THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

I kinda like the old SouthTrust Building (now Fairwinds). It has that Manhattan Citicorp Center look to it with the aluminum and is one of the few buildings downtown that doesn't have square windows framed by pre-cast stone.

The building that really bothers me is the Southern Community Bank at 250 North Orange Ave. Why spend so much money on renovations to make a building look worse than it did before? Dark green reflective glass? And that pattern? Blech.

orlando_9715.jpg

The building that really bothers me is the Southern Community Bank at 250 North Orange Ave. Why spend so much money on renovations to make a building look worse than it did before? Dark green reflective glass? And that pattern? Blech.

orlando_9715.jpg

Couldn't agree with you more, bic. It looks like a bad game of Tetris...

now, here's an idea for this bldg: think BOA WInter Park and how they made that '60's looking thing look like it was from the 1930's. I don't know how much something like that would cost, though.

or,

use the existing bldg. as though it were 1 of several tubes. then, build two adjacent towers to it in a step-up fashion. think Crowne Plaza on Universal and how they took an existing tower husk, added onto it, and made the hotel out of it. design-wise, think of Sears Tower and how it's base is 9 tubes all touching and each terminating at different heights.

here, they can build a tower that is 20 stories and maybe another that is 30. do it in the shape of an "L".

or,

demo it.

A long time ago I had a picture of a model that had that building as part of a 3 building complex facing Garland Ave. between Central and Washington. There was a 24 story tower next to the current 12 story, and on the far north end at Washinton was an 18 story tower. They were all connected by covered elevated walkways at around the 2nd floor. The tallest tower in the middle had set backs on the upper corners similar to the First Union building up on North Orange. They all had the same silver skin with horizontal widow strips in between.

I wish like crazy I could find the picture. I think that was the first of the "projects that never made it" in DTO.

It was a cool looking complex with all 3 towers, but by itself, it just doesn't get it.

I do like your idea of doing something like the Winter Park building, though. We need more of that style down there.

I think what they did to the tower portion was a vast improvement over what it looked like before, but what I've never understood is why they quit without renovating that ugly ground floor section at the corner of Orange and Robinson.

I'm talking about that junk with the rocks stuck in it. It looks like the front of the old Sears store at Fashion Square.

Very "early sixties tacky".

That's a great shot of the city...new angle.

But yeah, when they repainted the exterior a few years back, it definitely struck me as being overly phallic.

Here's the real kicker: it's not paint. It's brand new exterior wall/window surfacing. They upgraded the building from Class C to Class B I think. and increased everyone's rent. that's why BMM moved out. I don't even think it's Class A.

As they were placing the panels, I thought they were putting them in following that pattern b/c they were short in supply. I was wrong. Someone was smoking crack instead.

A long time ago I had a picture of a model that had that building as part of a 3 building complex facing Garland Ave. between Central and Washington. There was a 24 story tower next to the current 12 story, and on the far north end at Washinton was an 18 story tower. They were all connected by covered elevated walkways at around the 2nd floor. The tallest tower in the middle had set backs on the upper corners similar to the First Union building up on North Orange. They all had the same silver skin with horizontal widow strips in between.

I wish like crazy I could find the picture. I think that was the first of the "projects that never made it" in DTO.

It was a cool looking complex with all 3 towers, but by itself, it just doesn't get it.

I do like your idea of doing something like the Winter Park building, though. We need more of that style down there.

no kidding?

well, that explains much. wow. I had no idea. well, bring on the Dolive-look for a new exterior b/c that bldg. is too small to have that silver cladding on it. it looks embarassingly dinky. Unless they can realize the original plan, then reclad it. Like you said, we need more "older" looking bldgs in DT.

Here ya go...

SAVE0001.jpg

I think what they did to the tower portion was a vast improvement over what it looked like before, but what I've never understood is why they quit without renovating that ugly ground floor section at the corner of Orange and Robinson.

I'm talking about that junk with the rocks stuck in it. It looks like the front of the old Sears store at Fashion Square.

Very "early sixties tacky".

As I said in another thread - That building and the land it sits on is a switching station wholly owned by Sprint - it wasn't up to the tower developers to renovate - and it will be there, just like it is, until someone offers build and equip a new switching station for Sprint somewhere else.

Don

As I said in another thread - That building and the land it sits on is a switching station wholly owned by Sprint - it wasn't up to the tower developers to renovate - and it will be there, just like it is, until someone offers build and equip a new switching station for Sprint somewhere else.

I knew the old JCPenney building was a switching station before Kuhn bought it and re-renovated it, but I didn't know that about the bottom part of SCB.

I guess we'll be looking at that ugly crap for awhile.

The Olympia Centre plans remind of the current City Place idea... in 15 years or so, someone will pull out a rendering of those grand plans, and all we'll have to show for it is the Lexington.

As much as I would love to agree with that statement I have to remind myself that the real estate market of the late 1980's was very different than the real estate market we are currently experiencing. Lending has become much more stringent and while that does not necessarily increase the chances of a project getting off the ground it does mean that City Place will not be built out for very different reasons that Olympia Towers.