Virginia Zoo

rusthebuss

I don't know much about that area but isn't Park Place an area where they tore down gov't housing or the like?

I don't think there was projects in Park Place just old city style house in their with some really old apts mixed in. I have a co worker that lives off of W 31st street. LOL He is the only white guy within blocks and has lived there for 15 years now. They thought he was undercover for months when he first moved in there! :rofl: He can reach out and touch the next house through a window just to give you an idea how close the houses are and were built in the teens or the 20's.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there was projects in Park Place just old city style house in their with some really old apts mixed in. I have a co worker that lives off of W 31st street. LOL He is the only white guy within blocks and has lived there for 15 years now. They thought he was undercover for months when he first moved in there! :rofl: He can reach out and touch the next house through a window just to give you an idea how close the houses are and were built in the teens or the 20's.

Yeah, there arent any PJ's in Park Place. All the PJ's Are around Brambelton ave, south church st, and tidewater dr. Even though northern church st. leads right to park place.

Not to take anything away from PP, cause thier "Hood" is just as bad.

Its gonna be tough to change that area. With all those PJ's coming down around the tidewater dr area and the park place ressurection, where are all those people gonna live? They have to go somewhere. Its actually pretty sad.

I wish Norfolk would offer a zoological park, like in DC, so that people can appreciate the zoo for free. It is so cool to just walk in the Smithsonian Zoo, which is huge, for free! It is a top notch zoo and free. How so?

The reason the National Zoo is free is because it is part of the Smithsonian. I think that Norfolk supplies most of the public funding for the Virginia Zoo along with fund raising. The state is too cheap to chip in! It needs to be named the Norfolk Zoo instead!!

The reason the National Zoo is free is because it is part of the Smithsonian. I think that Norfolk supplies most of the public funding for the Virginia Zoo along with fund raising. The state is too cheap to chip in! It needs to be named the Norfolk Zoo instead!!

Isin't any "Zoo" a Zooilogical park? Zoo is just short for Zooilogical...Right?

Like lil-bear said the national zoo is free because its part of the Smithsonian.

Errors be dammed! <_<

Isin't any "Zoo" a Zooilogical park? Zoo is just short for Zooilogical...Right?

Like lil-bear said the national zoo is free because its part of the Smithsonian.

Errors be dammed! <_<

Yes, zoo is short for zoological.

I haven't been to the Virginia Zoo(logical Park) since I was a little kid.

Yes, zoo is short for zoological.

I haven't been to the Virginia Zoo(logical Park) since I was a little kid.

Well they are redoing it completely. They just finished the new African exhibit and new entrance and they have 4 more continents planned over the years. I have a feeling that Layfayette park might be gobbled up by the zoo, at least I hope it does. We need a killer zoo here!

I wish Norfolk would offer a zoological park, like in DC, so that people can appreciate the zoo for free. It is so cool to just walk in the Smithsonian Zoo, which is huge, for free! It is a top notch zoo and free. How so?

The zoo and all the museums in DC are free but that is not the norm. In most cities in the US, museums must charge admission. Same for zoos. In fact, the London Zoo charged like

Well they are redoing it completely. They just finished the new African exhibit and new entrance and they have 4 more continents planned over the years. I have a feeling that Layfayette park might be gobbled up by the zoo, at least I hope it does. We need a killer zoo here!

Actually, I think they abandoned the idea of doing continental thing, at least for the time being. I think I remember reading an article with the zoo's president, who took over shortly after the new Africa extension opened, which basically stated that he wasn't too keen on that type of setup, especially since there are not many exhibit areas near the entrance. So short-term goals would be to rebuild the entrance area and open some new exhibits in areas we people first enter the zoo.

Apparently this change resulted from the fact that we have quite a few people coming to the zoo whose IQs must not be substantially higher than animals they are there to visit. The president stated that they receive lots of complaints about people entering the zoo and quickly getting lost, not immediately finding any animals other than those in the barnyard area, and then leaving in anger and frustration. Apparently reading a zoo map is HARD work, as is having an attention span of more than 90 seconds

Actually, I think they abandoned the idea of doing continental thing, at least for the time being. I think I remember reading an article with the zoo's president, who took over shortly after the new Africa extension opened, which basically stated that he wasn't too keen on that type of setup, especially since there are not many exhibit areas near the entrance. So short-term goals would be to rebuild the entrance area and open some new exhibits in areas we people first enter the zoo.

Apparently this change resulted from the fact that we have quite a few people coming to the zoo whose IQs must not be substantially higher than animals they are there to visit. The president stated that they receive lots of complaints about people entering the zoo and quickly getting lost, not immediately finding any animals other than those in the barnyard area, and then leaving in anger and frustration. Apparently reading a zoo map is HARD work, as is having an attention span of more than 90 seconds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love to see a really ambitious, creepy and disgusting insect zoo. That would bring the kids in big time. Have exotic and poisonous spiders from around the world, centipedes, millepedes, hissing cockroaches, flying roaches. They had one in San Francisco where you could handle millipedes and tarantulas (not poisonous ones). The stuff dreams are made of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived