THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

"Erm"…Actually, most of the distortion has been removed.

The horizon and the verticals are now rectilinear [for the most part] and any residual lens distortion that remains is down to the original optics themselves.

Erm...something isn't 'distorted' just because parallel lines aren't parallel. That's perspective. Parallel lines should approach each other as they become further from the vantage point. Optical illusions 101 - in the adjusted picture, the buildings look as if they are top-heavy, even though as you've shown in your diagram, they are 'rectilinear'. Our eyes, however, are trained to expect some sort of natural narrowing as buildings increase in height.

At any rate, thanks for brightening up the picture - that was definitely helpful.

Edited by uncreativeusername

Erm...something isn't 'distorted' just because parallel lines aren't parallel. That's perspective. Parallel lines should approach each other as they become further from the vantage point. Optical illusions 101 - in the adjusted picture, the buildings look as if they are top-heavy, even though as you've shown in your diagram, they are 'rectilinear'. Our eyes, however, are trained to expect some sort of natural narrowing as buildings increase in height.

At any rate, thanks for brightening up the picture - that was definitely helpful.

Actually distortion in photography has a pretty specific meaning which is not what you are addressing in your post.

A classic example of the point you are trying to make is the plinth of the Parthenon where, had the Athenians made the plinth perfectly level, it would appear, as one approaches it on angle, to be slightly curved. They therefore "built in" a small amount of curvature so that the plinth would appear to the human eye to be perfectly level.

A more subtle example is that of art framers who will almost center the art work on the background but leave at bit more space at the bottom so that when displayed it appears to be perfectly centered

Edited by Camillo Sitte

^Yes, the doctored photo, while perhaps closer to reality, is dull.

I see; having the vale of darkness removed, being able to see detail in the highlight and shadow areas, and correcting for the optical flaws of a less-than-perfect lens [as many, even expensive lenses are] is "dull. :whistling:

Yes, removing the “dramatic” convergence of those awe-inspiring 4 and 9 story Post buildings, removing the backward bending distortion of the cranes in the background – yes, that is ”dull” indeed [hint: want real “drama” get a fisheye lens and snap the cranes from up-close].

That is a rhetorical statement by the way as I know that you are saying this only as a sign of what you see as support for O'Native. But, in as much as I was not criticizing or attacking the photographer, you here demonstrating that you have absolutely no eye for photography by saying that the processed photo is "dull" is not necessary. :cry:

I bet that had O'Native felt he was being attacked in some way that he would say so.

Transparent really, but understandable all the same. Perhaps they should rename this the Stepford forum. :lol:

I am convinced that if myself or any number of other posters outside of this forums small group of self-appointed reach-around bois were to say that the sky is blue, you guys would immediately start PM'ing each other to post a unified front arguing that the sky was in fact red.

Everyone have a Happy New Year's eve!

Edited by Camillo Sitte

O'native could really give a s**t tonight. This evening the goal is to try and pop the most bottles of champagne in South Beach history, ever.

Side note:

I know that this is the wrong thread for this, but I want to thank each and everyone of you for your individual contributions over the last year. Your inputs and personalities don't go unnoticed. We have had a stellar year as a city and I guarantee that we will be saying the same thing next year. I truly love Florida until the day that I die, but everyone else needs to step aside, because we are truly on the path to some HUGE things in the next five years. Once again thanks for the moments. And we'll talk next year.

Happy New Year! "Orlandonative out" :)

Edited by orlandonative

I truly love Florida until the day that I die, but everyone else needs to step aside, because we are truly on the path to some HUGE things in the next five years.

Yep. If we work really hard at it, and those wonderful developers continue at their current rate, we may be able to pave over every last square inch of land and suck up every last gallon of ground water that's left in the state and be rid of all that pesky, bothersome nature once and for all.

Woo hoo.

Go Florida.

We're #1.

More nonsense. The brightened pic is a huge improvement over the original, and it was very considerate of C.S. to take the time to do it.

OK, I've just about had it. What the hell is going on here!!?? Someone posts some fun pics they took in a flippin swan boat....and someone feels an need to offer unsolicited critiques and post processing which to me made the damn pic look like a flippin pop up book.

When other users said they preferred the original pic better the photo expert calls them all idiots for not knowing any better.

Then we have the OP taking the high road and saying what a great year we've had and what a great year 07 will be for Orlando and here comes another of our favorite told you so'ers going all Al Gore on us in the middle of an Urban discussion board. Where did that come from??? We're talking urban projects here not a Wal-Mart in Bithlo for gods sake.......

