Wesley Heights Projects

File under "about damn time" (we have been talking about this for years here):

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/05/5152350/trolley-car-85-may-turn-on-its.html#.VAoqjWMuEyk

A nonprofit group of trolley lovers called Lakewood Trolley Inc. is working to get the car placed permanently on an abandoned piece of former streetcar track. They plan to run it from Cedar Street in uptown’s Third Ward 2 miles northwest to the 29-acre Martin Luther King Jr. Park in what some residents are beginning to brand as the Historic West End community. It would run along the county-owned Stewart Creek Greenway.

Lakewood Trolley has permission to use the tracks. This is a great route, it really has the potential to transform the area just beyond Wesley Heights. I can even envision real revenue service on Panther's home game days.

Estimates are $2 million to $3 million, said Greg Pappanastos, president of Argos Real Estate Advisors who chairs the Lakewood Trolley board.

Two years ago, his company bought a century-old mill and Pappanostas offered a portion of the mill to store the trolley car and create a streetcar museum. The rest will be developed by Argos. The trolley idea came first, then he found the mill, he said.

Edited by kermit

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

more refinery 

Guess this is the best topic for these.  Has anyone been keeping tabs on the Refinery?  It's starting to take shape.

Wesley Heights coming along. As long as they don’t tear down the Coca-Cola building I. This neighborhood, then build away! 

Posted Images

I truly think that this could help transform that area of Charlotte. Johnson C. Smith must be enthusiastic that it's campus might get two streetcar lines passing nearby.

Though, this makes me think about the possibility of linking this line with the Gold Line, via Cedar. If I recall correctly, the proposed streetcar line to the airport was supposed to run on Cedar to Morehead.

Latest Wesley Heights rumor...The Common Market is opening another location in the Burger Company building, on the side next to the Buddhist center.

The CBJ had an article on this today (can't find it though). Sounds like upfitting of the building has begun.

^ You are right, that is pretty cool. But for the comparison to work the streetcar would need to be connected to the rest of the system (which I would REALLY like to see eventually)

I would like to see it so bad that I'll write a check and pick up a shovel to help extend the tracks through the existing underpass and up to Graham st and Gateway. I'll even haul 80lb bags of concrete from the HDepot in the back of my pickup.

• Like 1

The CBJ had an article on this today (can't find it though). Sounds like upfitting of the building has begun.

Good News for FreeMoreWest -- The minds behind the Common Market are opening a new store to be named Rhino Market & Deli.  Here's the scoop taken from the FreeMoreWest Newsletter: 

"Rob Rondolez, the manager of Common Market SouthEnd is excited to announce to FreeMoreWest that he will be opening a new market called Rhino Market & Deli in The Browder Group’s Morehead Corners at 1500 West Morehead, behind The Burger Company and Picante in between the Buddhist Center and Charlotte Fencing Academy.

“My vision is to create a place that brings together the communities of Camp Greene, Wesley Heights and Bryant Park and offers them a place to gather for breakfast, coffee, lunch or drinks,” commented Rob Rondolez, operating owner of Rhino Market & Deli. 

With the store being 2,700 square feet (similar size as Common Market SouthEnd) the store will have room to offer all the things you love about Common Markets- a full service deli, breakfast and coffee, wine, beer and other convenience items.  He told us he plans to offer small events and live entertainment such as bands or DJs along with wine tastings, etc. There will be “plenty” of outdoor seating for relaxing with your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors. He would also like to offer a place for local farmers to set up stands out front.

“There’s so much happening in the [FreeMoreWest] area, I was immediately attracted to the location,” added Rob.

Rhino Market & Deli has been looking at Wesley Heights for a whole year and will start the interior upfit this week. Depending on permitting, he hopes to open the store in November (so we'll just count on December). Stay tuned for announcements about Grand Opening events!"

Good News for FreeMoreWest -- The minds behind the Common Market are opening a new store to be named Rhino Market & Deli.  Here's the scoop taken from the FreeMoreWest Newsletter: 

"Rob Rondolez, the manager of Common Market SouthEnd is excited to announce to FreeMoreWest that he will be opening a new market called Rhino Market & Deli in The Browder Group’s Morehead Corners at 1500 West Morehead, behind The Burger Company and Picante in between the Buddhist Center and Charlotte Fencing Academy.

