THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

Officially Orlando's hippest house!

I totally agree, which brings me to something that has been bothering me about single family homes in Orlando -- the lack of new modern homes. All the new construction is either faux Craftsman or Spanish villa. Everyone seems to have just hopped onto the Celebration/Baldwin Park traditional look. I used to live in Sarasota where there is a long history of cosmopolitan modern design that is missing here. One developer there has plans for an entire neighborhood of modern style homes that will probably grace the pages of Dwell magazine someday. Does anyone know of a neighborhood with a good stock of mid-century modern homes or better yet, know an architecture firm that has an imagination?

Edited by palmtree73

If Eola Place (phase 1) and 201 are both built, then that corridor will be very strong. That will basically leave only Eola Place (phase 2) and the area from Jackson to South undeveloped, which I could live with. Hopefully people will actually live at 101 unlike the Sanctuary, which looks pretty empty to me.

I totally agree, which brings me to something that has been bothering me about single family homes in Orlando -- the lack of new modern homes. All the new construction is either faux Craftsman or Spanish villa. Everyone seems to have just hopped onto the Celebration/Baldwin Park traditional look. I used to live in Sarasota where there is a long history of cosmopolitan modern design that is missing here. One developer there has plans for an entire neighborhood of modern style homes that will probably grace the pages of Dwell magazine someday (http://www.housesofindianbeach.com/index.html). Does anyone know of a neighborhood with a good stock of mid-century modern homes or better yet, know an architecture firm that has an imagination?

There is an area in Nashville of all places that has about 5 modern single family homes that were developed together a couple of years ago. There are links on the web but I forgot the name of the street. The houses are sharp. There will be an extremely modern home going up on South Street near Summerlin in a couple of months. Hopefully, more will follow. There are traditional city zoning restrictions that do not encourage this unfortunately.

Does anyone know of a neighborhood with a good stock of mid-century modern homes or better yet, know an architecture firm that has an imagination?

There a couple on a street in WP that I jog by all the time. I can't remember the street off the top of my head. Next time, I go for my long run through the Via's, I will make a mental note of the street.

I think I read in the Sentinel that the Miller Residence, as it was being called by the DDB, in Thornton Park is being left on hold (I don't think it will happen at all now) due to the property owner recently dying of cancer. The widow is obviously still alive, but they didn't mention if she would be going forward with the project home. It is the space next to the laundromat that was expected to have an art gallery on the first floor. Anyway, it had a very cool modern design.

This is an organization that is in the process of going national, but works with homeless individuals by providing housing and job opportunities. It's a much healthier solution than simply warehousing homeless people.

Homeless Solution to Keep Orlando Beautiful

Are they planning to help out with the homeless from orlando?

I'm glad people are finally starting to realize that just giving them free homeless shelters doesn't do much at all to help the homless. Capitalism drives everything.....give them jobs and oppurtunities to succeed

thats the one thing that bothers me about downtown are the panhandlers and people sleeping on the street