715nchurch

Wesley Heights Projects

Cool project, I like the look. I looked up "celadon" on dictionary.com...pale green? I guess that is a reference to it being a green project. I think Knoll 24 is a nicer name, but really like the way this looks.

Celadon is also a type of sage greenish Korean pottery.

Is anything interesting happening on the recently cleared parcel on Thrift Rd and the Stewart Creek greenway? It's a fairly large site though I suspect that much of it might be in the floodplain.

Does anyone know prices on these units yet? They look fairly expensive, but I am definitely diggin' the modern feel to the overall design - this is very similar to Knoll 24 as well. Also, is this the only phase for Celadon, or are there plans for future phases?

Edited by queensguy06

Does anyone know prices on these units yet? They look fairly expensive, but I am definitely diggin' the modern feel to the overall design - this is very similar to Knoll 24 as well. Also, is this the only phase for Celadon, or are there plans for future phases?

This is the whole site and the same site as Knoll 24 -- I think they just changed the name. I do wonder how expensive they'll be, I don't see anything on the site about pricing.

This is the whole site and the same site as Knoll 24 -- I think they just changed the name. I do wonder how expensive they'll be, I don't see anything on the site about pricing.

I am curious about the exact numbers on pricing as well. But, I did get an email from my realtor on this saying "With square footages ranging from approx 930 to 2045 heated square feet and priced from low to mid $200s per square foot" They come standard with some pretty high-end materials, so it seems like they are a good deal compared with some of the other condo projects in the area.

I got an e-mail today about Cannon Village on the old Jesus Saves Temple in Wesley Heights. I have never heard of this and it doesn't look like it is in this thread, unless it is somehwere else. Does anyone know where this is or what kind of development it is. Thanks.

There is currently a rezoning petition filed for it.....I don't remember the details withouth looking at it, but I think it will be townhouses and some stacked condos.....

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../30/story1.html

It looks like the Jesus Saves church might be toast! I know it has come up many times on UP as a building that is cool and could really be something.

That sight will become condos. They will only use a few material components from the structures as part of the new construction. Apparently, it contains beams from Charlotte's first courthouse.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../30/story1.html

It looks like the Jesus Saves church might be toast! I know it has come up many times on UP as a building that is cool and could really be something.

That sight will become condos. They will only use a few material components from the structures as part of the new construction. Apparently, it contains beams from Charlotte's first courthouse.

It is very unfortunate that the building will have to go but the church that is selling it has allowed it to deteriorate over the past few years to a point where it is a brick shell filled with asbestos that is impossible to save.

I'm sure the irony is completely lost on this church. "Jesus Saves, People Destroy".

Many smaller church buildings have played a very good civic role in communities long after they are done being churches. It is ahame that this church is more interested in flipping the land for a buck rather than converting the space into something that can benefit the whole community. What about a community theater or community center or youth center or donate it to Johnson C Smith for lecture space.

It will help the area to have condos, but the fact that a church is tearing down its semi-historic building for condos seems to be a tragedy.

It is a shame that the church could not have been saved and turned into a community resource to bring all the residents together. Wesley Heights is one of the most socioeconomically and racially polarized neighborhoods in the city. I also think that Beazer's Lela Court took a lot of heart and character out of that area. I had a meeting in Lela this week. Many of the houses and townhomes are done and the development is monotonous,overcongested, and detracts from the surrounding historic streets instead of complimenting the neighborhood.

Edited by voyager12

This block also has a firestation, and corner convenience store on it, right? That store is a pretty bad looking spot, any plans for that?

That fire station is nicknamed "Fort Apache" due to all of the violence they see in the area, especially due to the bullet hole they found in their front door.

Can't read the article because it's for paid subscribers only, but this detail:

Apparently, it contains beams from Charlotte's first courthouse.

stands out to me. The first courthouse was, to the best of my knowledge, one of the first permanent structures in the city. It would seem pretty signficant if these beams can be identified and removed before the building is demolished; they'd make a nice centerpiece to the new courthouse or some other public structure.

But really, I'd rather see the whole building saved. There aren't many of its kind left in Charlotte.

Can't read the article because it's for paid subscribers only, but this detail:

stands out to me. The first courthouse was, to the best of my knowledge, one of the first permanent structures in the city. It would seem pretty signficant if these beams can be identified and removed before the building is demolished; they'd make a nice centerpiece to the new courthouse or some other public structure.

But really, I'd rather see the whole building saved. There aren't many of its kind left in Charlotte.

I would think it would have to be another structure cause the next new courthouse is going to be the Federal Courthouse.

I would think the county courthouse could find a visible place to put some kind of display. If done artfully it could be an attraction in its own right, like the sculpture that made so much buzz there when it was first opened.

It is a shame that the church could not have been saved and turned into a community resource to bring all the residents together. Wesley Heights is one of the most socioeconomically and racially polarized neighborhoods in the city. I also think that Beazer's Lela Court took a lot of heart and character out of that area. I had a meeting in Lela this week. Many of the houses and townhomes are done and the development is monotonous,overcongested, and detracts from the surrounding historic streets instead of complimenting the neighborhood.

As a resident of Seversville...this is great news! And to respond to the community center comment, there is Bruns Elementary and Phillip O'Berry community center just down the street...so no need for another community center. Thanks for looking out for us though.