Michigan Off Topic

Allan

This is a section where we can discuss anything concerning Michigan that would not warrant a thread of its own, or something to do with the state that would not otherwise be posted on this site. Please feel free to contribute as much as you like. My only request is that you don't post entire articles from newspapers or other sources in this thread. A link would be much better.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aight everyone since Allan will be gone in Grand Rapids, I'm in charge of this thread for the next few days. Our first topic in this thread will be, "Get to know the other forumers." I think it would be nice to introduce ourselves and show the faces behind the member names. Feel free to post a few pictures of yourself if you feel like it.

So I'll be the first to start.

My real name is Ian, and I'm 20 years old. I was born and raised in Saginaw, MI but now live in Ann Arbor andI'm an architecture student at the University of Michigan. I like large cities and enjoy taking photos of them, but I think you already knew that. So, my other interests other sports (especially football and basketball), music (especially QUALITY rap, hip hop, and R&B), and finally, women. But because I'm an architecture student, and dwell in the studio, I don't get out as much as I used to, and I think I'm restricted to dating within the school. But when I do get the time, I like to party and just have a good time.

I would post my picture, but I need to find one that is good. So check back soon.

Now you all!

I guess I get to go next, since nobody else seems to want to participate in this thread.

I was born in Flint and grew up in the suburb of Grand Blanc, about 15 miles south of the city. I am now living in Southfield and going to school at Lawrence Tech, where I am majoring in architecture. My life is pretty much occupied with architecture studio classes, although when I'm not in the studio, you can usually find me out walking the streets of Detroit, camera in hand. I do enjoy going out with friends and partying, but that doesn't happen much these days.

I'll jump in next I guess. lol

My real name is Randy. Like most people in the area, I was born in Flint (Hurley) and live in Flushing. In about a week I'll have sophomore standing at the U of M - Flint, where I'm working for a degree in Political Science and a minor in Business. I still have a long way to go for both, considering I just decided to take on the minor and won't be able to take my first business classes until Winter (have to finish all the prereqs first). The main focus of my PoliSci degree is international relations, so when everthing is said and done with U of M, I'll hopefully be living overseas as a diplomat.

My interests are tennis (which I try to play whenever I get the chance, and that's rarely unfortunately), music (listening to it, and playing it), reading, and politics of course.

Hello Fellow Michiganders,

Here's an interesting book that I thought I would share. The name of the book is called a Curious Glimpse of Michigan, and it was written by a few of my friends, and my wife contributed one of the poems. It's a great book for children who are interested in learning more about Michigan: our 'curious' state of the union.

A Curious Glimpse of Michigan

• 2 weeks later...

First post on urbanplanet ...

My name is Donald, I was born in Cleveland, grew up in Midland, graduated from MSU (many years ago), have spent most of my adult life in California, and currently live outside Memphis, TN.

I found this site through a link from the Detroityes! forum ...

I'm looking forward to getting to know all you like minded urban geeks like me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that it's mentioned, where does Lansing fit in?  It's not exactly Mid-Michigan, because that's the Tri-Cities + Flint region.  But then again, it's only an hour away from Flint.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've lived in Lansing my entire life, and we've always thought of ourselves as mid-michigan...I just point to the middle of my hand each time I'm asked where I live. Come to think of it, the hand might actually make thinks more difficult to describe locations, considering the southern part of the state is so dense.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an avid sports fan, and watch ESPN's SportsCenter daily. they are doing a "50 in 50" segment, where they visit 50 states in 50 days. I missed one day, and of course it was Michigan! Did anyone see it? What great michigan sports memories did they discuss? Just curious if anyone saw it, what you think.

I saw it. I liked it, but I wish they showed more Detroit memories. It seemed as if it was the shortest segment so far. They did a story about some high school baseball team that went 75-1 losing the championship. And they showed some of the stars from Michigan and of course the "Did You Knows?" Like Detroit was the first city in the Midwest. (founded in 1701) Happy to Help with your questions!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm curious to know what percent of michigan's population lives south of Midland. With the exception of a few towns with a few thousand people (i.e. Cadillac, Alpena, Escanaba, Marquette) It seems to me that upwards of 70% or so of the population must be concentrated in the bottom 1/2 of the state.

I can think of several major impacts that this could have on the state's economy:

1.) Lack of spread population throughout such a large state means spending/reinvestment is centered in isolated areas and leaves out many smaller dwellings.

2.) As larger metro areas are confined to the southern portion of the state, urban sprawl becomes popular because new communities are convenient to multiple city centers (i.e.Brighton to Lansing & Detroit).

There are a few other points, but I cant seem to pull them out of my mind...first day back at work in 2 weeks.

I'm curious what others think about this. My father and I debated this issue for about 1.5 hours last night, and I figured I'd come to rally support from you guys!

did a study on regional voting records in Michigan last semester. as of 2004 estimates, 316,000 live in the UP. about 745,000 upstate, and a little over nine Million in southern Lower Michigan From Detroit to Holland, and Mt. Pleasant to Cold water.

Edit, Although more than Six Million people live from Midland south. In, and east of the I-75 corridor. 4.5 million people live in the three main counties of Metro Detroit which is Tantamount to a little under 2000 sq. mi. Those three counties alone would make it the 22cd largest state in terms of population.

• 5 weeks later...

More news from around Michigan:

An anticipated catalyst in downtown Jackson's west-end rebirth is down to a pen stroke.

Jackson Citizen Patriot article: http://www.mlive.com/news/jacitpat/index.s...1260.xml&coll=3

One deal to purchase and reopen the Menasha Corp. plant in Otsego is dead, but Menasha officials say they are talking to another potential buyer and that they "are very, very hopeful'' that a sale can be completed by the end of the year.

Kalamazoo Gazette article: http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index....9181.xml&coll=7

Archived