THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

On 5/20/2020 at 1:23 AM, spenser1058 said:

Dunno how real the show is but a guy, his name was Aaron Fechter, went to Edgewater and USF, had a warehouse downtown that blew up a few years back so at least part of it was real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Fechter

This was a few years back so that show must be an oldie but goodie

It says it was Showbiz Pizza Place but close enough.

And, for total six degrees of separation, his mother taught at Lake Silver when I was there and his dad had an office at Parkwood Plaza, my hangout as a youngster.

Oh now here’s a little deja vu for you. After this whole sub thread started by @JFW657 about an obscure show with Chuck E. Cheese pieces being moved and my mention about Aaron Fechter and the exploding warehouse, Ken Storey posts this piece on the chain, Aaron and Orlando in Orlando Weekly:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/05/26/chuck-e-cheese-might-be-trying-to-hide-who-they-are-but-orlando-still-owes-a-lot-to-this-mouse

*Cue the Twilight Zone theme*

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh now here’s a little deja vu for you. After this whole sub thread started by @JFW657 about an obscure show with Chuck E. Cheese pieces being moved and my mention about Aaron Fechter and the exploding warehouse, Ken Storey posts this piece on the chain, Aaron and Orlando in Orlando Weekly:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/05/26/chuck-e-cheese-might-be-trying-to-hide-who-they-are-but-orlando-still-owes-a-lot-to-this-mouse

*Cue the Twilight Zone theme*

Okay.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Here's the skyline from The Yard pool deck. It's got quite the view.

103135410_3044058975701845_8346171061956554758_n.thumb.jpg.3bd2a49d7d54528a2c9bf351cfbee62b.jpg

Perfect shot: Florida Born, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to try and snag it as SunRail or Amtrak go by...If he can do it, we need to buy him amazing BEER.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Perfect shot: Florida Born, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to try and snag it as SunRail or Amtrak go by...If he can do it, we need to buy him amazing BEER.

Ummm.... might wanna go back and recheck your photo credit there....  :whistling:

@Smileguy, Can you go to the corner of that area that  has the railing around it and see more directly down the rail line? 

A tripod set right there with a telephoto lens would absolutely be awesome if you can see down the line while the SunRail train is passing by with some depth of field of the skyline in the background. 

Edit: BTW, not saying the shot you got isn't fantastic. IT IS!  A telephoto lense would be able to focus a bit down the tracks and get the skyline while missing the adjacent building if the line is right, though. 

Edited by dcluley98

46 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

@Smileguy, Can you go to the corner of that area that  has the railing around it and see more directly down the rail line? 

A tripod set right there with a telephoto lens would absolutely be awesome if you can see down the line while the SunRail train is passing by with some depth of field of the skyline in the background. 

Edit: BTW, not saying the shot you got isn't fantastic. IT IS!  A telephoto lense would be able to focus a bit down the tracks and get the skyline while missing the adjacent building if the line is right, though. 

Yes, you can go all the way to that corner. These were taken quickly on my iPhone during conversation, but someone with the proper equipment and know-how could capture a much better shot.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, JFW657 said:

Back on topic.....

Here's an old pic of the East West Expressway aka The 408 under construction in the early 70's....

21272851_10214164000030824_1732793838541

Looks to be right around Summerlin....

I've always wondered what the space between Anderson and South St looked like before the 408. Was there a "main road" through that area? I imagine piles of houses being torn down. There are quite a few lovely vintage houses/bungalows that currently border Anderson to the south. Not quite as many on the South Street side. Anyone have any info? Cheers.

3 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I've always wondered what the space between Anderson and South St looked like before the 408. Was there a "main road" through that area? I imagine piles of houses being torn down. There are quite a few lovely vintage houses/bungalows that currently border Anderson to the south. Not quite as many on the South Street side. Anyone have any info? Cheers.

I can't say with any certainty, but I would imagine that there were north facing houses on the south side of South Street and south facing houses on the north side of Anderson, probably with their backyards meeting at the property line.

• Like 1

Until you got to Mills.  Anderson dead ended at the Urban Wetlands (where a sidestreet exists today.  Greenwood extended all the way to South with a Grand entrance (which is shown in this map as a grid of roads) and then Lake Como's Buckminster Cir continued were 408 is today.  

http://orlandomemory.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/1934-Orlando-Street-map.pdf

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1