Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoogit

Looking ahead to 2006

23 posts in this topic

Most notably looking at the governor's race.

Personally, I just don't see any real good challengers to the elected officials we are going to vote for in 2006. Sure Granholm is vulnerable, but realistically is there a strong canidate to oust her? I'm hoping there isn't mostly because I think shes on the right track, but is being pestered by the GOP controlled state congress who still have a hardon for the days when Engler ran the state for 12 years. (Which to me was the biggest mistake ever, its just that no real Democrat challengers arose to unseat him.)

I am more afraid we will vote in a real stinker like Mike Cox, or Rich Devos (both have been mentioned as GOP canidates, and both IMO teeter on the edge of fundamentalism, something the GOP has been reeking of lately.)

Personally, I'd like to see Granholm stay, and some of the GOP whiners booted out of congress.

Granholm's tenure has been largely mediocre. Sure, the manufacturing industry and State Congress seem to have pitted themselves against her, but I haven't seen her work too hard to either diversify the economy nor compensate with the political rivals. Wall Street took a big swing at her tax plan recently:

Michigan is for Taxes

I'd like to see her go, but I'm not too impressed with anything the GOP's put together so far either. Unless they pull something else out of their sleave, Granholm will take the next election.

Granholm's tenure has been largely mediocre.  Sure, the manufacturing industry and State Congress seem to have pitted themselves against her, but I haven't seen her work too hard to either diversify the economy nor compensate with the political rivals.  Wall Street took a big swing at her tax plan recently:

Michigan is for Taxes

I'd like to see her go, but I'm not too impressed with anything the GOP's put together so far either.  Unless they pull something else out of their sleave, Granholm will take the next election.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im stilll thinking the reason we as a state arent diversifying economically has nothing to do with the governor, and the blame should be put squarely on a non cooperating congress../

Granholm inherited major economic problems that became deeply rooted during Engler's term in office. She's doing her best to help out the economy, but it's still going to be years down the road before we see economic progress. Granholm needs to fix Engler's screw-ups before she can move on. ;)

Granholm inherited major economic problems that became deeply rooted during Engler's term in office.  She's doing her best to help out the economy, but it's still going to be years down the road before we see economic progress.  Granholm needs to fix Engler's screw-ups before she can move on. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXACTLY but shes got a congress not willing to fix what engler did to the economic system

Thinking of what happened recently in Illinois with their governor ordering an emergency statute on the moral pharmacist issue, I wonder if there's anything in the Michigan state constitution that would allow Granholm to do the same thing for her economic policies?

Thinking of what happened recently in Illinois with their governor ordering an emergency statute on the moral pharmacist issue, I wonder if there's anything in the Michigan state constitution that would allow Granholm to do the same thing for her economic policies?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shes pretty much handcuffed to the congress here.

All of Granholm's reforms have been hamstrung by Ken Sikkema. All of her problems were created by John Engler. None of her challengers offer anything more than continued and systematic looting of cities and municipalities - the "libertarian" bottom line which has helped make Michigan the brain drain capital of the country.

Ouch! That WSJ article hurt! I feel like I fell asleep and woke up in the 80's again! What happened to the Michigan that led the nation in just about every growth category throughout the 90's. You can only blame your predecessor for so long, then it is time to do your job. If you were a CEO (or school principal) and hired a department manager, and that department started to fall apart, you would only take excuses for so long. Blaming the other team for all of your inadequacies may fly in an on-line forum, but not in the real world. It is time for some leadership and vision, for all of our sakes, to make Michigan the best place to live, work and play again!

I'm with ya GR dad. I definitely say let's move on from the past - as long as we don't forget the legacy of the past in the meanwhile. It is time for Granholm to learn how to maneuver, to work for the state, instead of simply confront and face off with the state government. It is an unfortunate failure of hers that she has not turned the trimming of state budgets into a cooperation issue. As for ideas like the governor's "Jobs Today, Jobs Tomorrow" initiative, which proposes a bond to finance investment in high-tech industry, educational training, and public works, I believe the elected officials should see progress when it lands on their doorstep. The Jobs Today / Tomorrow initiative in particular would provide a unique opportunity for securities buyers, the private sector, to invest in the long-term economic well-being and dynamic future of the state, as well as in the solvency of our public sector. Meanwhile Ken Sikkema and others have balked at the plan, somehow opposing it on the grounds of free-market economics. The plan itself would actually, under the terms of repayment, inject money into the free market. Most importantly, however, it would use capital from the sale of the bonds to direct growth in the state toward 21st century economic powerhouse sectors. This would in turn spur greater growth through natural multiplier effects. The bond would make Michigan's workforce well-trained and competitive, and offer real incentives for development which would help the state compete with the rest of the world. That Sikkema and De Roche would oppose an initiative like this is evidence that politics are log-rolling the state into its grave. That is no fault of Ms. Granholm's, although I wish she would find a way to pitch the initiative and get awareness out there to representatives' and senators' constituencies.

All the same, an online forum and real life are two different things to be sure.

It's definitely our real civic responsibility to use our ideas to get the state back on its feet again. If not us, then who? Michigan never goes quietly.

Ouch!