“My vision is to create a place that brings together the communities of Camp Greene, Wesley Heights and Bryant Park and offers them a place to gather for breakfast, coffee, lunch or drinks,” commented Rob Rondolez, operating owner of Rhino Market & Deli. 

With the store being 2,700 square feet (similar size as Common Market SouthEnd) the store will have room to offer all the things you love about Common Markets- a full service deli, breakfast and coffee, wine, beer and other convenience items.  He told us he plans to offer small events and live entertainment such as bands or DJs along with wine tastings, etc. There will be “plenty” of outdoor seating for relaxing with your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors. He would also like to offer a place for local farmers to set up stands out front.

“There’s so much happening in the [FreeMoreWest] area, I was immediately attracted to the location,” added Rob.

Rhino Market & Deli has been looking at Wesley Heights for a whole year and will start the interior upfit this week. Depending on permitting, he hopes to open the store in November (so we'll just count on December). Stay tuned for announcements about Grand Opening events!"

This was already posted

^ You are right, that is pretty cool. But for the comparison to work the streetcar would need to be connected to the rest of the system (which I would REALLY like to see eventually)

I would like to see it so bad that I'll write a check and pick up a shovel to help extend the tracks through the existing underpass and up to Graham st and Gateway. I'll even haul 80lb bags of concrete from the HDepot in the back of my pickup.

Me too, I want to see it developed.  I have walked every inch of those abandoned tracks from Cedar to MLK Park and it pains me to know that an electric trolley line once existed along that route during the old P&N days.  

I'll happily carry the 80lb concret bags from HDepot! 

The line is abandoned from Pincoca Yard to Cedar Street.  Does anyone know the zoning around the abandoned line?  I know that CSX owns some of it and NCDOT bought the 3rd ward section in the 90's if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by ChessieCat

• 2 months later...

Yeah, the county has budgeted for a new paved trail on this corridor which will retain the possibility of reactivating the tracks.  

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Greenways/PlannedGreenways/Pages/WesleyHeightsGreenway.aspx

http://www.ncdot.gov/board/bot/current/201410_project_list.pdf

The public money is more about the trail paving than the reactivating the rail corridor for the Lakewood trolley, but at least it is directionally supportive of it. 

• 1 month later...

There was a rezoning out for it last year.  Hopper Communities is the listed developer, but they are more of a site-prep firm.  Looks like they typically sell to national builders Ryan, Pulte, and David Weekly.

I believe it's in the Wesley Heights historic district which means there will be design/material standards.  So far, they haven't submitted an application the the historic committee.

There's a good bit of activity over there that tends to fly under the radar. As noted above, there's 708 Summit (35 units), Morehead West Apartments off of Millerton (270 units), Freedom Heights Apartments between Walnut & Woodruff, which should break ground very soon (77 units) and the proposed apartmetns at Morehead and Summit (326 units). I believe there's also an additional Phase II parcel at Wesley Village although I'm not sure how many units can fit or whether there are any plans to add units. 

There's a good bit of activity over there that tends to fly under the radar. As noted above, there's 708 Summit (35 units), Morehead West Apartments off of Millerton (270 units), Freedom Heights Apartments between Walnut & Woodruff, which should break ground very soon (77 units) and the proposed apartmetns at Morehead and Summit (326 units). I believe there's also an additional Phase II parcel at Wesley Village although I'm not sure how many units can fit or whether there are any plans to add units. 

I didn't even know about Freedom Heights Apartments. Looks pretty good.

Morehead-Freedom-Apartments-SD-Package9-

http://www.dpjresidential.com/freedom-heights-apartments/

Just discovered this - haven't heard any discussion on this.  Seems interesting.

Project description in Accella:

601 Calvert
• Detailed Scope of Work: We are renovating an old metal building and turning it into an urban chic Culinary Community & Catering Center. 601 Calvert will become a staple in the Freemore West Community allowing access to a unique variety of exclusive services currently not offered in the community. Freemore West’s Premier Culinary Company will offer services to include high end express café, local delivery, culinary cooking classes, chef’s tastings, private fine dining, team meetings and more. We look forward to becoming a staple in this up and coming Charlottean Community.