sunshine

THE Orlando Photo Thread

So looking at those photos and seeing the old building with the Orlando mural on from the top of the page, it made me realize what a loss that building was during that fire in 2003.  

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

There were some pretty good pics in there. Most I've seen before, but a couple I haven't.

This one, I believe is from where the current Orange County Court House is.

What you'd have seen looking north from where Magnolia dead ends into Livingston:

savingsandloan.jpg

Not sure, but this MIGHT be the school building that sat on the site where Radius is going up:

orlandopublicschool.jpg

The top one was the main branch of Orlando Federal Savings.

The Orlando Public School as indicated by the sign over the door, was located at South and Orange. It later became OPD HQ until the Municipal Justice Building opened and was demolished shortly thereafter (it was just about ready to fall on its own by then).

It’s quite possible the school that burned where Radius is under construction was a clone (like Princeton and Grand Ave.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The top one was the main branch of Orlando Federal Savings.

The Orlando Public School as indicated by the sign over the door, was located at South and Orange. It later became OPD HQ until the Municipal Justice Building opened and was demolished shortly thereafter (it was just about ready to fall on its own by then).

It’s quite possible the school that burned where Radius is under construction was a clone (like Princeton and Grand Ave.)

I can tell you that it was very similar because I remember back around '82 or so  before they demo'd it, I walked up to it and walked around it, looking through the windows that weren't boarded up.

I think that top OFS pic was where the OCCH is now, though.

If not, it's nearly identical to what was there in the 80's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I can tell you that it was very similar because I remember back around '82 or so  before they demo'd it, I walked up to it and walked around it, looking through the windows that weren't boarded up.

I think that top OFS pic was where the OCCH is now, though.

If not, it's nearly identical to what was there in the 80's.

You’re right. They torn down the OFS building (it was CenTrust at the time, I think) to build the new courthouse.

It was in great shape and we were bummed but tried to get over it based on the smaller versions in Colonialtown, Pine Hills and Butler Plaza, all of which are still in use (although I haven’t been up 436 lately to see how the last one’s doing).

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

You’re right. They torn down the OFS building (it was CenTrust at the time, I think) to build the new courthouse.

It was in great shape and we were bummed but tried to get over it based on the smaller versions in Colonialtown, Pine Hills and Butler Plaza, all of which are still in use (although I haven’t been up 436 lately to see how the last one’s doing).

IIRC, by the 80's, the building on the left side of the the picture was no longer there. 

Or maybe it was there but I just don't remember it.

I so wish I had taken more pictures back around '82 - '83 when I first moved over here.

I posted this in The Press in the Coffee House over the weekend but I know some of our crew never make it in there.

Ennis Davis at The Jaxson has taken some great pics and reminds us that things are mostly on track downtown. His outsider perspective is much appreciated.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/boom-times-in-downtown-orlando/

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3