Virginia Zoo

rusthebuss

Does the state budget any money for the zoo? I wouldn't think the tight a$$e$ in the General Assembly would, but I may be wrong. If Norfolk is the only legislative body funding the zoo, then I say change the name to the Norfolk Zoo. Most people call it that anyways.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the state budget any money for the zoo? I wouldn't think the tight a$$e$ in the General Assembly would, but I may be wrong. If Norfolk is the only legislative body funding the zoo, then I say change the name to the Norfolk Zoo. Most people call it that anyways.

It was built by the city as an attraction. Therefore it is not the obligation of the commonwealth to fund it. That should be left for the city and philanthropists.

It used to be called the Norfolk Zoo, but the Zoo administration decided to change the name some years ago, probably for marketing reasons.

I still want my ultra creepy insect zoo with cockroaches from around the world, venomous spiders and ant and bee colonies under glass--things that make children go ooohh and yuckkkkk. A petting zoo is geat fun too, and some exotic birds that you can handle (with assistance). These aren't expensive attractions, and are a lot more fun than watching big cats lie down in the heat. But we're so damned serious around here. Even Nauticus was more for science enthusiasts than for we lifelong kids.

The new animal hospital is probably a good move. Much thanks to Frank Batten

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Exactly!

Well, its not like the animals that are dieing are birds, small rodents, or other animals with relatively short lifespans. These are young animals, mostly intended to live lives much longer than they presently are at the zoo. Besides, in the wild they actually have predators and have to search out their own food. I'm beginning to think perhaps they would be safer in the wild.

• 3 months later...

Virginia Zoo names new director, from South Bend, Ind.

Norfolk zoo officials are preparing to begin construction of a new master plan, which includes an animal hospital; a playground with a carousel; and exhibits for tapirs, lemurs and gibbons.

New exhibits will be rolled out over the next several years, starting in 2008.

Bockheim said he's interested in "building a legacy for the community, which is the exciting part of a master plan."

• 2 months later...

This is the best possible news for the zoo (imo). Having animals that you can pet, goats that will eat your shirt and ponies that kids can ride is what a zoo should have. I know that there are people around here who think that kids should learn the Latin names of all species and learn the proctological examination proceedures for feral gibbons, but a child centered experience is much more what zoos are about.

Archived