THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

How could a restaurant in downtown survive without serving alcohol beverages?

Do you know what retails will be in the cornerstone building? Is it the dealearship? Is the bowling alley still going to be there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that United Heritage is taking a portion of the first floor of the Cornerstone. But I could have sworn that I read somewhere (Journal maybe?) that a Bentley/Rolls Royce dealership called exotic car store (out of manhattan) was setting up shop there. Does anybody remember seeing this or am I completely losing it?

I know that United Heritage is taking a portion of the first floor of the Cornerstone.  But I could have sworn that I read somewhere (Journal maybe?) that a Bentley/Rolls Royce dealership called exotic car store (out of manhattan) was setting up shop there.  Does anybody remember seeing this or am I completely losing it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I posted the article about the Bentley dealership on here a while back but haven't heard about it since. Of course, you could be losing it anyway. :P

Developer Kuhn nixes plans for office tower

By Jack Snyder

Sentinel Staff Writer

March 18, 2005

Orlando developer Cameron Kuhn said Thursday he's scuttling plans for a 10-story office tower in a downtown block targeted for redevelopment, though he's pushing ahead with retail plans that include a luxury-car dealership.

Earlier this year, Kuhn said he would build a 400,000-square-foot office tower atop a city parking garage in the block bounded by Orange Avenue, Washington Street, Jefferson Street and a city parking lot.

Kuhn said "several factors" prompted his decision to cancel the tower, including rising construction costs and the political uncertainty caused by Mayor Buddy Dyer's indictment and suspension from office last week.

City Commissioner Patty Sheehan said she was surprised at Kuhn's decision and she wonders if he had "too many balls in the air" with his other development projects downtown and is "using this as an excuse."

Nevertheless, Sheehan said Kuhn's action is something of deep concern to the city.

The political and economic ripples from Dyer's indictment has created "tremendous uncertainty. Investors get leery. My hope is that we can get this behind us very quickly. I'm hoping that the council can create a level of certainty for the community."

Kuhn insisted he doesn't think the area's office-condominium market is overbuilt, despite several projects in the pipeline. "I may yet do a tower on another site in the future," he said.

Redevelopment of the block's retail space and the former JC Penney department store will continue, he said. The JC Penney building is being renovated for office-condo and retail space. Work is to be finished in June.

The developer said he has a deal for an "exotic car" dealer to open a showroom in 25,000 square feet of retail space within the block. He said Exotic Cars Inc. of New York plans to open dealerships for such cars as Rolls Royce and Bentley in Orlando, Miami and West Palm Beach.

The car dealership would be the second to locate in the city center in recent years. Downtown Mini Inc., which sells the British Mini cars, opened in 2001 at 131 N. Orange Ave.

That dealership moved into retail space renovated by Kuhn.

Two other dealerships -- one for cars and another for motorcycles -- are considering locating downtown, he said. He would not identify those dealerships.

When Downtown Mini opened, it was the first center-city car dealership in more than a decade.

Kuhn's redevelopment of the so-called Jaymont Block at Orange Avenue and Church Street is under construction. That project -- called Premiere Trade Plaza -- includes two office-condominium towers; a residential tower with 306 condominiums; 105,000 square feet of retail, and a 12-screen movie theater.

The city provided $22.5 million in incentives for the project.

I went for a quick drive and stroll through downtown this afternoon and took these pictures:

City Hall

img26233hb.jpg

CNL II almost finished

img26245ja.jpg

CNL II construction site with The Grand Bohemian in the background

img26269fp.jpg

Midtown

img26278zu.jpg

Lynx Central Station

img26281tt.jpg

801 N. Orange site

img26313js.jpg

Looking south down Orange Avenue

img26336oy.jpg

Orange Avenue (taken through sunroof)

img26362zd.jpg

Premiere Trade Plaza/Solaire construction

img26388lu.jpg

The Jackson

img26404zt.jpg

The Jackson with The Sanctuary nearing completion in the background

img26394aq.jpg

Star Tower site

img26426mn.jpg

The Copper Whopper

img26430wc.jpg

Capital Plaza I & II and The Waverly

img26453qi.jpg

Plaza/Solaire construction

img26483te.jpg

SunTrust

img26524tf.jpg

Looking towards Central and Lake Eola

img26622zf.jpg

The parking lot-- soon to be the site of Tradition Towers

img26539av.jpg

Sanctuary in the rear

img26602rg.jpg

The Jackson peeking behind the garage

img26597mm.jpg

This almost reminds me of Boston's Back Bay with the steeples

img26585dz.jpg

Looking southeast

img26544nw.jpg

Looking north-ish

img26614gf.jpg

Soon to be upgraded density

img26670fq.jpg

Heritage Square

img26731vk.jpg

Orange County Regional History Center (formerly a courthouse)

img26686wo.jpg

Brick high-rises

img26699cp.jpg

Central Boulevard

img26633ax.jpg

The South doesn't get any dirtier than Orlando's Public Library

img26755vy.jpg

Edited by bic

The South doesn't get any dirtier than Orlando's Public Library

img26755vy.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When was the library built??? Does anyone have an explanation as to WHY it looks so... um... UGLY? Cost issues?

Damn thing looks like a hurricane / fallout shelter! :lol:

Any chance that it'll be "refurbished" to fit into the whole "city beautiful" idea? Hell, I'd even take another (F)BBARCH building instead of this one!

The Orlando Public Library was designed by Brutalist architect Johanson (sp?).  I for one think its a great design considering the style.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brutalist architecture in Orlando, though? I'm not a fan of that style, so maybe it's just me, but I think the building doesn't fit very well...