sunshine

THE Orlando Photo Thread

codypet    128

I work in drainage and stormwater and I don't think I've ever seen lake levels get as low as they are right now.   Crane's Roost is dry near I-4.  Lake Como is 6' low.  You can't even see Lake Lancaster from Kaley anymore.

JFW657    1078
25 minutes ago, codypet said:

I work in drainage and stormwater and I don't think I've ever seen lake levels get as low as they are right now.   Crane's Roost is dry near I-4.  Lake Como is 6' low.  You can't even see Lake Lancaster from Kaley anymore.

It was much worse in 1998.

You could LITERALLY walk across Lake Davis without even getting the tops of your shoes wet.

Not sure, but I think I remember actually doing it once.

Aside from some wet mud near the middle, it was COMPLETELY DRY!!!!

Lake Eola wasn't much better off.

spenser1058    834
42 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

It was much worse in 1998.

You could LITERALLY walk across Lake Davis without even getting the tops of your shoes wet.

Not sure, but I think I remember actually doing it once.

Aside from some wet mud near the middle, it was COMPLETELY DRY!!!!

Lake Eola wasn't much better off.

Wasn't that the year we had all the wildfires and Pat Robertson declared it was Orlando's punishment for putting up the rainbow flags around the Pride parade route? Interestingly, there were no fires downtown- those were all out in the exurbs where the 700 Club supporters roam.

• Like 2

JFW657    1078
55 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Wasn't that the year we had all the wildfires and Pat Robertson declared it was Orlando's punishment for putting up the rainbow flags around the Pride parade route? Interestingly, there were no fires downtown- those were all out in the exurbs where the 700 Club supporters roam.

Yes, we had virtually zero rain almost all summer. 

July and August was hot and dry with little or no humidity. It was strange. Probably what Arizona feels like. I lived on E. Church and Summerlin and I remember trying to put a little bit of water on our postage stamp sized front yard every afternoon just to keep the grass from getting too crispy and completely dying. And smelling that smoke every time I stepped outside.

• Like 1

JFW657    1078

To be fair re: Lake Davis drying out, all the water didn't evaporate from lack of rain. The lake used to be fed from the bottom and when the surrounding water table went down far enough, the hole that fed the water to it, turned into a drain. After the drought was over, they brought in bulldozers and a big pile of clay which they used to plug the hole with then let it refill naturally. Or possibly by using the drain system that connects all the surrounding lakes together.

bulldogger    79

Not sure of the year, but that might be when we had a laser show at Lake Eola on July 4 instead of fireworks.  That was lame.  They might as well have played with flashlights.

• Like 1

JFW657    1078
1 hour ago, bulldogger said:

Not sure of the year, but that might be when we had a laser show at Lake Eola on July 4 instead of fireworks.  That was lame.  They might as well have played with flashlights.

I think it was.

1998 if I'm not mistaken.

codypet    128

Why were the red and green lights on at the same time?   Also did anyone else notice the light column coming from Pulse over Eola?

John Hargrove    655
10 hours ago, codypet said:

Why were the red and green lights on at the same time?   Also did anyone else notice the light column coming from Pulse over Eola?

Likely a long exposure due to low light level.

• Like 1

JFW657    1078
On 7/11/2017 at 7:20 PM, metal93 said:

I snapped a couple of photos of the Majesty Building in Altamonte today. Referencing the very fist post of this thread, which happens to also be about the Majesty Building, it hasn't changed a whole lot in 12+ years since those pictures were taken. There is still a long way to go, I was hoping the structural for the two ends of the podium to be well along the way, but looks like not. I didn't see workers on the site but then again these were taken around 6:30, so whoever was there might have left for the day by then. They're not going to meet their end of 2017 goal. It's a shame because this is actually a nice building.

I wish that religious broadcasting nut would just sell it to a developer with enough money to finish it and get it leased it out. This is ridiculous.