Sounds like NC will have a lottery by year end!

CLTfanatic

I just read that the house approved the lottery, so we may have the lottry by year end. I deffinately beleive this is a good thing. Now we wont have people from NC supporting the education systems of SC and VA. I go to school in SC and I know countless people who have received a scholorship from the SC lottery.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you figure its like a tax? no one is forcing them to put 10 bucks a week down on lotto tickets? Not to mention their kids could be the next ones to receive a scholorship to a school they may otherwise not be able to afford.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tough call on my end. Being a "small-'l'" libertarian, I tend to favor any form of voluntary taxation over conulsory, so lotteries don't really bother me. It's true, however, that seeing it as a tax means seeing it as a regressive one.

Stats show that the poor are overwhelmingly more likely to buy lottery tix. Anyone with an agenda can analyze this stat til they are blue in the face and it won't convince those with opposing agendas. My own opinion is that the poor have not had enough money at any one time to be exposed to better investment schemes such as shares, bonds, etc.

In the end, I would rather the lottery funds go to something other than education. I won't be having kids, so my public service priorities are elsewhere.

MM

I don't know how anyone can call it a "tax on the poor." My family plays the lotto, and so do my grandparents, and none of us are poor. I don't care what the stats say, I know a lot of wealthy people who play the lotto, and I heard in the news (I forget which state) that a mutli-millionaire recently won the lotto. Saying its a tax on the poor is like saying we should ban alcohol from being sold because alcohol is a "tax on the poor." A lot of middle to upper-middle class people play the lottery too...

If you care about the poor so much, then why don't you give them some money? Maybe instead of buying food they will buy alcohol and drugs, but I guess thats ok... :rolleyes:

while I would not play the lottery, I do believe that stats about the majority of lotto players being poor, I really do hate things that have the illusion of getting rich. Look at the stats on how lotto winners spend their earnings, they have no idea what to do with their new found money. Well, that was quite incoherent. :D

If you care about the poor so much, then why don't you give them some money? Maybe instead of buying food they will buy alcohol and drugs, but I guess thats ok...  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Affirmative. I was not saying that I think those who play the lottery should in any way be artificially protected from their own poor money management. I was more indicating that, nationwide at least, those who play lottery most are also those who can afford to burn cash the least...

I think I also affirmed that my objection to the lottery is purely selfish: I'm never going to see those educational dollars since I don't/won't have any kids to send off to the schools paid for by the lottery...

MM

People should take personal responsibility when playing the lottery. Its no different than drinking, smoking or even eating fast food. It is terrible that all of the neighboring states have lotteries and we fund their education or whatever else their lottery goes to. Nothing against the neighboring states of TN, GA, SC and VA :D

Murderingmouth, I wasn't really replying to anyone, just making a general post because most people around there consider it a "tax on the poor" which I think is a ridiculous statement. I don't really see the big deal - it brings in extra money that NC desperately needs, and NC seems like a really cash-strapped state. If you don't like it, don't play it - pretty simple really.

It's about freaking time NC gets a lottery. I hope it happens. Our schools could surely use some extra cash.

Also, re: as far as the lottery being considered a tax on the poor, that is ridiculous. There are plenty of people from all walks of life who buy lottery tickets. My Girlfriend's mom lives in Charlotte and drives down to South Carolina to buy lottery tickets religiously and she's a lawyer and she's married to a doctor. They aren't hurting for money in the slightest. Noone is forced to play the lottery.

I hope we don't get a lottery. I think of it this way - If the great minds in Raleighwood can't manage the money they have well enough now then how will giving them more solve the problem.

In states with the lottery don't they usually find that appropriation from the general revenue streams goes down because lawmakers think they no longer have to worry about education funding?

I say raise taxes on everyone. I think it is all of our responsibilty.

Also, and probably most importantly, why should the state encourage people to gamble? Why not start a state run brothel? What is the real difference between the two.

(and no, I do not think nc should be selling liquor, let the grocery stores or convenience stores sell it)

Archived