If you have such problems with this forum go the hell away!!!!!!!!!

Flippin Trolls!

OK, I've just about had it. What the hell is going on here!!?? Someone posts some fun pics they took in a flippin swan boat....and someone feels an need to offer unsolicited critiques and post processing which to me made the damn pic look like a flippin pop up book.

When other users said they preferred the original pic better the photo expert calls them all idiots for not knowing any better.

Then we have the OP taking the high road and saying what a great year we've had and what a great year 07 will be for Orlando and here comes another of our favorite told you so'ers going all Al Gore on us in the middle of an Urban discussion board. Where did that come from??? We're talking urban projects here not a Wal-Mart in Bithlo for gods sake.......

If you have such problems with this forum go the hell away!!!!!!!!!

Flippin Trolls!

Well said. Trolls indeed.

People who go out of the way to post their pics on the board shouldn't have to put up with that crap.

And only trolls can't figure out that developing a vibrant urban core where people can live work and be entertained means less car trips, more people on less land, using less water (no lawns to water).

Happy New Year!

From Wikipedia:

"In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others."

Make up your own mind.

Hmm, didn't think this would blow up the way it did. Kind of funny actually. But for the record, I wasn't using the term "distorted" in a professional photography mumbo-jumbo sense. I was using it in a common folk, "that looks kinda screwy" sense. The courthouse is leaning forward for god's sakes. I also agree with the previous comment that the bright colors of the doctored photo look sterile. It might not have been that dark in real life, and probably wasn't, but the original photo is still the more natural looking of the two. For whatever reason, the Vue does look taller in that one as well.

I don't claim to be a professional judge of photography, or know what you buffs consider "right or "wrong", but I do know the undoctored photo looks better to me for several reasons. Not really a topic worth getting into a flame war over though. Conspiracy theories and accusing people of purposely taking sides is especially ridiculous.

Edited by F-L-A

Some of you guys are hilarious. You take all this stuff so seriously. Then get offended and huffy when someone offers a differing opinion or dares to go against the grain of the little establishment that has apparently taken hold in this forum.

Talk about "group think".

And in case one or two of you don't understand this... in an URBAN DISCUSSION forum, environmental matters are a perfectly appropriate topic.

But all I ever see here is this mindless unbridled enthusiasm for rampant unchecked development with not one comment about the downside to all this growth.

And when someone DOES mention it, the mindless majority/cheerleading squad starts screaming "troll".

You all are so robotic you can't even come up with original insults. Instead you have to resort to tired overused internet "jargon".

Why don't you call me a provocatuer, or a sh*t stirrer, or just a plain old a-hole or a jagazz?

Go ahead. I can take it.

But I'm not a "troll".

A little bit of controversy is a good thing.

Some of you all just aren't big enough people to handle it.

Grow up.

Well said. Trolls indeed.

People who go out of the way to post their pics on the board shouldn't have to put up with that crap.

And only trolls can't figure out that developing a vibrant urban core where people can live work and be entertained means less car trips, more people on less land, using less water (no lawns to water).

Happy New Year!

What crap??? The picture was too dark, so someone took the liberty of lightening it up a little and suddenly it's this big act of terrorism???

And as for your take on environmental issues and water usage, everytime a new residence is occupied, lawn or no lawn, water is being used. Toilets are being flushed. Showers are running. And more water is being pulled out of the ground.

And downtown isn't the only development taking place, in case you hadn't noticed.

I realize that doesn't fit nicely and neatly into your rosy little "everything is just dandy, so build more stuff" view of the world, but that's reality.

Sorry if I upset you.

"Forum Nazi".

(Hey, if you can call me a troll, it's only fair...)

Some of you guys are hilarious. You take all this stuff so seriously. Then get offended and huffy when someone offers a differing opinion or dares to go against the grain of the little establishment that has apparently taken hold in this forum.

A differing opinion to a non specific Happy New Year message though?? C'mon........ :rolleyes:

As far as the doctoring photo goes....well I gotta start by telling you that Camillo has posted some of my favorite shots ever on this forum but I just remember last time this happened it took us into a swirl. Now that I reflect on it though, that's between him and the Original Poster and I overeacted in response. I apologize to Camillo. It just seems that he is condescending to anyone who doesn't agree with his work. To quote my dear friend JFW...let's not take it all so seriously...sometimes a pic is just a pic.

It really was JFW's response to a concilliatory Happy New Year message that put me over the edge.