Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobliocatt

DDA May Become Committe

5 posts in this topic

By Melissa Ross

First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- First Coast News has learned Mayor Peyton is considering changing the status of the Downtown Development Authority, as a way to "streamline the process" by which the city attracts new business.

"The scenario being considered would move the DDA from an authority to a committee," says spokeswoman Susie Wiles. She adds, the DDA would continue to exist as an arm of the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission.

Council President Elaine Brown says it's important to make it easier, not harder, for companies looking to set up shop downtown. "That's always the complaint, that they have to jump through so many hoops," she said. She adds, the city has hopes of luring mega-store Tower Records and also a Borders Books to downtown.

Currently a company hoping to do business with the city must pass several gatekeepers; first the DDA, then the JEDC, then City Council, and ultimately the mayor's office.

The DDA has seven board members. Peyton, already working to streamline the JEDC, has not specified if cuts would be made to the DDA as well.

First Coast News

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/n...x?storyid=35169

. She adds, the city has hopes of luring mega-store Tower Records and also a Borders Books to downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has any one heard any evidence of either of these stores wanting to locate downtown? This would be great, but do you think it is just wishful thinking?

I agree, Tower seems to be quite a stretch...but I was really hoping

I could see a two-story Borders in the "new" Landing, if that ever gets built the way Sleiman wants it. Right now, Pecan Park Flea Market is a better location than the dinky old Landing, lol.

But at least they want good retail downtown.