715nchurch

Wesley Heights Projects

As much as I wish the area success, I would love to see the day when a guy like me could walk from Wesley Heights to uptown safely. Hopely with future improvements and growth, this will be possible.

At the risk of wondering OT, what about walking from Wesley Heights to Uptown feels unsafe? I can't speak to 5th St, but Morehead, 4th St and Trade all seem like perfectly decent pedestrian routes. And 4th St makes an excellent bike route into Uptown.

As much as I wish the area success, I would love to see the day when a guy like me could walk from Wesley Heights to uptown safely. Hopely with future improvements and growth, this will be possible.

I work in wesley heights and see people doing this every single day (I'm usually on my bike). I've never seen anything sketchier than the occasional panhandler at the exit ramp. The more desolate stretch of w. morehead isn't the most pleasant walk but it's quite safe, and I also see plenty of people walking the greenway into Frazier park.

Presenting FreeMore Fridays...

Friday after work gets more entertaining this Fall

Congratulations, you have successfully survived another week of the grind.  It’s time to adjust your attitude and kick-start the weekend.  FreeMore Fridays offers you just that... featuring some of Charlotte's greatest bands and plenty of cold beverages. Transition from work to play in a matter of minutes.  Bands start at 5:00 PM and play until 8:00 PM.  Stick around afterwards and grab something to eat at one of FreeMore's great restaurants.  See the restaurant tab for suggestions and the FreeMore Friday Specials.  

Here's your entertainment line-up:

-Friday September 23rd: Hot Sauce

-Friday September 30th: The Swinging Richards

-Friday October 7th: The Boomers

-Friday October 14th: Skate Rink Jukebox

-Friday October 21st: Fire Control

http://www.freemorefridays.com

I work in wesley heights and see people doing this every single day (I'm usually on my bike). I've never seen anything sketchier than the occasional panhandler at the exit ramp. The more desolate stretch of w. morehead isn't the most pleasant walk but it's quite safe, and I also see plenty of people walking the greenway into Frazier park.

I am glad to hear this. As a very young child, I lived on Grandin Road. It was a great area and close in. It changed over the years and now seems to be coming back around. I am glad to hear that. I hope that civic minded people continue to dominate. I also lived on Rozzles Ferry Road as a kid. That is another area that I would love to see as a safe/walkable community for everyone.

I've heard from a resident of Seversville, that at the most recent neighborhood meeting they gave approval for the installation of a light display under the I-77 overpass. I had seen renderings once before a while back and hope this is true!

Picante Mexican Grill looks about ready to open in one of the spaces next to Burger Company, and I have to say, if they're not affiliated with Chipotle, then they've ripped their brand so hard that we can definitely expect a lawsuit and redesign. The logo is identical (with 3 peppers instead of 1), and the interior even has that same corrugated metal aesthetic. Weird.

Anyway legalities aside I'm sure a place like that will do well in the neighborhood. On Friday at lunch, both Savor and Pinky's had 30+ minute waits, and Burger Company only had 2 or 3 open tables. We can definitely support another restaurant or two.

I've also noticed that it looks like they're preparing to do sidewalk widening on the stretch of West Morehead along the former Beazer site. Land has been flattened next to the sidewalk and all the brush on those blocks cleared. I doubt this means any kind of project is imminent, but its good that some attention is going to get paid to the area in the meantime.

I've also noticed that it looks like they're preparing to do sidewalk widening on the stretch of West Morehead along the former Beazer site. Land has been flattened next to the sidewalk and all the brush on those blocks cleared. I doubt this means any kind of project is imminent, but its good that some attention is going to get paid to the area in the meantime.

I know there was some discussion a few weeks ago (in the Charlotte Biz Journal I believe), that the Panthers may be talking to the owners of this site about allowing parking for gameday. Wonder if this sidewalk project has anything to do with it?

Taste of FreeMore

The 2nd Annual Taste of FreeMore will be held on October 5, 2013 from 4:00-8:00 p.m.  This event is FREE and will offer live music, food from neighborhood restaurants, local brews and is open to the public. Great event for the whole family!

We are proud to announce the addition of the 1st Annual Donut Eating Contest sponsored by new FMW resident Dunkin' Donuts.  The 2nd Annual Taste of FreeMore will be held on October 5, 2013 from 4:00-8:00 p.m.  This event is FREE and will offer live music, food from neighborhood restaurants, local brews and is open to the public. Great event for the whole family!

Food may only be purchased through the use of tickets, and tickets will be $1 each.  Food prices range in cost from 1 ticket to 5 tickets ($1-$5). Beer will be sold by the individual breweries for cash only. Bring your ID!

http://www.freemorewest.com/events/17/Taste-of-FreeMore

Edited by WesleyHeightsWay

I don't mean to be negative but how did a chunk of thirdward become part of this new neighborhood overlay?  It seems to just confuse the matter, the ward is a distinct neighborhood and shouldn't be partially disconnected from itself by FreeMore West.  It suggests that the western part of the neighborhood is not uptown.  Or it is uptown and FreeMore?  Just confusing.

That said, I did go to the 'taste of' last year and recommend it. :thumbsup:

Based upon the map posted on FreeMore West's website a portion of the Third Ward is part of the relatively new overlay.  I mean overlay in the sense that it's encompassing several well established neighborhoods... I guess in the sense that Wilmore is now part of the South End.  I'm questinging the logic behind the defined borders of FreeMore West.  Why half of Third Ward?

img_boundaries.jpg

Why half of Third Ward?

Most of that is on the other side of the rail road tracks and does not have good connections with uptown.  It's not very connected to the rest of "FreeMore" either, but its a bit better than uptown.

I disagree about the connections to uptown.  Driving and especially walking toward Tryon is much easier than going toward Freedom & Morehead.

I disagree about the connections to uptown.  Driving and especially walking toward Tryon is much easier than going toward Freedom & Morehead.

Without a doubt. The marketing push for "Freemore West" is pretty lame I think and waaay too early. The event is good and all, but this area (I work here) needs to develop naturally a little longer before anyone's guess is better than anyone else's at drawing boundaries. 

Talk of two (!) apartment buildings being built along W Morehead. One in the Burger Company parking lot, the other across Walnut where the Pterodactyl use to be.

Anyone heard any details on these?

We did hear that the developer is same one doing the Mercury in NoDa. Don't know enough to know of this is good or bad.

But, there isn't any retail planned for either building which is a major disapointment.

We did hear that the developer is same one doing the Mercury in NoDa. Don't know enough to know of this is good or bad.

But, there isn't any retail planned for either building which is a major disapointment.

That's a shame, but it is still nice to see that area getting a little attention now. There are still some good opportunities for retail available in that corridor through rehab of existing buildings.