THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

1 hour ago, jack said:

The dimensions left over are not ideal for a usable floor plate, 

The dimensions @JFW657 illustrated above would necessitate a tower thinner than The Vue, Sky House or Citi...and would negate the possibility of a mixed use tower as had been proposed originally. 

I am a lover of trees, but I just don't see how it happens on this particular lot at the intersection of two major downtown streets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, uncreativeusername said:

The dimensions @JFW657 illustrated above would necessitate a tower thinner than The Vue, Sky House or Citi...and would negate the possibility of a mixed use tower as had been proposed originally. 

I am a lover of trees, but I just don't see how it happens on this particular lot at the intersection of two major downtown streets. 

1.)The tower section running along Livingston needn't be very tall, so it could be thinner. 

Maybe six or eight stories.

The tower section parallel with Orange could be the tall one . 

OR....

2.) The thin tower could be made fatter by trimming back the tree a bit.

I only drew it to the dimensions I did so as to not to visually encroach on the existing tree canopy.

EITHER WAY.....

3.) That is just a quickie conceptual sketch meant to illustrate a general idea, not a hard and fast design proposal. 

:thumbsup: 

56 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

1.)The tower section running along Livingston needn't be very tall, so it could be thinner. 

Maybe six or eight stories.

The tower section parallel with Orange could be the tall one . 

OR....

2.) The thin tower could be made fatter by trimming back the tree a bit.

I only drew it to the dimensions I did so as to not to visually encroach on the existing tree canopy.

EITHER WAY.....

3.) That is just a quickie conceptual sketch meant to illustrate a general idea, not a hard and fast design proposal. 

:thumbsup: 

I know it was only a quick sketch, I wasn't criticising its accuracy.  I was observing that even any of Orlando's current thinnest residential towers wouldn't fit on this lot without trimming down half the tree (which defeats the purpose, I think).  

There are lots of things I wish Orlando held developers more accountable for; exposed and hideous parking structures, street-level activation, general design aesthetics, to name a few. In this case, expecting a developer to forgo building on the majority of the lot strikes me as unreasonably burdensome, especially in this location. Just my opinion. 

(For the record, I would be thrilled if someone engineered a solution inspired by Rainier Tower or 150 N Riverside...but I'm not holding my breath.)  

1 hour ago, uncreativeusername said:

35 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

I know it was only a quick sketch, I wasn't criticising its accuracy.  I was observing that even any of Orlando's current thinnest residential towers wouldn't fit on this lot without trimming down half the tree (which defeats the purpose, I think).  

There are lots of things I wish Orlando held developers more accountable for; exposed and hideous parking structures, street-level activation, general design aesthetics, to name a few. In this case, expecting a developer to forgo building on the majority of the lot strikes me as unreasonably burdensome, especially in this location. Just my opinion. 

(For the record, I would be thrilled if someone engineered a solution inspired by Rainier Tower or 150 N Riverside...but I'm not holding my breath.)  

I'm not sure it would really have to be all that thin.

Especially if that "wing" was not particularly tall.

orngelivpersp2.jpg

I tried to get the perspective as accurate as possible "free hand", but I think it's close.

And I actually made the footprint a little narrower than it needs to be. 

If they trimmed the canopy back a bit, they could go a little wider.

More recently, of course, they split Casa Feliz in WP in two and floated it across the lake to its new home.

And, of course, at Magic Kingdom, the Liberty Tree was moved from across property.

They don’t all make it though. The neighborhood I grew up in was all 1950’s concrete block single story and one three-story Edwardian frame house. We regarded it as the local haunted house.

It turns out when they widened West Colonial Drive in the ‘50’s, it had to be moved and was supposed to go on a lovely lot on Lake Lotta. Something went wrong and they only got to Ferguson Dr (the side street by Sun State Ford).  It looked so out of place.

5 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Just transplant it.   Like Disney did all of their's of similar stature.    Not hard, trench it, box it, schlep it, plant it.  Everyone is happy.

It would be nice if they could schlep it over to Eola Park or Constitution Green.

But that would involve taking down power lines and traffic signals all along the way.

