THE Orlando Photo Thread

We should try to get the City of Orlando to recognize it as a "Specimen Tree" under the City of Orlando code: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/03/LandscapeCodeFinal2013-12-09.pdf

Sec. 60.210. Specimen or Historic Trees. The Parks Official shall be authorized to officially designate certain protected trees as Specimen or Historic Trees, based on their size, age, historic association, species or unique characteristics. Trees so designated within the City jurisdiction shall be protected without regard to their location.  (a) Specimen Trees. Specimen Trees are trees that have been identified by the Parks Official as being of outstanding mature size, excellent form, and a healthy example of the species. Specimen trees shall include Champion Trees identified by the Florida Division of Forestry and/or American Forests.

https://www.orlando.gov/Our-Government/Departments-Offices/FPR/Parks

John Perrone, Division Manager
[email protected]

Andy Kittsley, Forestry Manager
[email protected]

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a new angle for you.  This is the demo of a building at the ORMC campus making way for a new orthopedic tower.

Sunrise and a bit of crane

I've loved this tree since I was a kid. (29) Just thought this was cool. 

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

We should try to get the City of Orlando to recognize it as a "Specimen Tree" under the City of Orlando code: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/03/LandscapeCodeFinal2013-12-09.pdf

Sec. 60.210. Specimen or Historic Trees. The Parks Official shall be authorized to officially designate certain protected trees as Specimen or Historic Trees, based on their size, age, historic association, species or unique characteristics. Trees so designated within the City jurisdiction shall be protected without regard to their location.  (a) Specimen Trees. Specimen Trees are trees that have been identified by the Parks Official as being of outstanding mature size, excellent form, and a healthy example of the species. Specimen trees shall include Champion Trees identified by the Florida Division of Forestry and/or American Forests.

https://www.orlando.gov/Our-Government/Departments-Offices/FPR/Parks

John Perrone, Division Manager
[email protected]

Andy Kittsley, Forestry Manager
[email protected]

I wonder if @F-L-A would like to head up the effort? *runs*

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

How does one save this tree and still build on this site? 

Trimming the branches back a bit would create more room.

Adding the parcel to the east of the lot to create a new parcel would allow more room.

orngelivtower.jpg

Scaling back the size of the building would also work.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Isn't the alley something that can't be built on?  I guess straddle it like the Plaza did Court St?

Or like the BOA did across State Ln.

I suppose if they can get permission to build a soccer stadium across Parramore Ave, they could get permission to build an office building across a little used alley. 

46 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Or like the BOA did across State Ln.

I suppose if they can get permission to build a soccer stadium across Parramore Ave, they could get permission to build an office building across a little used alley. 

It will probably just be moved or worse. The dimensions left over are not ideal for a usable floor plate, 

1 hour ago, jack said:

The dimensions left over are not ideal for a usable floor plate, 

The dimensions @JFW657 illustrated above would necessitate a tower thinner than The Vue, Sky House or Citi...and would negate the possibility of a mixed use tower as had been proposed originally. 

I am a lover of trees, but I just don't see how it happens on this particular lot at the intersection of two major downtown streets. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, uncreativeusername said:

The dimensions @JFW657 illustrated above would necessitate a tower thinner than The Vue, Sky House or Citi...and would negate the possibility of a mixed use tower as had been proposed originally. 

I am a lover of trees, but I just don't see how it happens on this particular lot at the intersection of two major downtown streets. 

1.)The tower section running along Livingston needn't be very tall, so it could be thinner. 

Maybe six or eight stories.

The tower section parallel with Orange could be the tall one . 

OR....

2.) The thin tower could be made fatter by trimming back the tree a bit.

I only drew it to the dimensions I did so as to not to visually encroach on the existing tree canopy.

EITHER WAY.....

3.) That is just a quickie conceptual sketch meant to illustrate a general idea, not a hard and fast design proposal. 

:thumbsup: 

56 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

1.)The tower section running along Livingston needn't be very tall, so it could be thinner. 

Maybe six or eight stories.

The tower section parallel with Orange could be the tall one . 

OR....

2.) The thin tower could be made fatter by trimming back the tree a bit.

I only drew it to the dimensions I did so as to not to visually encroach on the existing tree canopy.

EITHER WAY.....

3.) That is just a quickie conceptual sketch meant to illustrate a general idea, not a hard and fast design proposal. 

:thumbsup: 

I know it was only a quick sketch, I wasn't criticising its accuracy.  I was observing that even any of Orlando's current thinnest residential towers wouldn't fit on this lot without trimming down half the tree (which defeats the purpose, I think).  

There are lots of things I wish Orlando held developers more accountable for; exposed and hideous parking structures, street-level activation, general design aesthetics, to name a few. In this case, expecting a developer to forgo building on the majority of the lot strikes me as unreasonably burdensome, especially in this location. Just my opinion. 

(For the record, I would be thrilled if someone engineered a solution inspired by Rainier Tower or 150 N Riverside...but I'm not holding my breath.)  

1 hour ago, uncreativeusername said:

35 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

I know it was only a quick sketch, I wasn't criticising its accuracy.  I was observing that even any of Orlando's current thinnest residential towers wouldn't fit on this lot without trimming down half the tree (which defeats the purpose, I think).  

There are lots of things I wish Orlando held developers more accountable for; exposed and hideous parking structures, street-level activation, general design aesthetics, to name a few. In this case, expecting a developer to forgo building on the majority of the lot strikes me as unreasonably burdensome, especially in this location. Just my opinion. 

(For the record, I would be thrilled if someone engineered a solution inspired by Rainier Tower or 150 N Riverside...but I'm not holding my breath.)  

I'm not sure it would really have to be all that thin.

Especially if that "wing" was not particularly tall.

orngelivpersp2.jpg

I tried to get the perspective as accurate as possible "free hand", but I think it's close.

And I actually made the footprint a little narrower than it needs to be. 

If they trimmed the canopy back a bit, they could go a little wider.

More recently, of course, they split Casa Feliz in WP in two and floated it across the lake to its new home.

And, of course, at Magic Kingdom, the Liberty Tree was moved from across property.

They don’t all make it though. The neighborhood I grew up in was all 1950’s concrete block single story and one three-story Edwardian frame house. We regarded it as the local haunted house.

It turns out when they widened West Colonial Drive in the ‘50’s, it had to be moved and was supposed to go on a lovely lot on Lake Lotta. Something went wrong and they only got to Ferguson Dr (the side street by Sun State Ford).  It looked so out of place.

5 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Just transplant it.   Like Disney did all of their's of similar stature.    Not hard, trench it, box it, schlep it, plant it.  Everyone is happy.

It would be nice if they could schlep it over to Eola Park or Constitution Green.

But that would involve taking down power lines and traffic signals all along the way.