THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

O'native could really give a s**t tonight. This evening the goal is to try and pop the most bottles of champagne in South Beach history, ever.

Side note:

I know that this is the wrong thread for this, but I want to thank each and everyone of you for your individual contributions over the last year. Your inputs and personalities don't go unnoticed. We have had a stellar year as a city and I guarantee that we will be saying the same thing next year. I truly love Florida until the day that I die, but everyone else needs to step aside, because we are truly on the path to some HUGE things in the next five years. Once again thanks for the moments. And we'll talk next year.

Happy New Year! "Orlandonative out" :)

*sigh* Ive been singing Orlandos praises for years. While I was a Realtor downtown I told anyone who would listen Orlando was about to boom. Hardly one of them belived me. A few of my investors did and I bent over backwards for them.

I can not wait to watch as Orlando rises past all of its "sister citys" and "rivals". They will have whiplash from the double takes!

Happy New Year Every one!

It just seems that he is condescending to anyone who doesn't agree with his work.

J-H-C - How is this possible? I mean, it isn't even my photo! :)

I see a lot of new digital photographers who have yet to realize that many digital cameras [most compact digital cameras] give pretty much crap results straight out of the camera and that there is often a wealth of information an better results to be found in even just a little bit of basic post-processing.

I thought that this might be the case with O'Native's images so I offered a bit of, admittedly unsolicited, advice. I will point out that I was not critiqing his subject matter, his artistic vision, etc. Just suggesting that a little post-processing can do wonders.

For the record I did [or more accurately Photoshop CS2 did] precisely three things with the first image: I modified the linearity of the curve, I brought out detail in the highlight and shadow areas, and I corrected for the lens distortion and over-exaggerated perspective.

Now, one can reasonably argue that they prefer the exaggerated perspective, fine, but to suggest that, save this one "choice" the original images were "better" or "more dramatic", or "less dull" is just silly. I saw those comments as arising from another posters perception that I was somehow criticizing or attacking O'Native so this other poster was trying to support him. My apologies but with the noted exception of perspective there is no honest and fully sighted person that would see the un-Photoshoped version of O'Native

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Can we please agree to drop this. I have no problem with Camillo re-working the photos, obviously his look a hell of a lot nicer. In fact, I dare say that Camillo has provided us some of the finest photos of Orlando that I have seen. Clearly I am not a photographer, so I'll stick to what I do best which is continue to give us something to photograph.

Hmm, didn't think this would blow up the way it did. Kind of funny actually. But for the record, I wasn't using the term "distorted" in a professional photography mumbo-jumbo sense. I was using it in a common folk, "that looks kinda screwy" sense. The courthouse is leaning forward for god's sakes. I also agree with the previous comment that the bright colors of the doctored photo look sterile. It might not have been that dark in real life, and probably wasn't, but the original photo is still the more natural looking of the two. For whatever reason, the Vue does look taller in that one as well.

I don't claim to be a professional judge of photography, or know what you buffs consider "right or "wrong", but I do know the undoctored photo looks better to me for several reasons.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but [and I know that you probably don't care] the "doctored" image is in fact the real image. Save for the perspective change in the first image I didn't change anything.

I did not juice or otherwise alter the colors in those images. The reason why the un-processed images are so "dark" is because the relatively "bright" sky fooled the in-camera light meter causing a good 2

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Can we please agree to drop this. I have no problem with Camillo re-working the photos, obviously his look a hell of a lot nicer. In fact, I dare say that Camillo has provided us some of the finest photos of Orlando that I have seen. Clearly I am not a photographer, so I'll stick to what I do best which is continue to give us something to photograph.

Fine by me.

But then I see this as a discussion, not an argument. As I said, the images are yours, I really didn't "change" anything. :thumbsup:

[P.S. I think your images are just fine but I would check out your camera's white balance options - sorry, couldn't resist :P ]

Cheers.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Nice photos, i just skipped the last 20 comments b/c i got bored with the arguing, lol, thanks for posting, doctoring, and whatever else might have been done to the pics... I have tons of pics of downtown, night and day pics from all over the city but i havent found the time or the patience to put them on here so kudos to you all for taking time to do so :)

Here's a shot my girlfriend took from a garage rooftop a couple of weeks ago. I like the view since you won't see this from the street or I-4. It is looking south at Orange Avenue from downtown.

it took me a moment to figure out where that was, until I saw the MD Andersen bldg. great shot.

This is a perspective I can shoot a lot, so pardon for the repetitive composition, however perhaps it'll be a basis for a time line slide show. In he left hand corner I can finally see a substantial amount of Dynatech rising from the ground.

Anyway, hope someone likes it, and I do take requests.

DSC_0001.jpg

I can't get enough of everyone's photo updates so I'm very appreciative of those who take the time to take the pictures and share them with us, but I have just one request. There are lots of shots of individual buildings under construction on here but very few updated skyline shots or pictures of clusters of buildings to show how the new projects relate to their surroundings. Can we see some more of those? I'd take them myself but I don't get back to Jamlando very often.

I haven't gotten many good angles lately on entire skyline shots. Here's one I thought was kind of nice showing Star Tower coming into it's own.

dsc5945edited1xe4.jpg

I have always tried posting in the Construction Updates portion of SSC but they tend to get lost in the Dubai updates. I've had mixed success in the Tampa..ahem...Florida subforum over there...but will try again...

I have always tried posting in the Construction Updates portion of SSC but they tend to get lost in the Dubai updates. I've had mixed success in the Tampa..ahem...Florida subforum over there...but will try again...

when posting in the 'Tampa' subforum, post a picture in the Orlando thread. monitor the "views" at the right. wait until a hundred or so views later to post again. It guarantees that they saw whatever you posted. If it ilicits commentary, then all the better.