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Here are those email adresses again: 

John Perrone, Division Manager
[email protected]

Andy Kittsley, Forestry Manager
[email protected]

https://twitter.com/DanielCluley/status/1390376625330659328

How did you word your letter?

What specifically did you request? 

I ask because I'm not sure who I'm addressing and what they are in a position to do.

Thanks

Did you send an email yet? 

It's pretty easy, you just click on the links and say what you think to those people up there . 

I would speak from the heart. 

This is what I sent them, personally: 

"Hi Andy,

I was wondering what it would take to get this tree located at the lot on the SE corner of Livingston and Orange a "Specimen Tree" status. There are plans out there posed to the MPB of removing this tree in development of the lot. I think this would be a disservice to the citizens of Orlando, and would like to see a plan saving the tree and incorporating it into any development of the lot.

I do not think I am alone in this wish."

SAVE THE TREE! 

• Like 2

So my limited understanding is that the City and Parks Division can grant a "Specimen Tree" status to this tree under the City code and it will be subject to review before removal. 

"Protection. The Parks Official may impose requirements for the protection of Specimen and Historic Trees.

Removal and Encroachment. The removal of or encroachment on any designated Specimen or Historic Tree is prohibited unless authorized under a valid tree removal or tree encroachment permit."

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/03/LandscapeCodeFinal2013-12-09.pdf

Key words are "Specimen Tree" or "Historic Tree" 

Pretty sure this meets the 30" trunk status but may hafta hop a fence and take a picture. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

So my limited understanding is that the City and Parks Division can grant a "Specimen Tree" status to this tree under the City code and it will be subject to review before removal. 

"Protection. The Parks Official may impose requirements for the protection of Specimen and Historic Trees.

Removal and Encroachment. The removal of or encroachment on any designated Specimen or Historic Tree is prohibited unless authorized under a valid tree removal or tree encroachment permit."

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/03/LandscapeCodeFinal2013-12-09.pdf

Key words are "Specimen Tree" or "Historic Tree" 

Pretty sure this meets the 30" trunk status but may hafta hop a fence and take a picture. 

@dcluley98 - Secret Tree Agent.

In case anybody was not aware of the applicable tree-preservation code and wanted to know what email addresses to bother again: 

Sec. 60.210. Specimen or Historic Trees. The Parks Official shall be authorized to officially designate certain protected trees as Specimen or Historic Trees, based on their size, age, historic association, species or unique characteristics. Trees so designated within the City jurisdiction shall be protected without regard to their location.  (a) Specimen Trees. Specimen Trees are trees that have been identified by the Parks Official as being of outstanding mature size, excellent form, and a healthy example of the species. Specimen trees shall include Champion Trees identified by the Florida Division of Forestry and/or American Forests.

https://www.orlando.gov/Our-Government/Departments-Offices/FPR/Parks

[email protected]

[email protected]

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

In case anybody was not aware of the applicable tree-preservation code and wanted to know what email addresses to bother again: 

Sec. 60.210. Specimen or Historic Trees. The Parks Official shall be authorized to officially designate certain protected trees as Specimen or Historic Trees, based on their size, age, historic association, species or unique characteristics. Trees so designated within the City jurisdiction shall be protected without regard to their location.  (a) Specimen Trees. Specimen Trees are trees that have been identified by the Parks Official as being of outstanding mature size, excellent form, and a healthy example of the species. Specimen trees shall include Champion Trees identified by the Florida Division of Forestry and/or American Forests.

https://www.orlando.gov/Our-Government/Departments-Offices/FPR/Parks

[email protected]

[email protected]

I was wondering how the 2019 state law that took power away from municipalities to enact local ordinances around trees would impact this, but it appears to only be residential. 

Private Property Rights; Prohibits local governments from requiring notices, applications, approvals, permits, fees, or mitigation for pruning, trimming, or removal of trees on residential property if property owner obtains specified documentation; prohibits local governments from requiring property owners to replant such trees; provides exception for mangrove protection actions; deletes provision that authorizes electric utilities to perform certain right-of-way tree maintenance only if property owner has received local government approval; creates Property Owner Bill of Rights; requires county property appraisers to provide specified information on their websites.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...