsed. The building is to far gone for restoration. If there is blame here, it's the investors who didn't care enough to stablilze the structure.

If there is blame here, it's the investors who didn't care enough to stablilze the structure.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe the building ever actually sold. I saw a set of plans come in a couple of years ago, which included tearing down the outbuildings but saving the main structure. It is huge when you consider the basement space. However, the cost of renovatation was far more than the developer expected and over what the market would support at the time. I agree at least the brick facade should be saved, but in this economy doesn't look like its going to happen.

• 1 month later...

I took a drive through the Wesley Village apt complex this AM. Did not realize how large it is. From just a driveby thought the buildings looked pretty nice. And like that there is a footbridge path connecting it to Lela Court. Living there makes sense if you work Uptown and don't care about the very limited immediate options in the surrounding area. Not very long ago the adjacent Wesley Heights and Freedom Dr were total no go zones. So its nice to see regeneration going on. Savor seems to be a hit and if Pinky's or whatever it is opens this year perhaps more local joints will appear.

As an aside, the ads for Wesley Village are so lame. Too many of these complexes just use stock pics of immaculately dressed Barbies and Kens smiling manically while doing yoga. Or drinking wine in the kitchen and hugging or laughing around a bbq grill. Are those activities so exciting to you? Scary Stuff. Even worse is using street shots that are clearly not from Charlotte. Enough already! End Rant tough.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived