THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

From a park just west of Lake Eola.

post-6913-1170035363_thumb.jpg

post-6913-1170035371_thumb.jpg

For all the water in Orlando, are there any real, natural waterways (not lakes or canals) in the city itself?

Lake Orlando in the Northwest section of the city limits. I believe it is the headwaters of the Little Wekiva River which flows through Altamonte Springs and leads to the Wekiva River and then the St. Johns River and eventually the Atlantic Ocean.

Lake Orlando in the Northwest section of the city limits. I believe it is the headwaters of the Little Wekiva River which flows through Altamonte Springs and leads to the Wekiva River and then the St. Johns River and eventually the Atlantic Ocean.

No way! Thats a new Disney ride for sure. Remember, this is Orlando, according to everyone else we have nothing natural nor cultural to contribute to this fine state of Tampa, I mean Florida ;)

From a park just west of Lake Eola.

post-6913-1170035363_thumb.jpg

post-6913-1170035371_thumb.jpg

For all the water in Orlando, are there any real, natural waterways (not lakes or canals) in the city itself?

The Sentinel just did a great piece on Reedy Creek, Shingle Creek and one other Creek show how Orlando is where the headwaters for the Everglades are located. It was about a week or so ago.

The Sentinel just did a great piece on Reedy Creek, Shingle Creek and one other Creek show how Orlando is where the headwaters for the Everglades are located. It was about a week or so ago.

Colonial Drive is pretty much the dividing line for North and South water flow. Everything North of Colonial flows to the St Johns and out to the Atlantic. Everything South of Colonial flows through the Everglades and out the Southern tip of Florida.

Colonial Drive is pretty much the dividing line for North and South water flow. Everything North of Colonial flows to the St Johns and out to the Atlantic. Everything South of Colonial flows through the Everglades and out the Southern tip of Florida.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Colonial is only the dividing line for a small section in the Pine Hills area. Sand Lake Road is the dividing line east of OBT.

infomap

Click on Water Management District under "Environmental".

??????

Are you serious???

I wish it was downtown.

Orlando, that is.

I think it looks better than most of the buildings there now.

well... to each their own i suppose. I think it's pretty ugly too. It looks like a stubby glass windsail. & you know downtown would look awesome with another stubby building.

Are you serious???

Very. The renderings I saw looked decent enough but the finished (I obviously use that term loosely) product is terrible. Maybe if it were considerably taller, thinner and had better looking glass, I'd like it. But that's not the case, and I'm quite glad it's not downtown. One of the biggest eyesores in Orlando, IMO.

Edited by F-L-A

Very. The renderings I saw looked decent enough but the finished (I obviously use that term loosely) product is terrible. Maybe if it were considerably taller, thinner and had better looking glass, I'd like it. But that's not the case, and I'm quite glad it's not downtown. One of the biggest eyesores in Orlando, IMO.

Well I agree about the height issue and the "finished" look compared to the rendering, but if that building were as close to I-4 in DTO as it is to I-4 where it is, I think it would look very cool.

I like the ultra modern look, and the steel work at the top really does it for me too. I like that kind of thing. Gives it a "high tech" look.

To me the ugliest building in Orlando is that silver box that sits at Central and Garland. Yecch. Zzzzzzzzz.

And that other old shoebox that sits across from The Vue at Robinson and Rosalind. Dull.

And actually, I don't think much of the stumpy CNL buildings either. At least that dopey looking ring-thing atop the first one on the south end. Looks like someone couldn't come up with anything, so they just plopped that on there for lack of any better ideas.

The architecture in DTO is boring, stodgy and conservative. It needs some ultra modern looking buildings like that one to wake the place up a little.

Edited by JFW657

well, I'll chime in now.. I like the Majesty bldg. I don't like the handling of it's development from those sheisters [sic] though.

height to width it's not that bad. it's unique from every angle. not saying it's the best, but I do think it's one of the coolest looking around. it was supposed to be 4+ stories taller originally, from what I remember. so it's 20% shorter than it should have been.

it's better than the water tower across the street.

well, I'll chime in now.. I like the Majesty bldg. I don't like the handling of it's development from those sheisters [sic] though.

height to width it's not that bad. it's unique from every angle. not saying it's the best, but I do think it's one of the coolest looking around. it was supposed to be 4+ stories taller originally, from what I remember. so it's 20% shorter than it should have been.

it's better than the water tower across the street.

Oh yeah, baby....

Four more floors and sitting right off of Garland Ave. somewhere in the vicinity of Washington or Jefferson St.

Ahh, to dream....

Edited by JFW657

Great shots, JFW. Here's a screen shot from the Dynetech construction cam of the South Eola neighborhood. You can see The Paramount's ongoing contribution to the Central Blvd. street wall and a little bit of 101 Eola poking out behind The Sanctuary.

eolaupdate12ib.jpg

I just stumbled across this screenshot. Wonderful angle. This makes the South Eola neighborhood look quite dense (even if it is a bit misleading, for now). All and all, Central Ave is going to give Orange a run for its money as downtown's most vibrant street. I like the Paramount simply because it is not a big wall of glass, a much needed contrast to the three towers neighboring it. Hopefully the final result can match my enthusiasm for this development.

Edited by prahaboheme

To me the ugliest building in Orlando is that silver box that sits at Central and Garland. Yecch. Zzzzzzzzz.

now, here's an idea for this bldg: think BOA WInter Park and how they made that '60's looking thing look like it was from the 1930's. I don't know how much something like that would cost, though.

or,

use the existing bldg. as though it were 1 of several tubes. then, build two adjacent towers to it in a step-up fashion. think Crowne Plaza on Universal and how they took an existing tower husk, added onto it, and made the hotel out of it. design-wise, think of Sears Tower and how it's base is 9 tubes all touching and each terminating at different heights.

here, they can build a tower that is 20 stories and maybe another that is 30. do it in the shape of an "L".

or,

demo it.