I'm with ya GR dad. I definitely say let's move on from the past - as long as we don't forget the legacy of the past in the meanwhile. It is time for Granholm to learn how to maneuver, to work for the state, instead of simply confront and face off with the state government. It is an unfortunate failure of hers that she has not turned the trimming of state budgets into a cooperation issue. As for ideas like the governor's "Jobs Today, Jobs Tomorrow" initiative, which proposes a bond to finance investment in high-tech industry, educational training, and public works, I believe the elected officials  should see progress when it lands on their doorstep. The Jobs Today / Tomorrow initiative in particular would provide a unique opportunity for securities buyers, the private sector, to invest in the long-term economic well-being and dynamic future of the state, as well as in the solvency of our public sector. Meanwhile Ken Sikkema and others have balked at the plan, somehow opposing it on the grounds of free-market economics. The plan itself would actually, under the terms of repayment, inject money into the free market. Most importantly, however, it would use capital from the sale of the bonds to direct growth in the state toward 21st century economic powerhouse sectors. This would in turn spur greater growth through natural multiplier effects. The bond would make Michigan's workforce well-trained and competitive, and offer real incentives for development which would help the state compete with the rest of the world. That Sikkema and De Roche would oppose an initiative like this is evidence that politics are log-rolling the state into its grave. That is no fault of Ms. Granholm's, although I wish she would find a way to pitch the initiative and get awareness out there to representatives' and senators' constituencies.

All the same, an online forum and real life are two different things to be sure.

It's definitely our real civic responsibility to use our ideas to get the state back on its feet again. If not us, then who? Michigan never goes quietly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well then you replace Ken Sikkema, not Jennifer Granholm

Like Ive said, shes got some awesome ideas, but an unwilling congress

Tell me what you all think, are the odds of Dick Devos, actually becoming governor of this state? I think he is far to devisive, on many issues. I think the moderate republican wing on the eastern side of this state will never let that happen. Not to mention, the somewhat still powerful labor vote. Maybe if this were Utah, but it's not, I just think he's to far to the right to really have a chance.

hmm, it will be interesting. i think if granholm does lose its more of what is happening to kilpatrick in detroit in that a vote for devos is a vote against granholm.

leading the country in unemployment is a tough burden to carry during election time and i think that will make the election close.

devos, will of course win the west side with no problem, and it will come down to how many people on the east side vote with unemployment on their minds rather then truly getting into the facts that this election will bring.

Don't you think though, that being a staunch christian fundamentalist, will polarize him from the states powerul morderate republican wing?

my prediction, he doesn't make it past the primaries.

Don't you think though, that being a staunch christian fundamentalist, will polarize him from the states powerul morderate republican wing?

my prediction, he doesn't make it past the primaries.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People I have talked to don't plan on voting for Devos if he makes it out of the primaries. His family is associated with some of the most prolific philanthropy in the Grand Rapids Area, but its also associated with one of the biggest scams in the nation (Amway)

Looks like everyone just pulled out.

in all honesty the GOP doesnt seem to want to win this election. The person they put up to run for Senator doesn't look like much of a challenge either. His name is Ken Baker I think, and hes from the Eastern Michigan GOP.

on that note I see Jeffery(sp?) Feiger is running for Attorney General now. This might be a case where he could win. Since it seems all Mike Cox is doing is trying to spend state money on his own personal agenda. The AG should be a very interesting race to watch.

while i can say i'm rather uninformed when it comes to the state attorney general, I'd be suprised if Jeffry Fieger could win an election,

he's a very polarizing figure himself.

Michigan's problem is that we put too much of our eggs in one basket, the automotive industry. As gas prices have risen and expensive labor has pushed jobs overseas, the effect has been pretty apparent. I do have my own personal political opinions but no matter who gets elected this has to be dealt with.

to update this, two recent polls show the devos/granholm holding even. honestly im surprised to see it get this close

to update this, two recent polls show the devos/granholm holding even. honestly im surprised to see it get this close

I think Epic/MRA had it 51/36 still. Devos needed to get that up to around 51/41 to have a decent shot at winning the election.

Devos needs to penetrate the vast Libertarian wing of the east side that will decide this election. He can have every voter from Lansing west and north. But it will mean nothing if he can't garner votes from the powerful I-75 corridor, that's where elections are decided in this state.

Looks like everyone just pulled out.

in all honesty the GOP doesnt seem to want to win this election. The person they put up to run for Senator doesn't look like much of a challenge either. His name is Ken Baker I think, and hes from the Eastern Michigan GOP.

on that note I see Jeffery(sp?) Feiger is running for Attorney General now. This might be a case where he could win. Since it seems all Mike Cox is doing is trying to spend state money on his own personal agenda. The AG should be a very interesting race to watch.

Actually there are 3 guys in the running for the GOP nod. And I think DeVos is going to make it thru the primaries since the party pretty much decided he was their guy about 6 months ago...

And the guy is not Ken Baker, it's Keith Butler.

Devos needs to penetrate the vast Libertarian wing of the east side that will decide this election. He can have every voter from Lansing west and north. But it will mean nothing if he can't garner votes from the powerful I-75 corridor, that's where elections are decided in this state.

Well from what I can tell she's pretty much hated by everyone in the Saginaw/Bay City area.