THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, I considered that but it made too much sense. :D

Looking closer at the building and the semi-circular overhang, a ladder would have been impossible and a pole would have been difficult at best. 

I notice to the right of the center feature, it looks like it's open back in there. Open enough for people to access the sign from the back. Also, the edges of the circular weather sign look a bit irregular. 

It's very likely they could remove it from behind, change the letters then replace it.

Just a guess. 

I'd guess the horizontal bars that is behind the letters is the mounting system. The letters could be attached together as well if its a hook system, so its not as hard as it seems using a pole. I just can't imagine them bothering with it if it was going in any position where they could fall (such as a ladder or an opening from the back) to update the weather every single day, especially without modern day lifts.

1 hour ago, aent said:

I'd guess the horizontal bars that is behind the letters is the mounting system. The letters could be attached together as well if its a hook system, so its not as hard as it seems using a pole. I just can't imagine them bothering with it if it was going in any position where they could fall (such as a ladder or an opening from the back) to update the weather every single day, especially without modern day lifts.

The horizontal bars are most definitely for mounting the letters.

If you look at current pictures of the building, there is a single large horizontal bar across the disc, almost as it it were put there to hold it in place and keep it from falling forward.

sentweathersign.png

Maybe there had previously been a CLOCK in there.... and they replaced it with the two clocks above it, then put in that disc as a space-filler, which as an afterthought, they decided to use as a changeable weather thing. And if it had been a clock, there would have to have been access to the rear for setting the time, maintenance repair, etc.

Check this out...

sent3dvw.png

Aerial/satellite 3D view of  the roof .... definitely access to the rear of the disc thing.

Either way, it's fun to speculate about, though. :thumbsup:

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

@KnightBay They are planning to eventually extend Terry Avenue as the main through street in Creative Village/Parramore over the railroad track in the area and connecting all the way through to go under the new 408 and connect to new I-4 West(South) on-ramp. 

See this:  https://www.orlando.gov/files/sharedassets/public/documents/city-and-district-plans/pcnp-finaldocument.pdf

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Welcome to the Orlando forum, @KnightBay !

Thanks! I've been a long time lurker and I finally decided to join in on the fun here. 

15 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

@KnightBay They are planning to eventually extend Terry Avenue as the main through street in Creative Village/Parramore over the railroad track in the area and connecting all the way through to go under the new 408 and connect to new I-4 West(South) on-ramp. 

See this:  https://www.orlando.gov/files/sharedassets/public/documents/city-and-district-plans/pcnp-finaldocument.pdf

Thanks for sharing, I remember hearing about Terry being extended through this area a while ago but was not sure if it was still happening. 

However, the area they cleared is way larger than what is needed for a road extension. Any clue about what is happening with the remainder of the land? 

• Like 1

The grassy fenced off area is absolutely for the road extension ROW. The other area to the east I don't know of anything planned. I think it is just a surface lot that may be used for construction laydown currently for the other area projects since they are beginning work on the Creative Village Commons that they were using for laydown. Looks like they have construction work trucks and roll-off dumpsters on the lot now. It was an old warehouse, but I have never seen anything planned for that parcel. Everything I have seen planned for UCF and Creative Village is north of the RR tracks.  That is a pretty big chunk south of the RR tracks if you include the slab to the east that used to be a warehouse as well. 

In pic below, the green spot is where Terry land is. To the right is where they demo'd that warehouse in red, and to the right of that is the other old vacant parcel.  I assume you are referring to those.  In the Parramore master plan, they have that whole strip of warehouse parcels south of the RR tracks listed as "potential transit station" if they ever create the Orange Blossom Express line. (long term planning right there :P) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Blossom_Express

Untitled-1.png

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

The grassy fenced off area is absolutely for the road extension ROW. The other area to the east I don't know of anything planned. I think it is just a surface lot that may be used for construction laydown currently for the other area projects since they are beginning work on the Creative Village Commons that they were using for laydown. Looks like they have construction work trucks and roll-off dumpsters on the lot now. It was an old warehouse, but I have never seen anything planned for that parcel. Everything I have seen planned for UCF and Creative Village is north of the RR tracks.  That is a pretty big chunk south of the RR tracks if you include the slab to the east that used to be a warehouse as well. 

In pic below, the green spot is where Terry land is. To the right is where they demo'd that warehouse in red, and to the right of that is the other old vacant parcel.  I assume you are referring to those.  In the Parramore master plan, they have that whole strip of warehouse parcels south of the RR tracks listed as "potential transit station" if they ever create the Orange Blossom Express line. (long term planning right there :P) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Blossom_Express

Untitled-1.png

I believe they are still doing remediation of an old gasification site in the "red" zone you have marked. Probably what @KnightBay is seeing is the hauling of and swapping of dirt. I don't know of any planned use at this time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I believe they are still doing remediation of an old gasification site in the "red" zone you have marked. Probably what @KnightBay is seeing is the hauling of and swapping of dirt. I don't know of any planned use at this time.

Here's the superfund page for the site that describes current activities and conditions. Still not clean enough to be used. - https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/SiteProfiles/index.cfm?fuseaction=second.cleanup&id=0405159 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Here's the superfund page for the site that describes current activities and conditions. Still not clean enough to be used. - https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/SiteProfiles/index.cfm?fuseaction=second.cleanup&id=0405159 

Groovy. I've never seen that site before. Thanks for new info source.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Woohoo! @nite owℓ is back. I hadn’t seen you with us for a bit. 

Yeah, I've been keeping busy offline... getting a few things lined up.

Unfortunately now that we're in a recession, I doubt Orlando will see very many quality construction projects pop up (if the previous economic downturn can be used as an example). So I'm expecting another lull here on UP until we finally get a few exciting projects to fawn/fight over. ;)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Yeah, I've been keeping busy offline... getting a few things lined up.

Unfortunately now that we're in a recession, I doubt Orlando will see very many quality construction projects pop up (if the previous economic downturn can be used as an example). So I'm expecting another lull here on UP until we finally get a few exciting projects to fawn/fight over. ;)

Did you say fight?????

Why, them's fightin' words, mister!!!!  character0176.gif 

• 3 weeks later...

Once upon a time this was Abney's Music Center (I couldn't find an actual photo). I spent many weekends there (in my younger days) and Ronnie (and company) where the nicest folks you could imagine. They greeted me by my name every time I entered that building. I bought a few guitars, mixers and multitrack recorders there back in the day...and the bear mosaics (on the exterior) are the stuff of legend. Great memories. Cheers.

sPEvAId.jpg

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 2