THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

The pano-stitch glitched when my friend's bulldog moved. But this was the fog rolling in from the deck on Lake Eola last night.  The bulldog got all distorted and trippy looking now because it got distracted and started walking during the shot, haha. Interesting colors at play refracting off the mist in the air and on the surfaces. 

Higgins Serpent On a Foggy Night.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ if that building on the corner of Orange downtown the brick historical building is vacant they should convert to apartments or hotel.  It would make a great boutique hotel.  

I’m wondering if it still belongs to the county and the red tape is tying it up.

It was one of the oldest banks in town and crashed during the Depression and then Florida National until they moved uptown in the ‘60’s.

After that, it was the Election Supervisor’s office and then housed the FAMU law school until they built their campus by I4.

So far as I know, it’s been empty since then.

My dream use would be to convert several of those buildings into an arts school like SCAD did in Savannah. Sadly, our current mayor, who is great on some things like diversity, hasn’t shown much interest in preservation.

Something you might like being from Charlotte, the building just south of there was our Ivey’s department store from 1944-76.

• Like 1

I wish a bank would lease out the bottom couple of floors and open a downtown branch in the lobby. Lease out the rest of the floors as office space. :thumbsup:

And one other thing I wish they'd do after they finish fixing that wacky window on the Angebilt, is to remove that little extension on the NW corner of the roof. Then go over to the Metcalf building and do the same with those things on the south side of the roof. Maybe extend the cornice around the rest of the roofline.

All that stuff has been driving my OCD crazy for years!!!!

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I wish a bank would lease out the bottom couple of floors and open a downtown branch in the lobby. Lease out the rest of the floors as office space. :thumbsup:

And one other thing I wish they'd do after they finish fixing that wacky window on the Angebilt, is to remove that little extension on the NW corner of the roof. Then go over to the Metcalf building and do the same with those things on the south side of the roof. Maybe extend the cornice around the rest of the roofline.

All that stuff has been driving my OCD crazy for years!!!!

As the major banks cull their branch fleets (as the boomers begin to die off, the millennials replacing us don’t see much point in going to a bank when they can just go online), it would likely have to be a community bank doing it for vanity purposes. Only problem with that is I’m not sure how much visibility you’d get at that location. (Another interesting stat: ATM usage in the US has peaked as more folks rely on debit/credit cards and the newer forms of payment.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Based on the cars in the bottom pic, that appears to be from the early to mid-50’s (the Ivey’s sign also indicates that time period - it was Yowell-Drew until 1944 and it took a while to update the signage due to war rationing and postwar shortages).

Anyway, the Baynham Shoes sign intrigues me because it’s so large but is a store I don’t remember at all from my first trips downtown in the mid-60’s.

Most of the retailers downtown also established  branches at Colonial Plaza and/or WP Mall when they opened but, again, no sign of Baynham Shoes. I’d love to know where they went. Maybe they spent too much on the sign....

Also, I thought the Downtowner was kind of cool - it was like the TraveLodge on steroids!

Sadly, by the time it was demolished, it was in awful shape (I was in a Young Toastmasters’ group in hs  and our parent club met at the Downtowner’s ground floor meeting room on Saturday mornings).

BTW, the sax mural was commissioned when The Beacham was known as the Great Southern Music Hall (late ‘70’s, I think).

Great pics, tho!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

If I am orienting correctly, that Library Square proposal has the tower where Modera is currently. 

No, the tower is where the current main entrance is on Central.

model-library-square-big.jpg&key=4cb174b

The view is looking from NE to SW across Rosalind towards Magnolia. The extension of the old, original library is on the parcel where Cambria is proposed to go.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

No, the tower is where the current main entrance is on Central.

The view is looking from NE to SW across Rosalind towards Magnolia. The extension of the old, original library is on the parcel where Cambria is proposed to go.

Thanks, @JFW657.  I had been scratching my head trying to figure out that orientation, thought maybe the photo was flipped.  So the library expansion was originally planned for the Cambria/St. George lot? Anyone know/remember the story on that?

context.jpg

• Like 2