THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

13 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Florida Hospital garage?  Thought about trying to take a photo from the top of there once, then was too lazy to do it. There will be a couple more mid rises in the foreground soon with the Yard and other projects in Ivanhoe district. 

I've taken pics from up there before, but they weren't anywhere near that dramatic looking. Probably because I used a regular point and shoot camera without a good zoom lens or any kind of f-stop settings, etc, etc.

Something about the light in that pic is very interesting and the skyline background seems to be pulled in closer, as happens in pics taken with a telephoto lens.

30 minutes ago, alex said:

That photo's actually from the account of Orlando-based photographer Steve Madow, in case you want to give him a follow: https://www.instagram.com/stevenmadow/ (Or just look at his other cool shots of Orlando.)

Ahhh, thanks for that. :thumbsup:

The guy does some nice work. Obviously uses a high end camera and probably filters too, judging by the unusual looking lighting in most of his photos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Ahhh, thanks for that. :thumbsup:

The guy does some nice work. Obviously uses a high end camera and probably filters too, judging by the unusual looking lighting in most of his photos.

Yes, there are definitely some good photos on there, and a DSLR with a big lens and a tripod were used. A warming filter was also likely used (although not sure if on camera or in post) and saturation was applied as well as a gradient to the skyline itself to give it a more dramatic effect. (makes the buildings actually look taller). It looks like he masked the sky in photoshop and then applied the gradient overlay to the buildings only and left the sky as is (or maybe brightness/hue/saturation separately). 

18 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yes, there are definitely some good photos on there, and a DSLR with a big lens and a tripod were used. A warming filter was also likely used (although not sure if on camera or in post) and saturation was applied as well as a gradient to the skyline itself to give it a more dramatic effect. (makes the buildings actually look taller). It looks like he masked the sky in photoshop and then applied the gradient overlay to the buildings only and left the sky as is (or maybe brightness/hue/saturation separately). 

That masking and gradient overlay Photoshop stuff is all above my level.

I just figured the magnified skyline effect was due to lens compression, which is common when using a telephoto lens.

That is correct. The telephoto lens he used makes the buildings appear larger in comparison to the foreground and alters the depth of field. It also makes the trees and buildings look more dense than other lenses.  Here is a decent explanation:

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/telephoto-lenses.htm

As for the gradient on the buildings, that can be accomplished using an on-lens physical gradient filter or vignette effect, but it looks to me like it was done digitally because it appears as though the sky itself is not darkened (although I could be wrong, light can do weird stuff depending on combo of lens/filter). 

The photographer posted some of his equipment that showed he is using a Panasonic Lumix GH-5 with Leica Telephoto lens and tripod, as well as some filters. (probably $5,000 at least for that setup alone). Although he has multiple Panasonic Lumix bodies, so may have used the cheaper one. 

Capture.PNG.cc80dfd733fbef17d042ed2a4a9904e5.PNG

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Kinda makes me feel good about my simple shot of Lake Eola being co-opted by the City of Orlando in Christmas of 2014.  I didn't have near as much equipment.

LOL. you can take some great pictures with just an iPhone. That's what I usually use most of the time. I have a work camera that is a cheaper Canon Rebel and a couple of old Canon IS lenses, 28-135mm, 75-300 TF, and a new 18-55mm wide angle.  Have to see if they will let me take them out to play one day for personal stuff.  That would be cool!

Can't afford the type of equipment Steve has, for sure.  I think his mid-price Camera is worth more than my car, lol!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 2:09 PM, dcluley98 said:

LOL. you can take some great pictures with just an iPhone. That's what I usually use most of the time. I have a work camera that is a cheaper Canon Rebel and a couple of old Canon IS lenses, 28-135mm, 75-300 TF, and a new 18-55mm wide angle.  Have to see if they will let me take them out to play one day for personal stuff.  That would be cool!

Can't afford the type of equipment Steve has, for sure.  I think his mid-price Camera is worth more than my car, lol!

With regard to these zoom photos, do you have any, or have you seen any pics of the VAB from either The Eye or the Seaworld tower?  They say you can see it on a clear day.