sunshine

THE Orlando Photo Thread

2015 posts in this topic

This is an organization that is in the process of going national, but works with homeless individuals by providing housing and job opportunities. It's a much healthier solution than simply warehousing homeless people.

Homeless Solution to Keep Orlando Beautiful

I really do like the idea but the illustrations on that website have a sort of Family Guy/Simpsons satirical feel.

Are they planning to help out with the homeless from orlando?

I'm glad people are finally starting to realize that just giving them free homeless shelters doesn't do much at all to help the homless. Capitalism drives everything.....give them jobs and oppurtunities to succeed

thats the one thing that bothers me about downtown are the panhandlers and people sleeping on the street

It would be nice if Buddy did what Giuliani did. Too bad he wouldn't ever do that.

It would be nice if Buddy did what Giuliani did. Too bad he wouldn't ever do that.

And what exactly did Giuliani do?

OK history buffs, guess the year...

skyshotsxj9.jpg

The middle to end of 1992. Because the new city hall is there as well as the old city hall and the old city hall came down in 1992 i believe after the new city hall was built.

Edited by ORLANDOJBBOY

OK. Doesn't look like I'm getting any more guesses, so the year was 1991.

Hey bic, you can't be up in here changin' your answer!

I changed it to '92 before ORLANDOJBBOY submitted his guess. I first put down '88 because I didn't notice the Arena, then after I saw it and the new City Hall, i switched it to '92. Not that it matters...

I changed it to '92 before ORLANDOJBBOY submitted his guess. I first put down '88 because I didn't notice the Arena, then after I saw it and the new City Hall, i switched it to '92. Not that it matters...

I was just razzin you. It's no big deal. It's not like I was giving out prizes or anything. To be honest with you, if there wasn't a caption at the bottom of the photograph (which I excluded), I wouldn't have a clue.

dsc6266edited1gd2.jpg

That angle from I-4 makes downtown seem big.

Edited by cameronm

From what I've heard, he sent them to New Jersey on buses.

Too costly! A bus ride from Orlando to New Jersey is much more expensive than NY to NJ.

It's winter uprise! Give 'em a break.

I would be nice if Orlando would use some more stringent code enforcement to keep the vacant lots (or older low-rise occupied lots) a bit more tidy.....

Are they planning to help out with the homeless from orlando?

I'm glad people are finally starting to realize that just giving them free homeless shelters doesn't do much at all to help the homless. Capitalism drives everything.....give them jobs and oppurtunities to succeed

thats the one thing that bothers me about downtown are the panhandlers and people sleeping on the street

opportunity is one thing.....motivation is another.....

until we as a country force people to take responsibility for their own life (and their own health, finances, and whatnot) we will always have homeless people and panhandlers....

dsc6266edited1gd2.jpg

Since this is the photo thread, that is an absolutely stunning photo of downtown Tim :thumbsup: . Is that from the Nort side of Lake Ivanhoe? Hell'uva way to capture all of the buildings in one photo. I'm going to try an get on top of Florida Hopital U/C this week to see if I can grab the persective from up there, it is absolutely incredible and from that distance it provides a sillouette of the buildings that makes them appear like they are all right next to each other including south Eola all the way up Central and into the CBD. Hats off again.

Edited by orlandonative

OK. Doesn't look like I'm getting any more guesses, so the year was 1991.

I don't know if anyone noticed also, but the expansion of the Citrus Bowl was also visible in that photo. I thought the new City Hall was built in 1992.

OK history buffs, guess the year...

skyshotsxj9.jpg

this shot is so depressing. It's like a frontier town. it reminds me of when I would visit Orlando from Gainesville, and it seemed like UCF and downtown's existence were merely novelties; mere diversions to going to Disney. what a turnaround. however, some still believe that is still the case.

Thanks O'Native. Yep from the north shore of Lake Ivanhoe. Here's some more from out and about today. I'm playing with a new lens.

dsc6503edited1iw0.jpg

dsc6510edited1wi0.jpg

dsc6584edited1fl1.jpg

dsc6597edited1of1.jpg

dsc6631edited1ax2.jpg

dsc6637edited1bm4.jpg

Great shots!!!!!!!!!

the 1st one, from Lake Highland Prep-- is such a unique angle; it shows the diversity of vantage points for DT.

the one with the Waverly is stunning. not sure why I like it so much... I just do.

the others of course are great.

Thats pretty funny. If you turn up the audio you can here an overly enthusiastic fan of implosions. I believe he says "C'mon down babydoll"?