THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

Calm down. Breathe. This isn't an affront to anyone. Feel better now?

I am still noticing a huge amount of city envy here. City isn't about size or importance. It is about feel and attitude. Even the core of downtown Orlando is huge compared to many smaller cities. It has more restaurants and shops than some cities. No one is disputing that. But for some reason those in Downtown seem too eager to get more more more. Why? It's not helping. I would rather see one really cool large bookstore, one really great independent grocer, a really cool shop no one else has than a hundred chain stores. I would rather one really individual, totally unlike anywhere else block of cafes than miles of run of the mill restaurants. I want vibe. I want to know I am in a city, not just in a n area with big buildings. I don't need lots of green space, I don't need fancy homes or even fancy people. that is not Urban. Urban people aren't all fancy and rich. Urban is all kinds of people. Urban is all kinds of places, and always new stuff to explore.

Anotherwords, it's time to get away from focusing on growth and start focusing on details and diversity.

i agree on everything but the "green space" thing. many urban places are very green. atlanta is the first one that comes to mind. seattle is another. you fly into either and its trees trees everywhere. and i love seeing pics of those cities as well as orlando rising about the trees. i've lived in both of these places and can vouch for the fact that they are very urban yet keep their "greenness" i think the last thing orlando needs to do is start clearing out its green for the sake of becoming more urban.

but i don't want to take away from your other points. lets keep the chain crap outta the core so we can develop a real character.

i agree on everything but the "green space" thing. many urban places are very green. atlanta is the first one that comes to mind. seattle is another. you fly into either and its trees trees everywhere. and i love seeing pics of those cities as well as orlando rising about the trees. i've lived in both of these places and can vouch for the fact that they are very urban yet keep their "greenness" i think the last thing orlando needs to do is start clearing out its green for the sake of becoming more urban.

but i don't want to take away from your other points. lets keep the chain crap outta the core so we can develop a real character.

Atlanta is NOT urban! It is quintessentially suburban.

Are you saying its the cities job to subsidise trendy shops and resturants?

I think you are distorting meanings.

I agree with cloudship; I also believe growth is a factor in diversity. There is no reason Orlando cannot be focused on all of these issues simultaneously. Orlando will grow whether we focus on it or not. Isn't it true that one of metro Orlando's biggest challenges is sustainable growth vs sprawl?

Edited by prahaboheme

Calm down. Breathe. This isn't an affront to anyone. Feel better now?

I am still noticing a huge amount of city envy here. City isn't about size or importance. It is about feel and attitude. Even the core of downtown Orlando is huge compared to many smaller cities. It has more restaurants and shops than some cities. No one is disputing that. But for some reason those in Downtown seem too eager to get more more more. Why? It's not helping. I would rather see one really cool large bookstore, one really great independent grocer, a really cool shop no one else has than a hundred chain stores. I would rather one really individual, totally unlike anywhere else block of cafes than miles of run of the mill restaurants. I want vibe. I want to know I am in a city, not just in a n area with big buildings. I don't need lots of green space, I don't need fancy homes or even fancy people. that is not Urban. Urban people aren't all fancy and rich. Urban is all kinds of people. Urban is all kinds of places, and always new stuff to explore.

Anotherwords, it's time to get away from focusing on growth and start focusing on details and diversity.

I hcve never seen a more diverse neighborhood than the one I live in in MetroWest. It is totally crazy how every house has somone a different national origin, race, sexuality and income. I've learned a lot about all kinds of cultures, religions, food, way of life from my own neighbors. I didn't know that a large part of the Indian population in the area comes from Guyana or the West Indies and not India or Pakistan even though there is a large number of residents from there also. I never realized that the part of town I used to live in (we called it O-Rico) in the south Semoran and Goldenrod area is hugely Dominican and not Puerto Rican. And in the workplace ( I work for a large brokerage company based in San Francisco) I've discovered that a lot of the new hires (Caucasians) are Russian and Polish and Eastern European. Forget Ohio and New York, a large percentage of the new residents in Orlando are immigrants whether they are white, black, asian, or hispanic. This place is a real melting pot. Do any of you out there think that Orlando isn't about as diverse as diversity gets? The Sentinel has run special reports on this topic and if you read about Orlando in Wikipedia, the description is totally accurate. We are living in a very interesting city people-wise if you get out there and explore. And of course, although it is so integrated in society here now you may not believe or notice our huge gay population, in the top 10 metros for percentage of gay residents. From Wikipedia:

Orlando is also home to one of the nation's highest population percentage of GLBT people. According to a study by UCLA, 7.7% of Orlando's population is gay, lesbian, or bisexual and with 5.7% of the entire metropolitan population, it ranks 9th in the nation.[3] Everyone should read Orlando's description in Wikipedia and then read the description of other Florida cities or even other cities in the country and none sound more interesting. So diversity, we have it!

Atlanta is NOT urban! It is quintessentially suburban.

I used to think that to until I stayed in downtown Atlanta this summer close to Piedmont park and had some downtown envy. Go take a walk down Peachtree and Piedmont Park the next time in Atlanta and I think you'll have a different view.

For downtown Orlando, I like the way it is growing with all of the independent shops and restaurants. A lot of other larger downtowns have all of the touristy places like Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, Ripley's, Bubba Gump, etc... Thankfully, the tourist areas of Orlando are like a magnet for those places, so they have left downtown unscathed. I'm looking forward to when the movie theater opens up, the PAC, and new arena.

Also, with the commuter rail linking Downtown (Nightlife / Theaters / Sports / Concerts), Loch Haven Park (Musuems / Antique Shops), and Winter Park (Arts / Restaurants) all within 3 miles from each other, you will have the total package. I just hope they keep the train running between downtown and Winter Park all throughout the day. There is also a lot of history of rail going from Winter Park to dowtown Orlando from both cities early beginnings.

this discussion, while certainly vibrant and full of interesting insight, does NOT belong in this thread! would someone please move this over to the "things i'd like to see downtown" thread so we can keep this "orlando pics"

call me a purest.

this discussion, while certainly vibrant and full of interesting insight, does NOT belong in this thread! would someone please move this over to the "things i'd like to see downtown" thread so we can keep this "orlando pics"

call me a purest.

Second that. I keep coming here expecting to see new pics & it's just jabbering about trendy restaurants.

good shots.

the next photo I take will be from the corner of Eola & Church with 101 Eola to the right with Sanctuary behind it in the background... I really like how they are cladding 101 with curtainwall? at that corner of the parking structure... it's like a taste of Manhattan... the Seagrams Building... just a tad.

A very recent aerial of DT Orlando from another unique perspective:

2042101212_a78d4fe09e_b.jpg

posted by philadweller on SSC

South Eola is looking good here.

Wow that's a great pic. I could probably see my house if it weren't for all the trees, but than again the trees are what make it so nice. ^_^