THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

10 hours ago, elefants said:

That is such a good looking tree.  I really do hope they incorporate it into whatever ends up on that lot.

It would be cool if they could (huge expense notwithstanding) move it diagonally to the front (NW) corner of the lot, then build behind and around it.

Call the building The Oak Tower.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

I don't think it's really all that Feasible to move a tree of that size and majesty. 

How about we just plan any building around it and embrace it as part of the development.  

Au contraire mon frère.

We live in the age of technological marvel. Expertise in every field imaginable. Giant machinery that can accomplish heretofore seemingly impossible tasks.

"This is the age of miracle and wonder..... lasers in the jungle somewhere...", to quote Paul Simon.

Humans can do just about anything these days. :thumbsup: 

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Au contraire mon frère.

We live in the age of technological marvel. Expertise in every field imaginable. Giant machinery that can accomplish heretofore seemingly impossible tasks.

"This is the age of miracle and wonder..... lasers in the jungle somewhere...", to quote Paul Simon.

Humans can do just about anything these days. :thumbsup: 

Wow

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

I don't think it's really all that Feasible to move a tree of that size and majesty. 

How about we just plan any building around it and embrace it as part of the development.  

You can move it. It is just costly and the trees do not always survive. 

4 minutes ago, jack said:

You can move it. It is just costly and the trees do not always survive. 

Yes, I mentioned the "huge expense", but if a developer with deep pockets and a love of beautiful old trees were involved, who knows?

"For larger trees, 10 inches to 24 inches in caliper, unconventional methods are needed. These require multiple steps for digging and preparing the root-ball, lifting, transporting, and installation. Trees over 24 inches are generally referred to as ”mega-tree” moves, and require extraordinary methods, procedures, and equipment. While transplant costs will vary in different parts of the country, a 10- to 24-inch caliper tree will cost +/- $1,200 per caliper inch. Add another 20 to 30 percent if cranes are needed, or if the tree is being moved off-site. Above 24 inches, the costs jump significantly and can easily reach $10,000 per caliper inch, due to the increased tree/soil weight and the equipment necessary to move them. While transplanting a single 50-inch caliper oak tree at a potential cost of $500,000 is not within the reach of most owners, transplanting trees in the 10- to 24-inch caliper range is cost-effective under certain circumstances, and provides many of the benefits mentioned."

https://www.parksandrecbusiness.com/articles/2015/01/30/moving-large-trees

I would guesstimate the tree in question to be about 30" in diameter.

51 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, I mentioned the "huge expense", but if a developer with deep pockets and a love of beautiful old trees were involved, who knows?

"For larger trees, 10 inches to 24 inches in caliper, unconventional methods are needed. These require multiple steps for digging and preparing the root-ball, lifting, transporting, and installation. Trees over 24 inches are generally referred to as ”mega-tree” moves, and require extraordinary methods, procedures, and equipment. While transplant costs will vary in different parts of the country, a 10- to 24-inch caliper tree will cost +/- $1,200 per caliper inch. Add another 20 to 30 percent if cranes are needed, or if the tree is being moved off-site. Above 24 inches, the costs jump significantly and can easily reach $10,000 per caliper inch, due to the increased tree/soil weight and the equipment necessary to move them. While transplanting a single 50-inch caliper oak tree at a potential cost of $500,000 is not within the reach of most owners, transplanting trees in the 10- to 24-inch caliper range is cost-effective under certain circumstances, and provides many of the benefits mentioned."

https://www.parksandrecbusiness.com/articles/2015/01/30/moving-large-trees

I would guesstimate the tree in question to be about 30" in diameter.

That first paragraph is literally the opposite of the kind of developers we typically get in Orlando. We mostly get the kinds that are solely concerned with making a profit at any cost - aesthetics, neighborhood fit, and yes, trees be damned.

And the ones that do have deep pockets and want to build something eye-catching usually get run off by the ARB or the FAA.

Edited by Uncommon

1 hour ago, Uncommon said:

That first paragraph is literally the opposite of the kind of developers we typically get in Orlando. We mostly get the kinds that are solely concerned with making a profit at any cost - aesthetics, neighborhood fit, and yes, trees be damned.

And the ones that do have deep pockets and want to build something eye-catching usually get run off by the ARB or the FAA.

Some months ago when I first brought up the issue of "the tree", I was talking about the possibility of some kind of public "Save The Tree" campaign. Maybe a GoFundMe with some publicity to draw attention to it. 

One can dream....  

• Like 2

We should try to get the City of Orlando to recognize it as a "Specimen Tree" under the City of Orlando code: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/03/LandscapeCodeFinal2013-12-09.pdf

Sec. 60.210. Specimen or Historic Trees. The Parks Official shall be authorized to officially designate certain protected trees as Specimen or Historic Trees, based on their size, age, historic association, species or unique characteristics. Trees so designated within the City jurisdiction shall be protected without regard to their location.  (a) Specimen Trees. Specimen Trees are trees that have been identified by the Parks Official as being of outstanding mature size, excellent form, and a healthy example of the species. Specimen trees shall include Champion Trees identified by the Florida Division of Forestry and/or American Forests.

https://www.orlando.gov/Our-Government/Departments-Offices/FPR/Parks

John Perrone, Division Manager
[email protected]

Andy Kittsley, Forestry Manager
[email protected]

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

We should try to get the City of Orlando to recognize it as a "Specimen Tree" under the City of Orlando code: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/03/LandscapeCodeFinal2013-12-09.pdf

Sec. 60.210. Specimen or Historic Trees. The Parks Official shall be authorized to officially designate certain protected trees as Specimen or Historic Trees, based on their size, age, historic association, species or unique characteristics. Trees so designated within the City jurisdiction shall be protected without regard to their location.  (a) Specimen Trees. Specimen Trees are trees that have been identified by the Parks Official as being of outstanding mature size, excellent form, and a healthy example of the species. Specimen trees shall include Champion Trees identified by the Florida Division of Forestry and/or American Forests.

https://www.orlando.gov/Our-Government/Departments-Offices/FPR/Parks

John Perrone, Division Manager
[email protected]

Andy Kittsley, Forestry Manager
[email protected]

I wonder if @F-L-A would like to head up the effort? *runs*

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

How does one save this tree and still build on this site? 

Trimming the branches back a bit would create more room.

Adding the parcel to the east of the lot to create a new parcel would allow more room.

orngelivtower.jpg

Scaling back the size of the building would also work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Isn't the alley something that can't be built on?  I guess straddle it like the Plaza did Court St?

Or like the BOA did across State Ln.

I suppose if they can get permission to build a soccer stadium across Parramore Ave, they could get permission to build an office building across a little used alley. 

46 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Or like the BOA did across State Ln.

I suppose if they can get permission to build a soccer stadium across Parramore Ave, they could get permission to build an office building across a little used alley. 

It will probably just be moved or worse. The dimensions left over are not ideal for a usable floor plate,